Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Edit: Update on the last page.

Is it just me or this LP real goal is to destroy islam?
A noble goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kanthulhu posted:

A noble goal.

All must fall before the might of Zun.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Kanthulhu posted:

A noble goal.

Islam is doing fine, it's just established itself in the west. Orthodoxy is hosed, though.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Game Update 32 - Death Throes

The Dread Empress continues lecturing her capitve audience.

: It took some time for Sataniel to recede. But, after a few years, I could speak as well as I could when I was younger.

: Immediately, I ordered my coronation as the Queen of Egypt. My people deserved to see their ruler in all of her splendor.

: And just like that, I heard Mikael whisper in my ear once more. Such sweet whispers!

: I was, once again, without a husband. I was an old woman by then, and could no longer bear children, but still.

: You spend too long without a husband, and people start asking questions.

: My latest, and last, husband was a Lithuanian king. And a cheating rear end in a top hat.

: After a quick wedding, we went our separate ways. He ruled his backwater, and I ruled the greatest kingdom in the world.

: The council, fresh from their most recent castration, were nothing more than glorified messengers. But they took to that job with great vigour. They buzzed about the happenings around the world.

: In the east, the Sanyo Caliph decided to take the Abbasid heartlands back from the Zunists.

: In the west, the Mali Muslims fell to their own decadence.

: But to the south, the Abyssinians were united. I couldn't let that go on.

: At first, things went well. I rode into battle atop my great war beast, and I tore the enemy armies in half.

: But this was not a war I could win atop a horse, or as a wolf.

: You see, the Queen's mother made some questionable choices in husbands. It started when Temujin, the Genghis Khan, had no sons. One of his Khans took the horse throne, or whatever those barbarians call it, embraced the Pope, and started marrying his sons off.

: His eldest asked for my hand all those years ago, but I turned him down, of course. I married my granddaughter to his grandsonson instead. His line rules the Greeks.

: His youngest joined the Teutons and rose through their ranks. Eventually, he married the Abyssinian Queen's mother.

: When the current Queen died with no heir, the crown went to her cousin's son: the Basileus.

: I nicked that in the bud, of course. We were family now, and what's a few teeth between family?

: The Abyssinian crown weighed heavily on the new Basileus' shoulders. He was a threat to the Christian world, after all.

: Mostly because the usual threat to the Christian world was slowly falling to pieces.

: I had already prepared for war, so I thought, why not? The Shia Caliph has lands, let's take them.

: It wasn't a very popular move. My own son and heir voiced his objections!

: I had a long talk with Sataniel about this. He was quick to come up with a solution.

: My son wasn't the only one rebelling. But don't worry, I had plenty of space in the oubliette.

: With the whining at home pacified, I brought my forces against the Caliph's lands.

: As we seiged Benghazi, the Coptic Pope worked all over Nubia. Slowly, people saw the truth about Mikael and Sataniel.

: The Caliph could not fight for long. Cyrenaica was mine.

: The Caliph wasn't the only one with religious problems. The Eastern Christians no longer listened to the Greeks. An old heresy, similar to the Cathars sprung up throughout their lands.

: Sataniel's work came to fruition. For five long years my son withered and died from the Great Pox.

: Took him long enough.

: Our eastern neighbours shifted once more. The Verdi dynasty wrestled control of a few kingdoms from the Sayans, and declared independence.

: The Greeks, knowing full well that they could not hold the Abyssinian crown, let the eastern duchies go.

: And I picked them up.

: The last great struggle of my life began soon after.

: My husband needed to learn a lesson, that no matter how far he is, nothing he does escapes me.

: The rest of my family proved an equal disappointment.

: But at least the eastern duchies put up no resistance.

: Nubia grew. It grew far greater than any Nubian Queen has ever dreamed of.

: It could no longer be contained by that name. I brought back the most glorious days.

: I was the Empress of Sheba.

