Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

1- About 300 bucks a month I'd say
2- None right now
3- None
4- Every day at work
5- Oh god yes. The kitchen was the main selling point in the house we bought. I've been going loving nuts living with my inlaws and not having my own kitchen.

If you don't cook at all I would bet that you may be spending more than you think. If you average just lunch at fast food at $8 (and that's conservative), then multiple 5 days a week for 4 weeks, that's $160 for each of you. So that's $240 of your $300 on lunch. What are you guys spending for breakfast, dinner and snacks if you don't cook? What are you spending on alcohol?

And for the record: food is my personal biggest expense and cost enemy, and tends to be for a lot of people. So if it ends up being a lot, don't worry, you do have company in that issue.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Did you just completely ignore the cost and affordability aspect, or what?

If you really wanted your own place, there are people who own houses that will let you rent the house with limited financial risk.

Well, at his point the house is purchased, so it sucks that it may not have been fully thought through, but nothing to do about it now (as far as I know).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Due to my living situation there are lots of things I haven't regularly paid for in years.

Because I created this budget in August so they're new "expenses" as of August. Note that the outflow is not in September, but the balance carries over.

Income doubles because the August income is the starting balance of my checking account as that is "new" to this installation of YNAB. That is reflected as a balance amount to be budgeted that carries over to the next month, but there are no paychecks listed in August. Every paycheck received in August is applied to the September budget, and paychecks received in September will be available in October. The goal is to be able to pay for next month in advance. Income streams are listed in the individual budget accounts off to the left in the UI which I did not put in that screenshot.
The account balances are off to the left outside that screenshot.

That's the thing. I'm looking at incurring lots of new expenses that I never had to account for before. Groceries, gas, a bunch of poo poo that had been provided to me before, so I really don't have any historical data to draw from. I really am just tracking spending and trying to keep it low at this point, because I don't have the information I need in order to budget for next month beyond shot in the dark estimates.

It's ok to do a shot in the dark.

Gas: $150
Groceries: $300
Electric: $300

Etc. I would just high ball it and then if/when you are under you just lower it on your budget. Biggest reason why is to just make sure you aren't spending more than you are making.

Edit: looked at your budget, as a tip you don't yet have any insurance cost on there. You def have to have home insurance, car insurance and health insurance (all should be fixed costs), so I would add those. If your health insurance is like mine and pooled out of your paycheck automatically, I would still factor it in just so you know.

2nd edit: cell phone bill?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 9, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Home insurance: Added, 135 a month.
Health insurance: I am going to leave that out for now because I have no control over the cost anyway and I never see the money. Also I dont' know how I would account for it without affecting the budget.
Car insurance: I will have to get that amount from my wife but yeah that needs to be on there.
Cell phone bill: Nope

edit: Turns out home and car insurance combined is 135. Thanks USAA thanks FIL for your service in 'nam saving me money

Wow that's really good for both if that $135 includes both yourself and your wife.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Oh cool just make the bill someone else's problem instead.

If the parents were not well off I would agree with this.

But it sounds like those in laws have a good chunk of change, so while I wouldn't say abuse or take advantage of the scenario, if they want to help and are well within their means yes sir I will take your help.

The only downside is leaving the parents open to holding something like this over signal noise's head, which is his risk to take.

I vote to taking that $150 savings and put it right towards debt each month to further justify accepting family money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I took their help for 5 years living with them while I got back on my feet and they never once lorded it over me so I think I'm ok. Hell, my mother in law is still upset that we're not going to be living with them anymore.

My mom is very similar in this mindset and I've seen other families similar to what you describe, so I both believe It and would agree you are probably fine.

If you ever want to trade in laws, I am down. Mine aren't bad, but my father in law definitely still uses an iPod touch 2nd Gen and an old Kindle he got for free through a contest as his portable internet devices. Not bad people, just extremely thrifty (so I guess good with money).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Whoa! Someone who's bad with money posted how they're bad with money in a thread about being better with money in the future! BETTER JUMP ON THIS OPPORTUNITY TO LOOK LIKE A DICK

While the last poster definitely was blunt, if you spent $700 on toys and then split it to hide it, I would agree that is a big red flag to point out so you learn from it.

Don't take it so personally, people are here to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

That's assuming a LOT about my intentions, and not reading the loving thread

Not assuming a lot, just responding to your last post. I e read the whole thread, and gave you encouraging posts before.

All I said was chill. I don't get why this is a big deal.

• Locked thread