Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Just to put things in perspective here, dude... you were spending the equivalent of an entire one of my paychecks on minis each month. Two weeks of my hard work, half my monthly income, being thrown at minifigures you haven't even painted. Shameful.

Actually, I'm really glad you're trying to look at things from a fresh perspective here because that kind of spending could be ruinous even at your tidy income level. Your therapist had some good suggestions for curbing your nickel-and-dime spending habits. I work at a home improvement store and I understand the urge, especially with a brand-new house, to go out and buy ALL THE SHINY TOOLS so that you are prepared for whatever big adult home-improvement projects you may want or need to tackle.

As somebody who also bought a fixer-upper home 5 years ago and also has a tendency to pick up projects (like minis and games) and get bored halfway through them... let me warn you.

1) After working all day most human beings do not want to come home and face a war zone of half-finished home improvement projects. This will become depressing and you will start looking for things to buy that will "help me finish the project!". Don't start more than one thing at a time, do it right the first time, and limit your spending to what you NEED for that project. Home Depot rents miter saws if you must have one for putting up that shelving in the corner...

2) It's really, really easy (as you've noticed already) to nickel-and-dime your budget to death if you're making a ton of little purchases for your projects. I see this all the time at my store. People show up to buy tile for their bathroom, but don't buy the tools or the grout "because I'm not ready to do it yet." They show up again the next week for their tools, have a hard time picking their grout color because they don't know what tile they picked out, can't remember if they bought sponges last time, buy more, realize they had some at home and spend another trip back to return the unused stuff. Don't be those people. Save your gas and your sanity. Make a list (or ask an associate to help you make one) and buy it all at once. This will also help you realize the total cost of a project up front instead of having to sort through receipts to figure it out.

Good luck, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Private lenders are less important than federal; if you have to skip or lessen a payment short the private loans first. It is obviously a poor financial choice not to pay a debt though so I wouldn't make any budget plans based on shorting your loan payments.

Good luck. I'm still paying mine off with extra interest because I was denied IBR/forbearance after graduation, and defaulted on all of them for over a year. Capitalized interest bites.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I have never paid more than $30 for a hair cut even though I am a woman. Your wife is clearly not just a woman but a ~*~LADY~*~ who knows how to pamper herself.

Cutting the restaurant budget is a great idea and should be easy. Even buying pre-made microwave meals to bring for lunches you should save money but homemade is ideal both for health and savings. If you need cheap homemade lunch ideas hit up the "Help! I'm poor and want to make good food" thread or just ask people here; my husband and I prefer to do up big amounts of soups, rice+protein, pasta+veg, etc for dinners and bring the leftovers out for lunch the next day. If he makes soup there's usually enough for a week's worth of my lunches or we freeze it and when I'm in a hurry I can it throw it in my lunchbox and it's thawed by lunch. If you love charts and planning there are a million blogs out there with meal planning charts and lists and shopping helpers... if not just buy a lot of staple foods in bulk, add seasonal produce weekly, and wing it. Making your own food is sooooo rewarding. :)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Acid Queen posted:

Wifey chiming in on the hair "issues." It was a cut and partial highlight with a stylist at a medium-grade salon. I think my last dye job was about 6ish months ago and don't plan on another one anytime soon. This one was done with the idea that I'm not going to be maintaining it, so this will grow out not looking weird. It sounds ridiculous and you may go "just go to great clips, Nancy is always fantastic!" Or "Revlon has a box for 12.99" but I've already had my hair annihilated by both crappy box dyes and lovely salons, and it costs more to fix that in the long run. And even if Signal was ok with me shaving my head, I'm not ready for that Miley look (and neither are my bosses).

Sorry dudes, ladies hair is complicated. But to reiterate: this is not a reoccurring monthly expense of that amount.

Oh, that makes more sense and you were smart to get a cut that will grow out well.

• Locked thread