: Of course, I wasn't finished. There were more eastern duchies.

: I even had plans to conquer Xamar.

: But the Lithuanian problem needed my presence. I gathered my retinue and headed to the far north.

: I didn't expect that shithole to be this cold.

: Of course the bitch lied, and swore on the cross three times that the child was not my husband's.

: I didn't buy it.

: I settled in the palace, and started my work.

: Night after night, I sent men to bribe men to kill the harlot.

: I heard that the dukes back home were plotitng against me.

: So I rearranged a few things. I named a viceroy of Egypt, and told him to deal with this.

: The council was notified by post.

: Of course the fuckers still sent me updates about the world. Something about a Burgundy, I honestly stopped reading them at this point.

: Eventually, through sheer determination, and a few dozen fresh bodies, the little slut was dead.

: My husband knew my hand was in this. I told him myself.

: With the lesson taught, I went home, to conquer Xamar.

: I named some nobody the viceroy of Abyssinia to keep an eye on the rebelling dukes on the way.

: And this is when the depth of my masters' betrayal hit me. Mikael no longer spoke to me.

: Soon, Sataniel would stop as well.

: And I couldn't stnad the silence.

: My grandson took the throne. I'm certain he wasted it.

: My story ended, and I came to wander here.

: Like you, my gods used me, and then tossed me aside. I am trapped here, alone, without purpose for a hundred years.

She looks around at the Caravan. For the first time since she started speaking, they understand her. They too had been left here, abandoned by their gods, wasting century after century on endless travels.

But not everyone wasted the time.

: I could grant you purpose, O, Dread Empress. This soul, too, wandered through life and death with no meaning until he found me.

: I do not make deals with gods anymore, Assatur. No blood rites, no chants, no whispers in my ears.

The trader's laugh booms across the forest.

: None of that, Harbinger of Hell. I want you to do what you do best: break an army. And then break a man.

Nouddl smiles.

: Oh, that? That I can do.

She takes the trader's hand, and just like that, they're gone. The Caravan is free.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
State of the World in 1354

And so, our time with the Satanids is at an end.

From Benghazi to Berbera, Sheba reigns supreme.

The council that was kept in line through sheer fear of the Dread Empress will surely be just as demure for her successors.

With too many dukes to administer efficiently, the viceroys of Egypt and Abyssinia are definitely loyal to the crown.

And with half the country following the old ways, Sheba is sure to have safe and productive century ahead.

India is a mess. There are no more than three entirely contiguous realms, and they keep breaking apart for some reason.

With the Zunists pushing in from the west, the Hindus seem to have conquered almost all religious competition.

You wanted border gore? I give you border gore.

At least there's not religious fighting in the area.

The Near East is just as much of a mess as it was a hundred years ago.

But at least the religions settled in nice blocks. Plus, hey, no Catholics outside Jerusalem.

As we saw, Sheba ate the only Shia power worth a drat. Mali is split right down the middle, too.

The Mali conversion is going well, at least.

I don't know what the gently caress happened to Francia, they were doing so well fifty years ago. There's barely any Francia left in France.

Oh yeah, and Middle Francia and the uneaten parts of Frisia are theocracies.

The religious blocks remain more or less the same as they were a hundred years ago, so there's that.

We finally have an Anglo-Saxon kingdom doing kind of well! Plucky little Mercia. Which is Greek. Don't ask.

Gotta love that Paulician Varangian guard, though.

Lithuania took a beating from the Horde break-away states, and Scandinavia is still thoroughly hosed.

The Varangians lost western Norway, but their faith remains!

Of note: two settled Khazar empires (Esztergom and Ishim) doing surprisingly well. Croatia and Italy are ok. The rest is a garbage fire.

Both the settled nomads, and like half the steppe nomads are Cathars, but man, Catholics have been doing work.

None shall conspire to restore the empire of Rome.

But best of luck to those who try.

