Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i hope apple buys them out. it's remotely possible i guess if only because they're sticking pretty heavily to their graphics sets lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Some one much smarter is going to come along and tell me why I'm wrong. Could MS be holding the system specs down for reasons other than getting people off XP? Having an OS that runs on a chip that any of the major chip manufacturers can produce would be pretty huge for MS.

Windows 8 did objectively improve performance whether or not you liked how it looked (at least until 8.1 mostly fixed things). It's not a particularly flashy looking OS these days either, at least compared to the by-default frosted glass Vistaland that OS X is, so I'm not surprised that the system requirements are still relatively low

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

hmm autism effects the same percentage as there are computer users running macs. makes you think.

:captainpop:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i think my i5 was overheating earlier. maybe i need to get an evo 212. or maybe the psu is bad idk.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yeah it's just a 4590 i5 and an msi gtx 970 4g. i use the machine for vs for work and a couple games. it started a few days ago where the machine would spontaneously hard reset while playing rocket league, which i did a search on and someone seemed to have the same problem, so i assumed it was some bug.

tonight though i was playing a dota match and like 35 minutes in it shuts down instantly, the power led was going on and off, the 970's light was still on, but even if i cut the power and tried to restart it, it didn't do poo poo. i left it alone a few minutes and it started working again, but then opening a game back up crashed it almost instantly.

i had my chassis fan settings on silent mode although I think they're supposed to be pretty good at lower speeds, plus i wasn't having problems before a few days ago. i set the speed in the bios to performance and played dota fine. it wasn't really hot in the house so i have no clue what's going on.

after the fact the i5 was idling around 25-30c, and the 970 around 35-40c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Kafouille posted:

Motherboards usually raise hell on the speaker in case of thermal shutdown, this sounds more like a power supply issue. Plus the CPU would thermal throttle to hell way before then so you really wouldnt be able to play poo poo.

i have one of the corsair 500w ones so i guess i'm doing to have to get something else

• Locked thread