Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Rodatose posted:

it's not

I mean our perceptions might actually be an extended dream, too, and we can't disprove that - so now inception and all other "you're in the dreamworld" stories are real by your logic. Yet we can't be simultaneously both things - perceiving things in an automatic dreamstate AND being subject to a designed program. Just as we can't also be actually perceiving a real material world with shared social interactions and commonly held perceptions while also in a dream-state or simulation. Only one material reality can exist in a universe, and you can only use one set of physical laws for your perception at a time. The way you perceive things, and whether or not that method of perception tells you if you are currently perceiving a material reality is another question.
What if material reality isn't internally consistent with itself (something that quantum physics might indicate) therefore, in it's struggle for ideality, generating something more than pure materiality itself. This something more, could be the illusion, or dream where human social interactions exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Rodatose posted:

what if many things, friend, what if many things

until you can introduce positive evidence, they remain what ifs and the best model we have to go on is of a physical reality that we can infer probabilities of things happening from past consistent observations. until that more pure reality makes itself known and its properties start to assert itself, why bother stocking up on survival supplies for any number of alternate universes one might have dreamt up

But pure reality also encounters a big if in the subjective experience with all it's gaps, doubts, misunderstandings and failings of communication, maybe this is the evidence you need?

• Locked thread