The East still has a few nomads left, but mostly it's just confetti by this point.

But hey, the Sun's coming up!

That white spot there is the republic of Carinthia, who take up about half of Bavaria. Venice, of course, belongs to the Byzantines.

With the fall of an independent Socotra, their trade network collapsed. RIP Nesters.

Again, I'm really impressed by how well Catholicism recovered. Also, Hinduism.

God, Francia is massive. It's just kind of smeared across the continent by now, though. But hey, we managed to get into the top five in one century!

And so, once more, the Caravan stands, leaderless. Where will its next leader hail from?

A. The Duchy of Bosnia. Holding onto the dead teachings of the men of an erased city, the last Orthodox power endures.

+The good:
++We haven't played as the Orthodox yet.
++We've got a decent army for a duke
++A bunch of small neighbours to bully before wrestling with the Byz, former nomads or Italy.

-The bad:
--We have zero international support.
--Our liege isn't big enough to offer significant protection against either Italy or the Byzantines.

B. The Kingdom of Bihar. One of the last kingdoms to survive the Western Plague relatively intact.

+The good:
++We're contiguous.

-The bad:
--We're in India for a hundred years. We aren't doing poo poo.
--We're contiguous, our neighbours aren't. Gonna be a lot of marching across terrain to finish sieges.

C. The County of Lancaster. Proudly holding against the Eirish menace for 600 years.

+The good:
++Oh poo poo, an option on the British Isles! A Greek one.
++We can hit up Jorvik and Northumberland for some cash.
++We could wear fealty to Eire or Mercia and gently caress with it from the inside.

-The bad:
--We're kinda negligible, size-wise.

D. The Sheikhdom of Jerusalem. After a hundred years, the holy city is in the hands of the faithful once more. Could we keep it?

+The good:
++We're vassals of the largest local Muslim power. They got our back.
++We've got Jerusalem! We got this!

-The bad:
--We're vassals of the largest local Muslim power. We're hosed if the Zunists unite.
--We have a negligible amount of troops.

E. The Petty Kingdom of Vestlandet. The Varangian guard settled. Western Norway became their home away from home.

+The good:
++Paulicians are kind of like Cathars, and Cathars have been doing pretty drat well.
++Let's see if we can't teach those Catholics a few things.

-The bad:
--We're surrounded by Catholics.
--We're once again geographically isolated.

F. The Duchy of Savoy. Burgundy may be dead, but its dukes still fight for power.

+The good:
++We're Cathars next to that one gigantic Cathar nation.
++We've got the men, we've got the claims, let's make it happen.

-The bad:
--Italy is, like, right next door. We already had a crusade head this way not fifty years ago.
--This rear end in a top hat already pissed away a kingdom, are we gonna make it two for two?

G. The Emirate of Sinai. The Shia are bent, but they are not broken. Not yet.

+The good:
++Look at that Intrigue score!
++We're vassals of the large major Shia power.
++We haven't played as any Muslims yet.

-The bad:
--If Sheba doesn't collapse, that could be trouble. We're a natural expansion option for them.
--We're surrounded by heathens and heretics.

H. The next leader comes from a different land.

:siren:Voting is now open!:siren:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

C seems cool.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elementary.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Time for a Great choice!

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
G

I am sure nothing will go wrong.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I heard there were Paulician Varangians in England. If that's not an H vote I don't know what is!

That said, they're most likely unplayable even if that's a mere Vassal, so... then again, they're basically E but in England...

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
E

Time to take back the homeland.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

D. One day this thread will pick an islamic choice.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Against Paulicianism as a heretic Orthodox with lots of potential? I'm in.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
E. :black101:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
D. Jerusalem!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
C. Lancaster! A small place on a narrow island. CK2 at its most claustrophobic.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
C
Maybe the Isles can be united

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
H. For any pagan. I told you all that Catholics shouldn't be left unchecked. Otherwise E. for badass Varangians

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
F

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

G has good potential.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
C. unite dem isles.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

G Islam is the light.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Wentley posted:

E

Time to take back the homeland.

