Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EB Nulshit posted:

I was thinking about the Matrix, and how realistic it was/is. Everyone is familiar with the Matrix, so I don't have to explain what it's about, but basically the idea is that we're all brains in jars. How would any of us know? We wouldn't. It would be just like it is now. And, as the classic philosophical argument goes, since we're just like brains in jars, we literally are brains in jars.

But magical machines keeping us in jars seems strange, but true. That's when my friend jokingly pointed out that the human centipede is more realistic than the Matrix. I think this was supposed to make me rethink my thoughts, but the fact is, he has a good point. The human centipede is more realistic because it doesn't involve robots and you can actually physically connect people.

Now, if we apply logic, we see that if the Matrix is real (going by standard philosophy and modern logic research, the answer is yes - see above), and the human centipede is more realistic than the Matrix, then doesn't that mean the human centipede is real?

But I've never seen a human centipede, so there's got to be something else here. What do you all think?

like the Matrix it operates simultaneously on the symbolic and literal levels - just as society has us (metaphorically) sucking poo poo from the capitalist class, digesting it, and passing our refuse on to the underclasses at the behest of its insane visionary architects, so too as we strive towards ever greater interconnectivity between ourselves we will pass a point where we all become physically linked, rear end-to-mouth, one vast global human centipede. It depicts not just our present reality, but a future, historically inevitable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread