Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

signalnoise posted:

Everyday Expenses Groceries $0.00 $24.88
Everyday Expenses Restaurants $103.59 $579.36

I'm curious, what did you eat in May? $103.59 at restaurants doesn't feed two people for a month. You didn't go to the store for drinks or snacks or anything? Or would that not fall under groceries?

Good to see you start getting harder on yourself with regards to non-essential spending. I hope some of these plans work well for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

signalnoise posted:

It's likely entirely fast food. I don't eat well when I'm traveling to job sites. Also that is only the last 10 days of May.

Ah okay, that makes more sense. I'm sure you know this, but eating from grocery stores is a lot cheaper than fast food. Though, of course, that can be difficult on the road.

Do you and your wife have separate bank accounts?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

signalnoise posted:

We have 3 bank accounts right now. One is for our joint expenses, and then we each have a bank account for "spending cash" so we can have our allowances marked separately without having to necessarily track every purchase (a problem for me it seems).

Problem is a good word for it, and I only say that from personal experience.

When my wife and I (then girlfriend) were dating with separate bank accounts it was easy to spend way too much on things with no accountability. Now they we have consolidated down to one joint account, it's a lot harder to spend excessively because I have someone I'm accountable to.

Not telling you that's something you necessarily need to do, just saying that's what made a change in my own life.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

signalnoise posted:

I talked to my therapist today, and she suggested I eliminate my "spending account" money for a month or three, so I can focus that money on home poo poo but only the home poo poo I actually need.
Solid advice. If just willing yourself into better habits isn't working (which it doesn't seem to be), forcing yourself into them is the way to go.

quote:

I also have to track my spending
Have you... not been doing that?

quote:

and I only get to make Amazon purchases on Sundays and Wednesdays, so I can see in a lump sum just how much I'm spending on this poo poo instead of nickel and dimeing myself. Thoughts?
I see what she's getting at with that, and I could see it working. But this is AFTER the month or three of no frivolous spending, right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Not window-shopping is good advice. There was a time when I used to just browse stuff on eBay, add it to my watch list, see what it ended up selling for, but somehow I kept spending money - once I stopped seeing the deals that were out there, I magically stopped spending money!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

signalnoise posted:

How the hell do I determine what's a legit expense vs what's a "spending" expense? I'm sitting here like thinking "I want to build a desk" and sure, it's not that expensive if I buy the materials and build it myself, but at the same time, am I responsible for the lumber out of that last 100 bucks I got to last me months? This is very, very frustrating. I mean, ok my wife doesn't want to split the cost of a reciprocating saw because she says she'll never use it, but I don't watch TV yet I split the cost of Netflix.

You want to buy a saw and you want to buy lumber for a bench that you want to build. It's your expense, so it comes out of your expense money.

What happened to the bench that you already have that you bought stuff for to clean it up and use it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's not a business expense, it's just "business class" level internet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Agreed. If Sig uses that $150 savings for anything resembling games or minis or hobbies at all, he should feel incredibly guilty and ashamed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've been following the thread, but don't remember it mentioned, so forgive me if it's been brought up already...

...why did you need to buy a new computer?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

a worthy uhh posted:

We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.

I had written a post but deleted it. Then "a worth uhh" came and said it better than I could, and more succinctly.

You can't just handwave off the past and say "yeah, yeah, I'll be better from now on." Nobody ever starts with a blank slate except for the day you're born. You need to be upfront and frank about the past, and keep revisiting it, because it happened for a reason and there are always going to be lessons to learn from it. If things get brought up from before August 1st, and you have a set plan in place that you're sticking to to mitigate the issue in the future, address it and move on with the confidence that it's fixed. Sometimes anger comes from an insecure feeling that you haven't actually fixed the problem.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

And you just came into an IRC channel to tell me "ffs coolcorn shut the gently caress up" so... nevermind! Can't help those that aren't willing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CuteJen96 posted:

Just found out that I've got 24 hours of sick time, 12 hours of PTO, and 5 vacation days left for this year.

I think you're crossing the stream a bit here B-man.

• Locked thread