Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
A house is just another debt commitment, and without a decent deposit you throw a lot of money away on interest.

Don't get more debt without improving your financial literacy. Buying a house should be a calculated decision with consideration for the risks of home ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Tell him to gently caress himself I guess

This is quite important to do. So long as you are aware you can't afford it you can use that as an out for everything expensive.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

I have to reinforce one thing here. Other people convincing people that I should spend money is not THE problem here. The problem is me spending the money. Moreover, it's me convincing MYSELF that I can afford poo poo. It's my own bad decisions that got me here and I won't be blaming anyone else. When I got my master's, it was ultimately my decision. I filled out the paperwork.

Ok that's quite clear. It does come down to habits. You need to try a few techniques to find what will stop you from spending. Get a budget together. If you look at the budget prior to spending you'll know what you can and can't spend. Often the budgets in various BFC threads are not even looked at prior to spending.

You probably need to find a way to deal with impulse buying as well. Whatever you spend on is money you could put towards debts and if you buy non-essential stuff now you're paying interest on it instead of reducing interest payments.

I'm not sure what will work for you.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

The problem is going to come two weeks from now when I stop giving a gently caress. I can build up hype for self improvement but staying on course permanently is gonna be tough. We'll see.

There's another way to think about this in that you have a debt emergency. One post from the previous page says you have $12k of credit card debt. That's really bad and the money spent on interest is actually wasted. Perhaps having a focus on eliminating the carried balance on the credit cards and getting to a point where you pay the entire balance each month would keep you focused. Credit cards are also where a number of people have bad spending habits.

I'm ignoring the mortgage and student loans as both should be paying down the principal, given that your student loans are on pay as you go.

e: when it comes to spending you could be old-fashioned and save the money to buy the things you want (after you've paid off the credit cards).

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 21, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Every time I get the urge to make an impulse purchase on Steam, I notice that backlog, and notice Far Cry 3, Fallout New Vegas, GTA IV, Skyrim, and Dark Souls squatting in it, amongst other things that I keep meaning to play, sometime. It's surprisingly effective at blunting the urge to plunge for sweet deals and bloat my Steam library ever further.

I do the same and I only buy really good deals. Of course most of the games I get are at the two steam sales and a few humble bundles. I spent very little on gaming each year now.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

I talked to my therapist today, and she suggested I eliminate my "spending account" money for a month or three, so I can focus that money on home poo poo but only the home poo poo I actually need. That way I can get accustomed to not having the money at all when I go back to having a spending account with half as much or less in it. I also have to track my spending, and I only get to make Amazon purchases on Sundays and Wednesdays, so I can see in a lump sum just how much I'm spending on this poo poo instead of nickel and dimeing myself. Thoughts?

This is your assignment from your therapist so I say follow it strictly. Even from what you have said your therapist has set this up so that you can both learn and change habits. I also endorse these type of budget experiments because they can shed a lot of light on where you money is really going.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I have no idea what I want out of life other than enjoy it day to day, and I rarely manage that. I have never had space for big projects, physical or otherwise.

You won't figure everything out instantly but moving from what is just straight up consumerism to doing other things with your time will lead you to a better life. I've even pulled out old war game stuff that I haven't had a chance to play since I was at high school. I spent a whole $24 to get the latest rulebook for Car Wars and bought Ogre for $2.95. I could have spent more but there's no point as I can get enjoyment out of these old games.

Other games purchases are now down to picking up a couple of games when the steam sales are on. Even then I don't spend that much and I still use my old PS3 as I see no point in upgrading.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Welp, it looks like I've been turned down for pay-as-you-earn and income-based repayment. :toot:

How much student loan debt do you have? What are the interest rates and monthly payments?

I suspect there's a reason for being turned down somewhere in there.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looks like about a 12 year repayment. They won't give you income based as the time to repay it would probably lengthen.

e: This is a good reason to not spend on gaming and see if you can divert extra money towards the student loan. Any extra money you put towards it will reduce the repayment time by months or years. There will be a point where you could switch to income based but you aren't quite there yet.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 18, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Uhhh so as it turns out they actually did approve my consolidation AND my income-based repayment request. It showed up wrong for whatever reason the other day. So that's cool. Very cool.

Well that is good news. Income based repayments worked out really well for me especially as I got a series of pay increases when I first started working. Hopefully you'll get the same benefit over time.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

...why did you need to buy a new computer?

This is important because of your gaming and gaming hardware spending.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What spending are you looking at reducing this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Cut hobbies/games at least in half, aiming for 0 but I'm a realist and I'd rather be disappointed with myself than break my goal and say gently caress it

Bring lunch to work at least 3/5 days a week

Some good goals. New habits might help out with reducing spending. Playing through steam games you've never played and working on miniatures you already have can be good distractions from spending.

• Locked thread