Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Where did this "fundamental human nature" start? Did cavemen have it? Did monkeys? Do we share this nature with our chimp relatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

All I'm saying is that nobody has anything close to a working definition of 'fundamental human nature', its origin is "it's always been there", and every example provided is one of shared human experiences. I can relate to an ancient Roman writing about his awful hangover because I too have had bad hangovers; and even if I had never had alcohol in my life I can still compare my similar experiences of having a headache or feeling nauseous, not because this is some fundamental understanding we share.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

computer parts posted:

Treating alcohol as important is an example, although it's very specific.

Pretty much everyone eats and fucks. Lots of people will have relationships and eventually children (biological or otherwise). Every culture involves social interaction of some sort, and most of them feature conflict between the powerful and the weak.

Everything you've listed is true, but those things are in no way unique to humans. You might as well say "being made up of atoms" is part of fundamental human nature.

Strudel Man posted:

Why do you mention having an awful hangover, a largely physiological phenomenon, rather than the far more apt emotional commonality that we can find in ancient peoples? The evidence of similar drives, reactions and desires?

The latter count as a "shared human experience," of course, but it's shared precisely because there is a psychological consistency (not absolute, but nevertheless real) across people that cannot simply be wished away.

And I would argue that many shared psychological drives we have with say the Romans or Greeks come from the experiences of being born, raised, and living in a civilized society similar enough to our own.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lol if you actually use the ignore list because you're so traumatized by reading words from people who don't agree with you

• Locked thread