Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I had a SiS chipset for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rip amd. they are already beyond the point where their patents are worth more than the company. expect someone to pick them up for that (and maybe the x86 licensing). my bet is on samsung, although Qualcomm, Apple, and TSMC are also likely. whoever it is, they're not taking the engineers so it will be a bloodbath.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah rip (not really)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

I had a SiS chipset for a while

Me 2

it had the ability to change all the memory timings from in the os while running

owned

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
all I remember is in the control panel you could look at a 3d rollercoaster

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

there was this program idk what it was called but you could fiddle with all the timings and it would change them on the fly and you'd just fiddle until it bluescreened and then when you reboioted you'd do fiddle -1 and you'd be good.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

rip amd. they are already beyond the point where their patents are worth more than the company. expect someone to pick them up for that (and maybe the x86 licensing). my bet is on samsung, although Qualcomm, Apple, and TSMC are also likely. whoever it is, they're not taking the engineers so it will be a bloodbath.

you don't get x86 if you buy AMD, the agreement with intel ends if they get bought or go bankrupt

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
this last quarter amd's total revenue was something hilarious like 5% of intel's revenue

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

you don't get x86 if you buy AMD, the agreement with intel ends if they get bought or go bankrupt

I'm sure there is a way to structure the deal such that they preserve the minimum legal entity required to keep that alive.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i worked at amd for a bit around 2000 and had some sweet athlons when they were good

had lunch with an amd person the other day and they were still all hung up that intel "convinced people that a commodity part matters, you don't think people care who makes the engine in their car do you" so i guess there is still a culture there that says that intels advertising budget is the main obstacle to their success :rip: amd i guess

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
[–]Frenchy-LaFleur[S] 1 point 7 hours ago
I am unable to refund and want to remain loyal to AMD again so I might just keep replacing until I get a quiet card
permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]StayFrostyZ5820K 4.2 Ghz / MSI GTX 970 - Fury X in RMA 2 points 7 hours ago
You sir have just gained a new fan. You say you're a loyal AMD consumer and I deeply appreciate you staying loyal despite your troubles. I'm glad to see someone talk the talk and walk the walk after what Nvidia has done as of recent. Are you planning on getting a FreeSync monitor with that card?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

[–]Frenchy-LaFleur[S] 1 point 7 hours ago
I am unable to refund and want to remain loyal to AMD again so I might just keep replacing until I get a quiet card
permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

You sir have just gained a new fan. You say you're a loyal AMD consumer and I deeply appreciate you staying loyal despite your troubles. I'm glad to see someone talk the talk and walk the walk after what Nvidia has done as of recent. Are you planning on getting a FreeSync monitor with that card?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

I'm sure there is a way to structure the deal such that they preserve the minimum legal entity required to keep that alive.

that's known as "just pay intel some of the millions you're spending on AMD"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i still see people recommending amd for cheap gaming builds

enjoy your space heater

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The like $65 dual core pentium outperforms the 8 core amds in lots of games

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
"but you see the price per performance per core..!" (selects an amd part from the bargain bin)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i hope apple buys them out. it's remotely possible i guess if only because they're sticking pretty heavily to their graphics sets lately.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Don Lapre posted:

somebody remind me what that is, I'm out of the loop apparently

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
you guys just dont get it, intel is floundering with 14/10nm and soon AMD will catch up and their superior experience with 8 core chip designs means they are going to streak right by intel please oh please

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My dad has a 2001 Viao that still runs Windows XP admirably. The on-board SiS audio chip failed about 8 years ago but all of the intel chips are still running strong. Makes you think.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

no

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i had an amd 64 3500+ something with an ati gfx but the computer constantly crashed until i got a nvidia/intel combo and i never bought amd again.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I had two amd machines in the early zeroes and they were great but then intel woke up and started this tick tock thing and are just curb stomping everyone, including themselves because my sandy bridge is still good enough for most games and I have no interest in buying a new pc yet

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Also I went from amd/nvidia to intel/ati, owned coming and going welp

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ATI was competitive before AMD took over but now welp

guess my next card will be an nvidia

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nvidia doesn't have much life in it either

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My $200 graphics card I bought from Nvidia earlier this year runs every new game at max settings or close to it at 60 FPS. I can't see myself ever upgrading in the next two to three years unless I buy multiple monitors or someone blows everyones dicks off by releasing the holomonitor. As for the processor and stuff I'm pretty sure it literally won't get replaced until it burns out because it's already massively overpowered for everything I do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my card is about 3 years old and my main reason for upgrading would be 4k which is something I do eventually want

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Larry Parrish posted:

My $200 graphics card I bought from Nvidia earlier this year runs every new game at max settings or close to it at 60 FPS. I can't see myself ever upgrading in the next two to three years unless I buy multiple monitors or someone blows everyones dicks off by releasing the holomonitor. As for the processor and stuff I'm pretty sure it literally won't get replaced until it burns out because it's already massively overpowered for everything I do.

Playing elite has made me really really really want an occulus

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

$200 graphics card runs every new game at max settings or close to it at 60 FPS

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kwinkles posted:

i worked at amd for a bit around 2000 and had some sweet athlons when they were good

had lunch with an amd person the other day and they were still all hung up that intel "convinced people that a commodity part matters, you don't think people care who makes the engine in their car do you" so i guess there is still a culture there that says that intels advertising budget is the main obstacle to their success :rip: amd i guess

people care about who makes the engine in their car when one manufacturer makes one that's fast and efficient while the other makes one that constantly overheats and has a 20 second 0-60 time despite only getting 8mpg.

in most tasks amd's top-end power guzzlers are either barely keeping up with or behind intel's low-end i3 chips.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 18, 2015

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
alibaba should buy amd

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
wait, no, xiaomi or some other burgeoning chinese colossus

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

zen death robot posted:

it'll be intel

to buy amd? good luck getting that past the anti trust regulators

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kwinkles posted:

also: cars actually are marketed based on the engine.

like, all the loving time

they literally put a badge on the back of the vehicle if you buy a fancier engine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

I think it's bad though that there hasn't been any meaningful competition for Intel for the past couple of years because their processors haven't really improved as much as a result.

performance increases significantly year on year.

you can now get a two socket box with 24 cpus. in 2017 that two socket box will have 56 loving processors. in the same wattage envelope.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i had an athlon 2400 or something for playing warcraft 3 on; i forget what kind of video card it had (or what gear i had as a kid before that one but presumably intel and i think matrox graphics at least once). it seemed p. cool for a few years but then one day it mysteriously died so i just lived off a thinkpad for a few years and both my idiot gamer desktops since have been intel/nvidia :smug:

i like how amd revealed new gpus at e3 this year that claimed they slightly outperformed nvidia's top stuff and everyone was like whoa but then that ended when someone did some tests and found that in typical amd style they used like twice the power lol :allears:

amd are bad but i hope mobile somehow kills off intel b/c death to israel

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

kwinkles posted:

to buy amd? good luck getting that past the anti trust regulators

yep.

but the other ones I mentioned, besides apple, probably wouldn't mind making a super-low end windows-compatible chip for lovely netbooks.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the last time amd was OK computers were still really annoying to build and would have lots of dumb problems esp if you were an idiot like me.

so i'll always remember amd from the lovely era of using off brand mother boards and ram that didnt really work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the last machine I built was amd. that was like 10 years ago.

• Locked thread