Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droo
Jun 25, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I mean, ok my wife doesn't want to split the cost of a reciprocating saw because she says she'll never use it, but I don't watch TV yet I split the cost of Netflix.

Splitting finances leads to resentment? nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

signalnoise posted:

This is why I'm trying to head this off at the pass and get a solid understanding. Frustration and resentment are NOT something I want. What's a good set of rules here?

Well, in your situation I would buy the cheapest desk I could find on Craigslist because you are about to be in a lot of financial pain and there are better ways to spend time than building a desk. I imagine you could get something for $20.

As far as finances in general, I always advocate combining finances and giving each person an equal spending allowance. I would consider Netflix a joint expense, and in your case I wouldn't buy a saw right now.

As a married guy with a couple houses and lots of tools, I would probably attribute at least 70% of the times I've used my reciprocating saw to poo poo that my wife wanted, so I also don't really think it's fair to call it "your" saw.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Well I think we can definitely answer the question at this point. No, you are not an adult now.

• Locked thread