Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Man YNAB sure is a piece of junk software. I find it amazing how every person with these threads insists on using it, and comes up with some new method for making it totally incomprehensible.

Why do you not have anything in the everyday expenses list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Mint? Looking at your bank statements? Is it that hard to look back at your previous spending habits?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Your food budget isn't too bad overall, but given the amount of food you're eating out, you must be eating a lot of fast food to feed yourselves for a month, is that correct? Something to think about in the long term is the quality / healthiness of the food you're eating. Cooking food for a week is a good way to get yourself eating home cooked food without the time involved in cooking everyday. Lots of google options to help you shop and cook for a week / month at a time.

I'd encourage you to be more specific about how you will succeed with your goals of bringing lunch three times a week, and how you will control your hobby spending. Are you going to pre-make lunches once a week? Are you going to buy frozen dinners? Are you going to make a set amount of money you will spend on your hobbies? Will you stop reading certain blogs, remove yourself from email marketing lists, etc?

You really need to get going on completing your budget. I would encourage you to come up with a set amount to pay on your credit cards. Paying extra on the cards with the 'leftover' money gives you a lot of room to spend on less important items. This will help force you to stick to a budget because you won't have as much money left over at the end of the month.

One last thought is that both you and your wife should continue to pursue higher paying jobs, especially your wife. Any increases to income make a huge difference for your ability to pay debt (duh).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Why on earth did you buy a house an hour away from your job?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Acid Queen: How much debt will you have when you leave school?

I know it's already too late re: buying the house, but other folks should take this situation as a cautionary tale. Buying a house when you're not super established in your career can be a really risky call financially. Being able to easily relocate for work can significantly increase your earnings and quality of life. Just moving to reduce your commute time can be insanely expensive when you have a mortgage - think closing costs/broker fees.

If AQ has the same same debt coming out of college as Signalnoise, combined with a house that probably cost what $175k? You're looking at somewhere in the range of ~$300 in debt? Do either of you have any retirement savings?

Your situation isn't horrible, but it's not great either. When you step back and look at the bigger picture, you really need to start sticking to a realistic budget, paying down debt, and saving for retirement. All of this while keeping an eye out for higher paying jobs near where you live (since you don't want to relocate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I know that ship has sailed, but I hope you live somewhere with lots of job opportunities close to where you own a house.

• Locked thread