Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dude how the gently caress are you spending like 500-700 a month on games?

sorry I know that sounds judgmental, but I game like a motherfucking boss (PC) and spend maybe 50 bucks every two months, tops. maybe throw in a $300 gfx card once a year or something.

find some (ahem) alternative ways of finding new games, stop and enjoy the games you already have, or christ if you're microtransactioning a MMORPG or something, just stop!

also echoing what other people have said, long term projects are a lot more fulfilling and time consuming than clicking a mouse at a computer. I've taken up woodworking, invested a little bit of money into a small shop, and now I'm making small pieces of furniture and poo poo. making a desk takes me a week of 3-4 hour nights, and not very much upfront money in wood and stain and poo poo. you can even sell your poo poo if you're good enough, and make money at it. cooking is a legit hobby, gardening, tons of other poo poo that takes very little money, and a lot of learning and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

Miniatures gaming is a hell of a drug

yeah just basically don't do that anymore

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

How the hell do I determine what's a legit expense vs what's a "spending" expense? I'm sitting here like thinking "I want to build a desk" and sure, it's not that expensive if I buy the materials and build it myself, but at the same time, am I responsible for the lumber out of that last 100 bucks I got to last me months? This is very, very frustrating. I mean, ok my wife doesn't want to split the cost of a reciprocating saw because she says she'll never use it, but I don't watch TV yet I split the cost of Netflix.

legit expenses : lunch, gas, catfood, orange juice, car tag renewal, batteries, telephone, gas, utilities, toiletries, socks

spending expenses : bars, movies, games, fancy clothes, coffee, electronics, jewelry, books, magazines, hobbies (tools, minis), furniture (to clarify, it's a spending expense regardless of if you DIY or buy)

my wife and I don't "split the cost" - we just have a joint checking account and credit cards - and I'll be honest, I'm guilty of buying tools and poo poo and taking up hobbies that don't always get finished as quickly as they should - but both of us drat well know it's a spending expense, and when my gal is like 'I'm going to go spend $100 on a dress I really want' I can't say poo poo because I know I spent $77 at home depot last week to work on some shelving projects in our house, and went out to a bar with some friends for $30.

neither of us use it to our advantage or have any resentment - the goal is always to save as much money as humanly possible - but sometimes you need to build a goddamn shelf, and sometimes you need a really cute dress. if you have budgeting problems, clarify the parameters of your spending expenses, and work out an arrangement that rings true for both of you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey I know it's a dead topic, but I run an IT consulting business off comcast residential blast + (the $70 tier), and they don't cap at that level unless you're being ridiculous. Also the speeds are better than the business class $149 level.

I was on the $59 tier for a long time and got notices about usage overages and poo poo, I torrent out my rear end (easily 500gb/mo) - so I upgraded to the blast+, and now I'm golden. encrypt all your torrent communications. (strict https only to the tracker and peers). haven't gotten a notice since. and that'd literally cut your comcast bill in half. not criticizing though, because worrying about it is stressful, and $50/mo isn't absurd for an entertainment expense.

also this YNAB software looks like garbage. I read P&L statements / financials almost every day of the week for my job, and I can't figure out what's going on in your spending/budget after spending like 15 minutes staring at all those numbers. not your fault, I'm sure.

why are "pre YNAB" debts listed as 'outflows'? why does your income nearly double between aug and sept? Also where are your income streams even being listed? where's the balance statement for liquid cash/savings/investments you could be budgeting towards paying down debt? also agree with someone who said it looks like this is less of a budget and more of a payment tracker at this point. which isn't a problem - I don't have a budget, I just look at expenses retroactively and if I spent way too much in a category, I pare it down next month. lots of approaches work...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 9, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I have just come to shrug and say hey, my commute is an hour. :thatsatlanta:

no it's not. I live in Atlanta. When I had a 9-5, my commute was 12 minutes. My wife's commute is 15 minutes. just saying. taking a job near where you live is completely possible. it may not be what you've chosen to do, and that's fine, but I don't understand how or why people spend 2 hours a day commuting in this loving city, and feel pretty strongly about that point. I know you explained it away with your travel, but!

also, that hair expense... I asked my wife and she poo poo her pants. if it's the expensive fancy coloring, maybe don't color the hair?

that said, your restaurant and grocery expenses are ridiculously small. $85 on groceries for a month? I honestly can't believe it. If your total food expenses - both dining in and buying groceries in Atlanta - for an entire month between the two of you amount to 466.53, you're doing very well there.

Gas seems really low for a 2 hour daily commute? ??? / gj?

Also, did you not pay mortgage last month?

I know this goes without saying, but your home improvement expenses wrecked the month completely - you're spending money you don't have there. We can't see the entire picture since we don't have the mortgage and loan balances in YNAB, but it looks like you're making minimum payments on your student loans, car, and mortgage. I'm sure your mortgage is probably fine, but just be careful about accruing interest faster than you can pay it off. I'm sure your credit cards are the main thing to worry about there, and it sounds like you're making an effort to divert funds that way, so good job. but still, spending thousands on home improvements while carrying a balance on a credit card! (!!)

I'll stop harping!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
granted I only started following a couple weeks ago, but why do I even loving check this thread anymore

seriously signalnoise, get your poo poo together or close the thread, please. I don't care if you're posting less in general or whatever. seriously I don't care. just close the thread, or post updates.

• Locked thread