Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Part of Everything posted:

It's not just Toronto, I don't/didn't live in Toronto and all the schools in my area sang the anthem every morning, both school boards including elementary and highschools. Mind you, this was also 20 years ago so things may have changed.

I lived all over Atlantic Canada and we did it too. Usually a day or two out of the week it would be done in French. I guess it's kind of weird if you've never seen it but most people don't even sing. You just stand there for a minute then continue class.

I think one source of cultural friction is how much pro-USA stuff get's sent our way just through the media. Maybe it's not as noticeable to Americans, but watch any big action movie and count how many proudly flapping flags, and inspiring speeches about American spirit you hear. Most Canadians won't talk to a lot of Americans but we hear all about your crazy politicians, who love talking about how it's the best country. While you're average guy coming over might be normal, it can feel like every American must be constantly talking about how awesome they are.

edit: forgot to mention the flip side of this is how much Canadians love being mentioned in American media. People here loved that Southpark song, and the How I Met Your Mother jokes.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
We moved to Canada when I was a kid. Edmonton Alberta in the 90s. I loved the mall, the nature, cute girls, and scenery, etc. but it was probably the worst time of our lives. Canada was racist as gently caress, hated immigrants, tried to segregate the population, we got death threats, I was beaten up for talking to white girls, no jobs, etc. And we had to leave Saudi Arabia during the first gulf war while my Dad stayed behind cause he's a doctor, and I still think Canada's the roughest time we went through.

Sssshhhhiiiiiiiittttt place to live, fun place to visit for nature, national parks, West Edmonton Mall, etc.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Gatts posted:

We moved to Canada when I was a kid. Edmonton Alberta in the 90s. I loved the mall, the nature, cute girls, and scenery, etc. but it was probably the worst time of our lives. Canada was racist as gently caress, hated immigrants, tried to segregate the population, we got death threats, I was beaten up for talking to white girls, no jobs, etc. And we had to leave Saudi Arabia during the first gulf war while my Dad stayed behind cause he's a doctor, and I still think Canada's the roughest time we went through.

Sssshhhhiiiiiiiittttt place to live, fun place to visit for nature, national parks, West Edmonton Mall, etc.

Our western provinces are especially bad for hick racist white people. If you're Saudi I can understand you'd have had a rough time out there. You would have had a much better time in Ontario.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

SexyPatTO posted:

It sucks to be an immigrant in Canada because:

1. Even most well-educated, liberal-minded people don't like immigrants and they especially don't like Americans, and they make this abundantly clear.
2. Your partner, if not recruited for a job, will have a very hard time getting a job commensurate to his/her experience. This is because of #1.
3. Immigrants (as I said in another post) self-ghettoize and dream of home. This is partly because Canada has no real culture or history (it is a young country as someone pointed out) and little apparent interest in developing one that doesn't amount to Canada-boosting, and partly because of #1 and the fact that #1 is disguised as extreme tolerance for (as another poster said) the "mosaic" of multiculturalism.
4. The prices for things - all things, from food to booze to clothes to books to cars to apartments to houses - are exorbitant and the selection is poor. Compared to wherever you come from, you will be disappointed and frustrated with trying to get even very simple things. (Once I was in a supermarket and I asked where I could find "the sparkling apple cider," and the person I asked said, incredulously, "*sparkling* apple cider??")

tbqh you sound like a douchenozzle

your entire complaint seems to be "they don't like me" and quite frankly, I don't blame them

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

down with slavery posted:

tbqh you sound like a douchenozzle

your entire complaint seems to be "they don't like me" and quite frankly, I don't blame them

Wow no kidding. "No real culture or history"? Okay that's just lovely. We have many native groups with very diverse, old and rich cultures and histories. We invented the process for maple syrup and lifesaving rations like pemmican. We have incredibly intricate and difficult art forms like fish scale and porcupine quill embroidery and moose hair tufting, and many more inventions in food, engineering and the arts that literally have been done for thousands of years. We do have a culture and history and it's not the beer, hockey and donuts that the whitebread Conservatives try to tell you it is. Not our fault that people like you can't be bothered to learn about any of it, SexyPatTO.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

[healthcare horror stories]

The problem is, you're talking to a country where people are used to these things happening as a natural "part of the system." Your healthcare system provides less care because it's resources are stretched too thin; our system provides calls less care a profit opportunity. Tis better for resources to be unused rather than worn, taken, or consumed by those who can't afford them.

So you can tell us a story about someone dying in an ER bed, and our reaction is "and they DIDN'T leave their heirs with so much medical debt that the estate had to declare bankruptcy and their children were left with nothing? WOW!! Sign me up!"

Also, if you pay attention you will quickly learn that instead of being horribly racist towards black people, Canadians are horribly racist towards native people.

Oh, Canadians can be racist toward black people, but this might be a regional/class thing. I don't know that many but I've occasionally visited a Facebook page or whatever and seen thoughts like, "well of COURSE the only black person in [Edmonton suburb] was the one who beat someone up at a party last night."

EDIT:
Americans would like Canadian history more if Canadians talked more about the parts of their history that Americans like, which means it's violent and rebellious similar to American history. For instance, Louis Riel. A rebellious politician representing the rights and culture of a region overshadowed by the influence of Big Government, whose supporters are fighting and dying in skirmishes with militia, was eventually executed, and is still a divisive historical figure with some people calling him a hero and others claiming he was insane? Hell yeah, son! All you need to add is a "Don't Mess With Manitoba" bumper sticker.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 26, 2015

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Oh, Canadians can be racist toward black people, but this might be a regional/class thing. I don't know that many but I've occasionally visited a Facebook page or whatever and seen thoughts like, "well of COURSE the only black person in [Edmonton suburb] was the one who beat someone up at a party last night."

I definitely know they can and are. What I'm saying is that the most popular group to pick on is First Nations people. The fact that entire communities are living in third world conditions and under boil water advisories for 20 years (not kidding or exaggerating) and (as I mentioned before) the continued disappearance of native women is no big deal to anyone but their families says something. Racist/hate speech against First Nations is tolerated as main page articles in the newspaper. Conrad Black just recently published a horrifying article saying residential schools weren't really that bad and a lot of people agreed with him. If he had written an article saying lynching black people wasn't that bad there would be a national uproar. Did you know that besides being physically and sexually abused, did you know that some native children in residential schools were used as experiments? Researchers too some children and either starved them, over fed them, or deprived them of specific nutrients to see what would happen. Medically tested on like dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Being an expat can be hard. There is an "outsider" identity that is thrust on you. It also tends to really activate the patriotism that we've been indoctrinated into since a very young age. That can lead to a doubling down, "Yes, I am THE AMERICAN!" which further otherizes you. I imagine it is a similar experience for expats of all stripes, though because of the particular place of America on the international stage, I imagine we get a lot more "having to apologize for our embarrassing politics" than others. But that's probably better than getting asked if we are cannibals or if we have sideways vaginas or whatever.

It can be a very good experience, since it can help you empathize with the struggles of other immigrant and minority groups. And you can tough through it, as outsiders have for the entire history of human civilization . . . or you can just double down again and be a dick about it.

Make being an American a charming part of your identity. It can be a lot of fun and as long as you keep a healthy sense of humor about it, it can help you make friends too.

• Locked thread