Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it was probably a driver problem and not hardware at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger !!! :iamafag:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

shagger !!! :iamafag:

oh behave

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaggar posted:

it was probably a driver problem and not hardware at all

apple writes garbage software but in this case it really was garbage hardware

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gamers are mad when you say bad things about nvidia

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or if there were any hardware problems they were apples fault. they're notorious for cooling problems

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Shaggar posted:

or if there were any hardware problems they were apples fault. they're notorious for cooling problems

With design errors like this the only option is to run all fans on full tilt which will carry you right through warranty extension and leave you SOL. Mobile G96 chips are almost all dead by now. Dell, HP, Apple all suffered from Nvidia's screwups.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hes trolling. because hes incredibly butthurt his 5 year old phone is running slowly

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

mmm yes, problems from last decade

let's talk about the ibm deathstar hdd lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

mmm yes, problems from last decade

let's talk about the ibm deathstar hdd lol

my uncle gave me 2 busted 60GB ones and I RMA'd them and got 2 80GB drives back.

they are still spinning happily somewhere to this day

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
this video was hard to find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PClFgLAorVE

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

im the 144p

pram
Jun 10, 2001

god the fx was such unmitigated poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

iirc this video was actually made by nvidia

ah, back in the glory days of the radeon 9800 :allears:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

iirc this video was actually made by nvidia

ah, back in the glory days of the radeon 9800 :allears:

it was, it was their mea culpa about how bad it was

of course nowadays that card would be on the smaller and lower heat production side, but coolers have gotten a lot better since then

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DuckConference posted:

I wonder if the the new macs will keep using amd GPUs because that is a lot of heat for a laptop power budget

the only laptops that have dedicated GPUs are the high end 15 inch macbook pros

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

lol NVidia is the best and apple writes garbage software.

agreed

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Trigger Warning: Reddit http://imgur.com/a/Kwd1T

AMD attempts to do some feel-good PR and gets denied by an rear end in a top hat older brother.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DuckConference posted:

AMD attempts to do some feel-good PR and gets denied by an rear end in a top hat older brother.

lmfao this is gold

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

DuckConference posted:

loving people are cunts

good on ya amd and gently caress that guy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
amd might actually be profitable in 2015 or 2016

samsung and nvidia are in a real nasty drag-out patent slapfight, and the money is on nvidia losing bigtime. real likely that there will be at least a temporary import ban on nvidia products

amd might make money by accident when suppliers have no choice but to buy amd GPUs to fill the gaps left by shortages in nvidia stock

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

samsung and nvidia are in a real nasty drag-out patent slapfight, and the money is on nvidia losing bigtime. real likely that there will be at least a temporary import ban on nvidia products

amd might make money by accident when suppliers have no choice but to buy amd GPUs to fill the gaps left by shortages in nvidia stock

good news too: dx12 benches show ridiculous gains on AMD chips compared to nvidia thanks to properp parallel chip[s

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pram posted:

hes trolling. because hes incredibly butthurt his 5 year old phone is running slowly

lol

"those SEXY new lumias are gonna roll out ANY SECOND don't disappoint me microsoft" *twitch* *twitch*

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

seriously?

got any links about this?

and LOL if they'll do an import ban when a company violates Samsung patents but won't do an import ban the other thousand times Samsung is caught violating other companies' patents.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Stux posted:

good news too: dx12 benches show ridiculous gains on AMD chips compared to nvidia thanks to properp parallel chip[s

That's got nothing to do with their chip design, it has everything to do with utter poo poo DX11 driver implementation.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol source your quotes

Also,

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 23, 2015

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
amd is bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
their stock price is 45% of what it was a year ago, their employee retention must be poo poo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

their stock price is 45% of what it was a year ago, their employee retention must be poo poo

yes, but mostly because they keep firing thousands every 6 months

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

seriously?

got any links about this?

and LOL if they'll do an import ban when a company violates Samsung patents but won't do an import ban the other thousand times Samsung is caught violating other companies' patents.

the speculation was in a trade rag i found lying around at work. google isn't working out for me

basically, there are two disputes:
- nvidia against samsung + qcom
- samsung against nvidia

nvidia against samsung isn't going that well:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-22/itc-staff-said-to-clear-samsung-qualcomm-of-nvidia-infringement

samsung against nvidia is supposedly doing better, but i couldn't dig up a link.

if samsung is successful there could be weeks or months of stopped imports before samsung and nvidia come to a final settlement. (not any kind of permanent ban obviously)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
device makers will just route amd parts to the US while nvidia will supply the rest of the world. it won't have a significant net impact on sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rosoboronexport posted:

That's got nothing to do with their chip design, it has everything to do with utter poo poo DX11 driver implementation.

good tha thtey got a good implementation of dx12 then

• Locked thread