Same. E

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Luhood posted:

I heard there were Paulician Varangians in England. If that's not an H vote I don't know what is!

That said, they're most likely unplayable even if that's a mere Vassal, so... then again, they're basically E but in England...

Yeah, unfortunately theocracies and holy orders are unplayable (until EU4). Otherwise the King-Bishop of Middle Francia (how would that even work?) would be choice number one.

Soup du Jour posted:

D. One day this thread will pick an islamic choice.

I seriously considered having nothing but Muslim options for this century, but some of the other ones seemed pretty cool. Except India. I can't really do anything interesting in India in a hundred years, especially with late-game fortifications and armies.

Then again, Socotra was boring to play and nothing interesting happened, and that kinda... got out of control.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

H You shall conspire to restore the Empire of Rome

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Kayten posted:

Yeah, unfortunately theocracies and holy orders are unplayable (until EU4). Otherwise the King-Bishop of Middle Francia (how would that even work?) would be choice number one.

Well E vote it is then!

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

sheep-dodger posted:

H You shall conspire to restore the Empire of Rome

I don't know, the Tireki burned down two out of three Romes, and the third one is held by some bishop, so we can't play as him.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Kayten posted:

I don't know, the Tireki burned down two out of three Romes, and the third one is held by some bishop, so we can't play as him.

That's why it needs restoration.
Duh!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Do either of the caliphates still exist? I'm thinking that might be a good goal to work towards if we do go Muslim.

Anyway I'm gonna go with G

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Holy Orders are unplayable, but Mercs technically aren't! I inherited the Varangians once as the Emperor because I'd given the elderly leader Syria and landed all of his eligible successors beneath him. Consequently, when he died, the title went to me as liege and switched to primo.

So yeah, we could do the Varangians with some slight fiddling. I think the only thing is it couldn't technically be our primary and we'd have to edit the succession law

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Oh, we can play Holy Orders, and Mercs pretty easily. You can console switch to them just fine. I've done a playthrough as the Teutonic Order once. You just can't play as the Hashashins unfortunately.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Just read the first few chapters. Wow, this is an amazing LP, well done. It's actually catching as game of thrones.
Cannot vote as i'm not well into the story yet, just wanted to congratulate.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

RattiRatto posted:

Just read the first few chapters. Wow, this is an amazing LP, well done. It's actually catching as game of thrones.
Cannot vote as i'm not well into the story yet, just wanted to congratulate.

Aw, thank you! Welcome aboard, catch up and pick a country, the vote is still open.

Now, vague administrative things. As you can probably tell, the next century will be our last CK II one, and the conclusion of the Caravan of the Dead story arc. Which means the EU4 conversion is almost upon us.

With that, I'm going to outsource some flagchat and national ideas to you guys. Since, as previously mentioned, I'm not actually good at EU4, I'm not gonna be the best judge of balance. I'm trusting you fuckers here.

Basically, pick a country or two (and bold the name), hopefully something that will survive the next century, and give me:

- 1 National Tradition (2 ideas, basically)
- 7 National Ideas (with names and descriptions)
- 1 National Ambition

Ever since The Cossacks came out, idea group choices are done dynamically, so we'll see how that works in the test games.

Things you may need to know:
- The Holy Roman Empire does not exist. Its mechanics will be transplanted to the Solar Empire, which will cover most of the part of the map that says "Church of Zun" on it.
- With Catholicism fighting for its life over the past few centuries, the Catholic Church has not grown as decadent as ours did by 1453. Reformation mechanics will be transplanted to the Zunist faith.
- Central America (and the southern part of North America) will be High American tech group, but will be broken up into small Aztec empire successor states. They brought a plague to us, and took one back home.
- South America will have a weakened Incan empire in the High American tech group.
- Northern North America will probably remain the same.
- China will be split into several Successor Kingdoms to the Song Dynasty.
- East Africa will be filled with Merchant Republics that sprung up after the Socotran trade routes dried up.
- South East Asia will be much more developed by the people that fled the Aztec Plague.

So, if you got ideas for ideas, throw them my way! And if you have flags, I'd be super down for those as well.

To get you started, here's a list of ideas for custom nations in the nation designer. Disregard the costs, we won't be dealing with those.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I kinda did ideas for a group instead of ideas for a specific nation. Whoops.

For the Frankish States (aka, Everything not Francia in France)

National Tradition: Allow Female Generals Yes, Hostile Core-Creation on Us +25
1. Female Merchants: Domestic Trade Power 10%
2. Reform the Feudal Army: Discipline +5%
3. Securing Our Defenses: Fort Defense 15%
4. Cathar Reformations: Technology Cost -5%, Stability cost modifier -10%
5. Frankish Cuisine: Yearly prestige +1
6. One God, One Faith: Missionary Strength +2%
7. The New Army: Morale of Armies +20%
Ambition: Culture conversion cost -10%

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I kinda did ideas for a group instead of ideas for a specific nation. Whoops.

For the Frankish States (aka, Everything not Francia in France)

National Tradition: Allow Female Generals Yes, Hostile Core-Creation on Us +25
1. Female Merchants: Domestic Trade Power 10%
2. Reform the Feudal Army: Discipline +5%
3. Securing Our Defenses: Fort Defense 15%
4. Cathar Reformations: Technology Cost -5%, Stability cost modifier -10%
5. Frankish Cuisine: Yearly prestige +1
6. One God, One Faith: Missionary Strength +2%
7. The New Army: Morale of Armies +20%
Ambition: Culture conversion cost -10%

Groups work too! Especially for the shattered Zunists, Francia, Shia, etc.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Remnants of the Roman Empire

Traditions:
+5% Discipline
+1 Yearly legitimacy

National Ideas
Behead the Doukes:
−1 National unrest

Employ Church Administration:
+2 Diplomatic reputation

SPQR:
−20% Stability cost modifier

Rebuild the Legions:
+15% Land force limit modifier
+10% Infantry combat ability

Romance Architecture:
+20% Production efficiency

Professional Bureaucracy:
+10% National tax modifier

Restore the Empire:
−20% Core-creation cost

Ambitions:
+33% National manpower modifier

:v:

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

sheep-dodger posted:

Remnants of the Roman Empire

Traditions:
+5% Discipline
+1 Yearly legitimacy

National Ideas
Behead the Doukes:
−1 National unrest

Employ Church Administration:
+2 Diplomatic reputation

SPQR:
−20% Stability cost modifier

Rebuild the Legions:
+15% Land force limit modifier
+10% Infantry combat ability

Romance Architecture:
+20% Production efficiency

Professional Bureaucracy:
+10% National tax modifier

Restore the Empire:
−20% Core-creation cost

Ambitions:
+33% National manpower modifier

:v:

That seems ballsy enough to keep. If there's gonna be any Greeks left.

Though I'd change Church Administration to +1 Papal Influence. They've been solidly Catholic for a good two hundred years.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Alright, and with that, I'm closing the vote. The winner for our last CK2 century is Vestlandet. The film theme will be musicals because gently caress you, I like musicals.

Feel free to suggest goals, I'm gonna be playing the century through this week.

P.S. East African films are coming, it's just been a bitch to find ways to watch them in a language I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kayten posted:

Alright, and with that, I'm closing the vote. The winner for our last CK2 century is Vestlandet. The film theme will be musicals because gently caress you, I like musicals.

Feel free to suggest goals, I'm gonna be playing the century through this week.

P.S. East African films are coming, it's just been a bitch to find ways to watch them in a language I understand.

Sounds like it's finally time to take up Swahili :v:

• Locked thread