Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

crabcakes66 posted:

An activist being moderately inconvenienced from ending up on some watch list is exactly the same as systematic oppression.

This reminds of conservative whites in America comparing some moderate inconvenience to actual slavery.

I'd imagine you could find at least some room for improvement in the human rights department pretty much everywhere. All this bickering over "moral high ground" is nothing more than ad hominem bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mandy Thompson posted:

The take away from this is not whether or not China is worse than the US or that the US is equal to China but rather then presuming to tell other countries how to do things, we should consider what is happening in our own backyard. Another reason to hold America to a high standard is that I live here. As is said in the bible, "Physician, heal yourself."

Or maybe we could just accept the fact that arguing over who gets to criticize who isn't going to help anyone, and speak out against human rights violations wherever and whenever they happen. I'm pretty sure that most of the people calling out China on their latest act of wanton repression aren't trying to excuse or downplay anything their home country might have done.

Invisible Handjob posted:

hey whatever happened to pro PRC laowai i miss that guy sometimes

I was just thinking about him. The OP article wasn't even just talking about locking up dissidents, but locking up the lawyers who represented them for the heinous crime of doing their loving jobs. It would've been amusing to seem him try to spin that as a legitimately necessary action towards maintaining social order or whatever.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

point of return posted:

this is the worst reason to be skeptical of/oppose liberal democracy hth

Especially considering that birth rates across the developed world have been dropping quite a bit over the past couple decades.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

HorseLord posted:

"hey guys! China is capitalist now! They're full free market and everything! Clearly they're not real communists at all"

-factory workers regularly kidnap bosses in wage disputes, police do nothing
-CPC has heavy control over all businesses, enacts five year plans
-businessmen who go against the party are snatched off the street by CPC murder vans
-Over half the economy is SOEs
-CPC ideology solidly marxist

Makes sense. Actually I'm glad you're stupid enough to think this, the Chinese model of development is heavily reliant on westerners thinking they're capitalists. If you actually bothered to understand that they're running a heavily controlled unfree market to accelerate development, which they intend to end when it has exhausted itself, then you wouldn't participate. You're selling them the rope, morons.

Actually it's kind of funny because this development model is already something they're transitioning out of. But you'll never grasp this because you're too busy trying to analyze them through the lens of a western capitalist multiparty democracy, pronouncing the imminent start of the Chinese recession(tm) every day for decades. This is the exact kind of delusion westerners had about Lenin's NEP.

On the other hand, their efforts at implementing the "to each according to his needs" part of communism leave something to be desired:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2266412/Chinese-man-kept-alive-13-years-HOMEMADE-dialysis-machine.html

• Locked thread