Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

they claimed so in the demo

the demo that didn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

if they had somehow gotten rid of the camera hump the normie 8 would have been an unqualified success for me i think. at least the hump is graded a bit, where the x looks like it's sharply squared off

its square so when the phone slides around on the imat cause of its glass back it catches on the edge and stays put.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they should have made the bumps inaccessible to applications so you don't run into goofy poo poo like that or videos getting covered up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

please don't give them terrible ideas. a bezel-less screen is gonna be super eyestrain headache inducing. never mind the godawful rounded corners and poo poo.

thin bezels rule and the hilarious thick bezel on the current mac books make them look like cheap trash

as long as they don't put the comedy bump at the top it would be good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

your eye tends to be drawn to lighter colors and/or brighter things.

I used to have a monitor with a thin bezel in front of a window and it was awful. having my current iMac with its big bezels is much more tolerable.

visual separation is important. especially if you don’t leave your monitor on its default “staring into a flashlight” brightness.

sounds like a personal problem. I love the tiny bezel on my xps15 and haven't ever had a problem with it. my eyes can also focus on things at different distances tho so maybe that's it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but tbh i do enjoy your convoluted defense of cheap looking apple bezels

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/910134387722813440

i hope you don't mind waiting 12s longer for the phone to boot

apple phones always get slower with each release of ios

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

so do windows pcs

if new versions of windows are slower, which is rare, its due to added features. in ios they just make the existing features slower.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios is worse to use with every release. aside from win 8, windows is better w/ each release.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

quoting shaggar defending windows vista and ME

vista was fine. I never used me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

sure. but mapping your music to a tree hierarchy hardly makes sense. there are multiple sorting dimensions. what you really want is proper metadata and views into that database along various axes. sticking artist/album/01-title.mp3 into your file system is just one way of shoehorning that metadata in with only one sorting axis.

they should be stored in a tree hierarchy by album and then metadata can be indexed as well with the view being a combination of the two. the hierarchy gives you identifying information for the track which can be used to lookup metadata if it is missing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

the new apple tv also appears to gently caress up upscaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYL7ifFBw5c

they've also always sucked at imax formats and end up pan & scan'ing them, but that's old hat

[blockquote]I was really expecting — hoping! — this thing would blow me away.

But the new Apple TV doesn’t support Atmos. And it doesn’t support YouTube in 4K HDR. And it doesn’t have Disney or Marvel movies in 4K HDR. And it makes some 1080p content look less than great.[/blockquote]

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/16341876/new-apple-tv-4k-review-2017

apple not supporting vp9 is a decision I can get behind

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
are people at apple starting to accept how much of a hack jonny ives is?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

the guy who designed some of the most loved and recognizable products of all time? that jonny ives?

can you even name any of the designers at microsoft?

jonny ives is responsible for like 2 successful designs and then a wealth of disasters including the worst input devices of all time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also his few successes were during the jobs era which means ives probably had little say in them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I love the meta-irony.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no hes a bad designer and you only think hes good cause his name was on some older hardware he didnt control and the UI is the first place he had full control. Now that older designs are dying off and we're into full ives mode you have megatrash like the iphone x.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"his designs are great, they're just not really for people to use."

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wouildnt this be how it worked prior to app signing enforcement? Did they say they were gonna change that functionality?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the dell tb docks do not have a great reputation, but I have one of their usb-c docks and it works fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

I have that same dock and it'll randomly decide to not register mouse clicks and keyboard commands. on my windows latitude business laptop for business

i sometimes have problems w/ that when first connecting where it doesn't immediately recognize the usb devices, but i haven't had it disconnect during use.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

this is the s6 one but they're all basically the same and same price

https://www.amazon.ca/Protector-JETech-Premium-Tempered-Samsung/dp/B00V5WQL82

it comes with 2 screens hence why I say $5

I have a similar one for my 950 and its very nice. just line everything up carefully as described and clean the screen w/ the provided stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Please update the iPhone Steve Edition. Thanks

deprecated along w/ steve

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duckfarts posted:

protip: get 3 strips of clear tape, place the protector over the screen how you want(turn the screen on to make sure), then tape the protector down on one of the long sides like hinges on a door. this way you can just flop the screen down in the right place after removing the backing film and you don't have to do any manual alignment or whatever. some kits come with stickers to do this, some don't. also use a piece of tape to remove dust or prints before you flop the screen down

the kit I got came w/ the stickers, a sticky dust remover, an alcohol wipe, and a lint free wipe. it was like $2/protector and good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

pre-bent for your convenience

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tim is waiting for dongle saturation before he switches to usb-c

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the potential problem w/ usb-c wrt apple is existing usb-c dongles sold for mac books will be compatible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

the people that buy first part dongles now will buy first party usb-c dongles with their laptops

I'm saying if apple went to usb-c on the iphone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

people stole a few others, my other favorite is "Zionistlobby" is now an Israeli architecture subreddit

that rules

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as long as you don't get your cables from apple they'll be fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I suppose you would be surprised to learn that we weren't just hunched around a dimly lit table, our fingertips pressed together, laughing at how we're going to screw the customers out of more money with dongles while singing the stonecutters song.

I'm imagining the hack jonny ives in his featureless void testing materials to see which work the worst.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I replaced the Siri button in the upper right with a lock button which is nice but why doesn't OSX have a Win+L shortcut equivalent

osx has deliberately bad keyboard shortcuts so they can claim the mouse is faster and then remove more keys from the keyboard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vim users are subhuman filth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

what?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

emacs is better than vim

both are for subhuman filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Do people actually use text editors other than pico/nano?

pico/nano would be good if they had save and save as instead of just save as

• Locked thread