Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, there exists at least one template for a Hex pattern battleship (very clearly modeled after Nassau), its just with 3-centerline turrets popping up before main battery wing turrets, most early dreadnoughts either end up as 3 Centerlines or become HMS Dreadnought style 5 turret (3 center, 2 wing) arrangements. The only way Hexes show up is if the 3 centerline tech gets skipped (which is only a 30% chance according to Jello's sheet, assuming I'm reading it right).

[EDIT] Is it wrong that I just resigned in disgust in early 1903 during a Japanese game? The government agreed to a white peace with Germany even though I was kicking their rear end at sea, the army had just made huge gains in Korea (the war sparked over a German takeover attempt of Korea) and we had just started an amphibious takeover attempt on Kiautschou Bay/Tsingtao.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I regret playing as Austria-Hungary

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Farecoal posted:

I regret playing as Austria-Hungary

Was there supposed to be a screenshot attached to this or something? :v:

And how can you regret it? Of the small nations they've got some good perks, home access to oil, a huge boost to their (relative) budgetary spending until 1916, triple turrets, torpedo tech, no colonies to worry about. The only thing wrong with them is the Habsburg-style mini battleships you get if you use an auto-legacy fleet.

And look at these sexy ladies:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This game sometimes breaks your heart.

Got into a big brawl with France with my new BBs and BC which totally outclassed theirs, hosed them up badly at long range but was closing to finish them off as night fell when my flagship and newest biggest BB eats a single torp from a pre-dreadnought and instantly sinks :smithicide:

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

apseudonym posted:

This game sometimes breaks your heart.

Got into a big brawl with France with my new BBs and BC which totally outclassed theirs, hosed them up badly at long range but was closing to finish them off as night fell when my flagship and newest biggest BB eats a single torp from a pre-dreadnought and instantly sinks :smithicide:

I once considered renaming my newest and most powerful battlecruiser from SMS Goeben to SMS Torpedo Magnet. It took at least one torpedo in literally every battle in which it participated.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Finished reading Castles of Steel. Everyone interested in the period should read this poo poo. Have the library system bringing in a copy of Dreadnought now.

Also while digging for pictures of old British/Japanese battleships for my LP I learned there apparently exists some historical drama series in Japan that covers the life of a few dudes during the Sino-Japanese and Russo-Japanese wars and includes the Battle of Tsushima, with surprisingly decent looking CGI graphics.

Sadly, I can't find a video of it where the battle hasn't been chopped up and dubbed over with music. Best I could find was this which at least has original audio except still chopped and someone decided to tack on Two Steps from loving Hell. :eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFF-sSf6qVY&t=163s

I wonder if its any good. It looks good visually at least.

[edit] I suddenly want to see Castles of Steel as an anime drama ala Legend of the Galactic Heroes. :haw:

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Looks pretty interesting. Here's the IMDB (I think) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0991330/

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] I suddenly want to see Castles of Steel as an anime drama ala Legend of the Galactic Heroes. :haw:

Including having so many characters to keep track of they have to remind you who people are whenever the scene shifts to them?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I just lost a war with Italy and now I can't build any ships over 10,000 tons

In 1925 :suicide:

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Farecoal posted:

On the plus side, you probably couldn't finish any ships over 10,000 tons that you started now anyway!

(Unless, of course, you were planning to keep playing past 1925 . . .)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is that restriction only on you? I didn't know that coul happen. Time to start rebuilding and modernizing your older capital ships.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Build 7,000 submarines

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that restriction only on you? I didn't know that coul happen. Time to start rebuilding and modernizing your older capital ships.

It's happened toe twice this game. And yeah, I plan on playing until 1950

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just picked up Dreadnought. Good golly and I thought Castles of Steel was huge. :stare:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Farecoal posted:

It's happened toe twice this game. And yeah, I plan on playing until 1950

A billion fast destroyers with all the torpedoes should make them regret that limitation.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just picked up Dreadnought. Good golly and I thought Castles of Steel was huge. :stare:

It's a great book and as a whole does a good job of showing not just the revolution in naval tech, but also the slow steady slide towards the first world war.

But I hope you like whole chapters devoted to the upbringing of obscure German foreign ministers!

Also god drat Wilhelm II was a little poo poo

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Does anyone else have an issue with battles where half the fleet spawns halfway around the world in Africa right next to the enemy fleet? It seems to always pop up Once you get the separate BC scouting force.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Which navy are you playing? Do you have the latest version, 1.33?

