Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
I was thinking about the Matrix, and how realistic it was/is. Everyone is familiar with the Matrix, so I don't have to explain what it's about, but basically the idea is that we're all brains in jars. How would any of us know? We wouldn't. It would be just like it is now. And, as the classic philosophical argument goes, since we're just like brains in jars, we literally are brains in jars.

But magical machines keeping us in jars seems strange, but true. That's when my friend jokingly pointed out that the human centipede is more realistic than the Matrix. I think this was supposed to make me rethink my thoughts, but the fact is, he has a good point. The human centipede is more realistic because it doesn't involve robots and you can actually physically connect people.

Now, if we apply logic, we see that if the Matrix is real (going by standard philosophy and modern logic research, the answer is yes - see above), and the human centipede is more realistic than the Matrix, then doesn't that mean the human centipede is real?

But I've never seen a human centipede, so there's got to be something else here. What do you all think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Rodatose posted:

e: you said you haven't seen a human centipede. but you also haven't seen a brain in a jar. You're assuming that just because something is a possibility that can't be disproven, it must be real. but that's a bad assumption, so you shouldn't assume that 'the matrix is literally real' in the first place

It's a sound argument by modern logic.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

Fados posted:

But pure reality also encounters a big if in the subjective experience with all it's gaps, doubts, misunderstandings and failings of communication, maybe this is the evidence you need?

That's if you're only thinking about "pure" reality. Have you ever considered that the truth might be somewhere in the middle?

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

why did she tattoo bacon on her chest

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

I recently saw The Martian, by Mark Wahlberg. I was thinking, if we faked the moon-landing, then why can't we fake a fake Mars-exploration mission? And that's when I realized, that like the human centipede, Mark Wahlberg may have actually visited Mars. Does anyone know how I can confirm this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread