Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

signalnoise posted:

RE: Internet

A deal has been made. Because we didn't want the phone service anyway, FIL will pay for the internet and phone in return for us continuing to be his on-call old man tech support.

Yayyyyyyyyyy

Do yourself a favor and set up Chrome Remote Desktop, it will make your life much much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh cool just make the bill someone else's problem instead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Oh cool just make the bill someone else's problem instead.

If the parents were not well off I would agree with this.

But it sounds like those in laws have a good chunk of change, so while I wouldn't say abuse or take advantage of the scenario, if they want to help and are well within their means yes sir I will take your help.

The only downside is leaving the parents open to holding something like this over signal noise's head, which is his risk to take.

I vote to taking that $150 savings and put it right towards debt each month to further justify accepting family money.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Agreed. If Sig uses that $150 savings for anything resembling games or minis or hobbies at all, he should feel incredibly guilty and ashamed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

COOL CORN posted:

Agreed. If Sig uses that $150 savings for anything resembling games or minis or hobbies at all, he should feel incredibly guilty and ashamed.

Yeah pretty much. The way I see it is like this- A friend of mine was planning his wedding and had 10 grand socked away budgeted toward that project. They PLANNED to use 10000 dollars on the wedding. His parents gave him 2000 dollars to help with it. His wife then, instead of saying "oh great now it only costs 8000 to us" thought "now we have 12000 to spend on this wedding." It's my goal not to have that mindset.

Duckman2008 posted:

The only downside is leaving the parents open to holding something like this over signal noise's head, which is his risk to take.

I took their help for 5 years living with them while I got back on my feet and they never once lorded it over me so I think I'm ok. Hell, my mother in law is still upset that we're not going to be living with them anymore.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 12, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I took their help for 5 years living with them while I got back on my feet and they never once lorded it over me so I think I'm ok. Hell, my mother in law is still upset that we're not going to be living with them anymore.

My mom is very similar in this mindset and I've seen other families similar to what you describe, so I both believe It and would agree you are probably fine.

If you ever want to trade in laws, I am down. Mine aren't bad, but my father in law definitely still uses an iPod touch 2nd Gen and an old Kindle he got for free through a contest as his portable internet devices. Not bad people, just extremely thrifty (so I guess good with money).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

my father in law definitely still uses an iPod touch 2nd Gen and an old Kindle he got for free through a contest as his portable internet devices

You're complaining about old people who actually use modern electronic devices.

My mom still uses AOL.

My mother in law goes for months without checking her email. She's literally afraid of her computer.

QVC and Home Shopping Network still make piles and piles of money, from people who are incapable or terrified of shopping online (but OK with telling a stranger on the phone their credit card number).

Annnyway, yeah I guess foisting your unnecessarily-expensive internet off on the in-laws is a good deal, although I wonder if they're aware that they're just subsidizing your entertainment budget rather than a necessary expense. In the meantime, it's August 12th. How much have you already spent in August on games and game-related stuff?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

In the meantime, it's August 12th. How much have you already spent in August on games and game-related stuff?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Want to buy a bunch of Everblight pieces off me for 25% of retail?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nope!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Welp, it looks like I've been turned down for pay-as-you-earn and income-based repayment. :toot:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Welp, it looks like I've been turned down for pay-as-you-earn and income-based repayment. :toot:

How much student loan debt do you have? What are the interest rates and monthly payments?

I suspect there's a reason for being turned down somewhere in there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Devian666 posted:

How much student loan debt do you have? What are the interest rates and monthly payments?

I suspect there's a reason for being turned down somewhere in there.

About 110k, 6.125%

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

signalnoise posted:

About 110k, 6.125%

That makes me want to cry a little bit

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

il serpente cosmico posted:

student loan debt like that is as :911: as you can get in this generation

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

il serpente cosmico posted:

Oh I nearly forgot the monthly payment. About 400 Private and 635 Federal.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looks like about a 12 year repayment. They won't give you income based as the time to repay it would probably lengthen.

e: This is a good reason to not spend on gaming and see if you can divert extra money towards the student loan. Any extra money you put towards it will reduce the repayment time by months or years. There will be a point where you could switch to income based but you aren't quite there yet.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 18, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

edit: ugh

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Private lenders are less important than federal; if you have to skip or lessen a payment short the private loans first. It is obviously a poor financial choice not to pay a debt though so I wouldn't make any budget plans based on shorting your loan payments.

Good luck. I'm still paying mine off with extra interest because I was denied IBR/forbearance after graduation, and defaulted on all of them for over a year. Capitalized interest bites.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Not being able to cut down the monthly payments on the student loans sucks, but looking on the bright side, that'll only be a factor for as long as you have other items on your balance sheet that need to be paid down first. Google Docs is being lovely at the moment so I can't have another look at your debts, but if those credit cards are the only liabilities with a higher interest than your loan, the solution is to get those paid down quickly. After they're no longer a concern, it won't matter so much what the minimum payments on your student loans are, because they'll be your next target for repayment so you'll be paying more than the minimums on them anyway. Besides that, you'll have more money available then, without the credit card interest dragging you back.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress all private loans. Not saying you should default but I defaulted on mine and settled for less than the original principle. Granted I had had a relatively paltry 20k when I settled for a 9k lump sum.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Uhhh so as it turns out they actually did approve my consolidation AND my income-based repayment request. It showed up wrong for whatever reason the other day. So that's cool. Very cool.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Uhhh so as it turns out they actually did approve my consolidation AND my income-based repayment request. It showed up wrong for whatever reason the other day. So that's cool. Very cool.

Well that is good news. Income based repayments worked out really well for me especially as I got a series of pay increases when I first started working. Hopefully you'll get the same benefit over time.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

pig slut lisa posted:

Formatted for better legibility

code:
Master Category		Category			May '15			Jun '15
TOTAL			TOTAL				($2,094.13)		$1,025.28 
Spending		Games				$711.87 		$653.47 
Spending		Unknown				$39.99 			$75.19 
Spending		Hair				$0.00 			$105.00 
Everyday Expenses	Groceries			$0.00 			$24.88 
Everyday Expenses	Spending Money			$0.00 			$119.23 
Everyday Expenses	Restaurants			$103.59 		$579.36 
Everyday Expenses	Medical				$237.84 		$168.88 
Everyday Expenses	Household Goods			$73.44 			$19.58 

So I just read this whole thread and I know I'm a month late, but it really bothered me that people seemed not to notice that these numbers are NOT totals for May and June; if you read the post where they came from you see that this is just the last ten days of May, and the first twenty days of June, and he's split this 30-day period up for no apparent reason except to make himself look better. He spent $700 on his stupid toys in ten days.

As long as I'm posting I'll also say that spending thousands of dollars on these stupid toys that you don't even seem to do anything with except stick in a drawer so you can decorate them at some later time that never comes, when you have SO MUCH DEBT, is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I respect Blue Story's spending more, because her financial situation is way better than yours and it's easier for me to understand how she can justify it to herself.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OK

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Whoa! Someone who's bad with money posted how they're bad with money in a thread about being better with money in the future! BETTER JUMP ON THIS OPPORTUNITY TO LOOK LIKE A DICK

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Whoa! Someone who's bad with money posted how they're bad with money in a thread about being better with money in the future! BETTER JUMP ON THIS OPPORTUNITY TO LOOK LIKE A DICK

While the last poster definitely was blunt, if you spent $700 on toys and then split it to hide it, I would agree that is a big red flag to point out so you learn from it.

Don't take it so personally, people are here to help.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

While the last poster definitely was blunt, if you spent $700 on toys and then split it to hide it, I would agree that is a big red flag to point out so you learn from it.

Don't take it so personally, people are here to help.

That's assuming a LOT about my intentions, and not reading the loving thread

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Well I think we can definitely answer the question at this point. No, you are not an adult now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

gently caress it then

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

That's assuming a LOT about my intentions, and not reading the loving thread

Not assuming a lot, just responding to your last post. I e read the whole thread, and gave you encouraging posts before.

All I said was chill. I don't get why this is a big deal.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Not assuming a lot, just responding to your last post. I e read the whole thread, and gave you encouraging posts before.

All I said was chill. I don't get why this is a big deal.

"that" being that I supposedly intentionally split the money up to make myself look better. That's complete horseshit. Why would I even bother posting the tally? I split it up because people wanted a 30 day account and because of the house buying poo poo that's the one that made the most sense. If I wanted to twist facts around to make myself look better, I wouldn't have made the thread at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well, if it's partial months that combine to make a rolling 30, you should just account for it as a single 30 day period. I can see how people would think it was disingenuous, even if that wasn't your intent. The format presented makes it look like a 61 day period.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

signalnoise are you going to have some kind of August spending numbers next week, and/or a September budget?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yes, I am going to have both, I just didn't see the point until August 31st

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, if it's partial months that combine to make a rolling 30, you should just account for it as a single 30 day period. I can see how people would think it was disingenuous, even if that wasn't your intent. The format presented makes it look like a 61 day period.

I explicitly said that it was a 30 day period when I posted it and also noted that those numbers were including the purchase of a PC. I'm not spending 700 bucks in 10 days on plastic dolls. Yes I also realize that it is still a ton of money for anything I mark under "gaming"

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 28, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You appear to realize it with your last sentence but it doesn't really matter what you specifically spend the seven hundred dollars on. You could have spent it on 186 bushels of corn instead of a PC; what matters is you spending the money that you can't really afford to spend.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been following the thread, but don't remember it mentioned, so forgive me if it's been brought up already...

...why did you need to buy a new computer?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You appear to realize it with your last sentence but it doesn't really matter what you specifically spend the seven hundred dollars on. You could have spent it on 186 bushels of corn instead of a PC; what matters is you spending the money that you can't really afford to spend.

If you aren't going to keep up with the time frame, being before and after I started giving a poo poo, then why are you giving advice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

signalnoise posted:

If you aren't going to keep up with the time frame, being before and after I started giving a poo poo, then why are you giving advice

post some evidence that you "giving a poo poo" has made a meaningful impact on your spending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

post some evidence that you "giving a poo poo" has made a meaningful impact on your spending

Sure, give it a few days and you'll have a monthly report.

• Locked thread