That used to be a problem with bad warinfo scenario settings in some nations but afaik was largely fixed.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
It says version 1.33b1. Should I just reinstall the game?

edit: looks like I'm behind a few updates

deratomicdog fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 10, 2016

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Hey Galaga, I'm catching up on about two weeks of official forums posts and it looks like Fredrik's posted a few more tidbits but you haven't updated your file (see here for example). I assume you want to keep up to date, so I intend to make a note whenever I see a new one and post them in a block once I'm caught up.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Has anyone managed to do something about keeping the AI from sub spam bullshit? I get why it does it...but it really makes wars versus half of the nations really drat unfun. Yes, please torpedo every brand new BB that I launch, France.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So much for 1.33 being "Final" :v:

NWS posted:

Fredrik has fixed some issues in RTW he discovered while working on the RTW2 codeset --the below list shows what has been changed/fixed in the RTW v1.34 beta (which has now been posted):

FIXES FOR v1.34b1:

* Sea battles in areas where land combat is ongoing will now affect the chances of winning or losing the land battle.
* Mothballed ships will no longer be sunk by mines.
* Increased AI anti submarine efforts if the player has a large number of submarines.
* Raised the chance of an anti-playerpact if the player nation is very aggressive.
* The AI will now select among national build templates for CL and DD.
* Turret hits and jams will now have the turret designator shown in the ship log file.
* Fixed a bug where the AI would in some situations favour the Gangut template for battleships.
* Fixed a bug that let the AI cheat with double gun mounts on DD when not yet developed.
* Fixed a bug where CL could have more than two mounts with 8 in guns.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So where do you download updates from on this archaic site...? I went to my order form again, but just got 1.33 again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My most requested feature for RTW 2 is to put it on Steam.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

RubricMarine posted:

So where do you download updates from on this archaic site...? I went to my order form again, but just got 1.33 again.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/335/rtw-rule-waves-information-downloads

You'll need your registration key for the updater.

vyelkin posted:

My most requested feature for RTW 2 is to put it on Steam.

I rather doubt that'll happen but hey, try suggesting it. :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/335/rtw-rule-waves-information-downloads

You'll need your registration key for the updater.

I rather doubt that'll happen but hey, try suggesting it. :v:

I don't have an account at their 90s throwback forums, I just rely on this thread for all my news.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still no fix for the AI sub spam at late game. I realize it's a realistic response to stronger enemy navies but it makes the late game unfun since AI nations will refuse large surface battles due to their smaller surface fleets being outnumbered and all of their budgets going into submarine construction. This has been pointed out to Fredrik but he remains steadfast on realism over fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently there is supposed to be a Sub Ban event that can fire if submarine warfare turns particularily devestating, but similar to the anti-player aggression one, it has (possibly?) not been firing correctly (basically almost never).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Zeond posted:

This has been pointed out to Fredrik but he remains steadfast on realism over fun.

Ah, the most terrible part of grognardism.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Is there any way to mod out the submarines completely? Removing the techs that enable them for example?

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I wouldn't mind so much if there were more ways to defeat them at least. The late game ASW techs seem to do very little.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jello

Not sure if you're still interested in making new AI templates, but I have been thinking about taking a poke at it, so I've made some generic save files for each era (mostly just including all the important ship designs that pertain to roughly the middle of each era). You (or anyone else) can grab them here

The mhard part is deciding on 1-3 ships of each class for each period for each nation (EG: 1-3 American destroyers for each 5 year period)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 18, 2016

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I'm a little busy at the moment but I ought to be able to check around over Thanksgiving. Are you planning on historical nation-specific templates only? Maybe we should think about coordinating a bit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Not really sure, might add in a few generics too. But I figured that there should at least be some extra nation specific templates past the legacy fleet era. Stuff that models certain trends like the British and Germans both seeming to disfavor triple turrets.

Honestly, I'm not sure. My first major goal I think is more destroyer variety, because the AI templates seem lacking (but I admit I do lack late game experience, so maybe they random changes the AI makes to templates overcomes this)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've been musing on the AI templates again recently and just realized that there are only 10 destroyer templates. And none of them are specifically for periods 4 or 5 (the last 10 years of the game). In addition they barely use wing mounted torpedo launchers, which were semi common.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 18, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

waiting for rtw2 is suffering.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I personally don't expect it until 2018, but we can always hope, right?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Roumba posted:

I personally don't expect it until 2018, but we can always hope, right?

That's a more optimistic guess than what I was going with.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Has he specified whether he's going to expand upon the SAI engine or not? If he's starting from scratch it could be a while.

I actually bought SAI and the campaign expansion over the holidays as a gift to myself and the expansion is fantastic. I prefer it over RtW in some ways.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This is relevant to this thread's interest, albeit from the wrong war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2sYtq7hI74

Those turrets do not look like a safe environment to work in, never mind the gun powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

FrozenVent posted:

This is relevant to this thread's interest, albeit from the wrong war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2sYtq7hI74

Those turrets do not look like a safe environment to work in, never mind the gun powder.

Yep. And they're a Swiss watch compared to the turrets from the early 1900's.

• Locked thread