Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Yeah where have we gone. We have a black president, healthcare reform and gay marriage too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

crabcakes66 posted:

Counterpoint: Yes they are.

The thing you're not getting is that in China, due to a legal technicality, people don't own land. See how that makes everything better?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

Right, two things that are imperfect are necessarily exactly the same. An unwarranted parking ticket and burning a person at the stake for heresy are both unjust, and therefore we should consider them exactly the same. To consider degree is racist.

The depth of willful human stupidity shouldn't surprise me any more, but self-loathing contortionists like the OP still make me facepalm in despair.

Equating the U.S. and China undermines every human rights and labor rights accomplishment that has resulted in the U.S. being where it is.

It's misguided and useless ignorance at multiple levels.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

that sure is a lot of text to just say :biotruths: over and over again. thanks for balancing out the stalinist idiot with your own brand of horseshit

Any worldview not based on a reasonable understanding of human nature is a non-starter.

Do you actually think a non-hierarchical society is in our future. I doubt it. So come up with something better than the bio truths icon as an argument.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

MrNemo posted:

So your own position would be that there's no such thing as a shared human nature beyond us generally having the same body shape? Any kind of society is not only possible but sustainable?

A lot of people react against human nature because they don't like its use as a defence of the status quo. As you point out, "no human nature" can be used to defend anything. It certainly undermines marxism for example which considers certain results to be inevitable when humans are combined with capitalism.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Mm. I don't know that I agree, at least with the implication. We may not need a monarch specifically, but Hobbes still seems rather relevant in explaining the importance of a strong state to keep people from eating each other.

"Can a large society actually be organized like this and still function" is an extremely important question, particularly after several attempts have been made without great success.

Right and answering that question requires assumptions about humans and their behavioral predispositions (aka Human Nautre).

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Everything you've listed is true, but those things are in no way unique to humans. You might as well say "being made up of atoms" is part of fundamental human nature.

And I would argue that many shared psychological drives we have with say the Romans or Greeks come from the experiences of being born, raised, and living in a civilized society similar enough to our own.

So apparently it's nothing but luck then that our societies resemble theirs enough we can relate.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I define human nature as the set of genetic behavioral predispositions that most humans have. I think it's intelectually untenable to believe that this group of traits doesn't exist, can't be identified or are necesarily overly broad.

Exceptions don't mater. The statement "humans have two arms" isn't invalidated by the minority who have 1.

Autism or gender dysphoria help highlight just how powerful underlying predispositions are to defining our experience in the world.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Obdicut posted:

We don't have any genetic behavioral predispositions. That's not how genetics works. And even in your definition, by saying 'most humans', you admit there are humans who don't have whatever behaviors you're talking about, but are still human.

DNA doesn't define behavior?

Of course.

quote:

Yes, it is. What you mean is that people generally understand when you say "Humans have two arms" you implicitly mean "in general". To put it in genetic terms, when people say "Humans have two sexes" we don't mean that intersex people don't exist and aren't just as much a normal, if rare, outcome of genetics.

Agreed.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

fspades posted:

The US has been the most belligerent nation on Earth in the last 70 years or so. No other country comes close when it comes to inflicting death and suffering on foreign civilians since WWII. This is not a tinfoil conspiracy theory. It is an undeniable historical fact and it's always hilarious when Americans just can't seem to grasp this.

IMO, blatant defense of US imperialism à la MIGF is preferable to liberal hand-wringing over the US foreign policy "needing improvements." It's just more intellectually honest.

It's really not that hard to apply a few score keeping metrics when making these judgements. IE note that the U.S. is the sole world power, compare to other historical world powers and/or extrapolate how much better or worse other world powers would be in the same role (IE Russia, China).

Just pointing out that the U.S. has killed people is actually really stupid in the context of human history.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

fspades posted:

Putin is a dirty hippie when compared to any American president in the last 70 years.

You and horselord should be friends.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Typo posted:

I think all of us understands there are shitloads stuff the us do is pretty evil, especially during the cold war era.

otoh i think events in the last couple of years have reminded us too that you can do a lot worse than the us

You see it taken for granted that a critical stance is the healthy one but recognizing positive things and how/why they worked is also critical.

It's really not that hard to recognize positives and negatives at the same time with appropriate perspective. Not being able to do that is a hallmark of bad ideology.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 23, 2015

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Agreed, you'd just be the oppressor instead, as all internet communists typically envision themselves.

Liberals like us deserve it though.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

HorseLord posted:

No, actually, just most of the people making GBS threads up the thread on that page are on my ignore list so I can't see. Regardless one news story with spurious product claims doesn't change a thing, and you made that part about them attributing it to "dear leader" up anyway.

I am entirely correct about everything I've said about the DPRK being a) not a Marxist-Leninist state, b) not desiring communism, and c) targeted heavily by a propaganda campaign full of falsehoods with a dehumanizing effect (see: all media insisting the DPRK believe in unicorns and Kim Jong Un's girlfriend was shot), d) being a unique product of history which it is neither desirable nor possible to repeat.

The DPRK is a shitshow but gently caress it I'll always side with them over you. No Korean ever carpetbombed D.C.

I love that China is obviously communist and NK obviously isn't.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

I changed my mind, never stop posting.

See I get nothing from horselord. It's just the communist dial set on 11 and delivered unironically post after post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

I sincerely never thought I would see the day when someone was earnestly defending North Korea. It's amazing and I want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

You didn't read the marxist thread then.

This is what clinging to fringe 19th century ideology looks like up close.

• Locked thread