Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You never stopped buying video games did you

:sigh:

Like you had the information what, a year and a half ago to move forward and be better and instead you remained the same, and hell even when I brought it up you lied to both me and yourself about your spending habits to maintain it. You should probably adopt all the tips and tricks you learn in this thread, but jesus you're going to have to do some inner searching because this has been a sustained problem. You don't even play what you buy, and you feel a need to buy things the moment they come out not when they're extremely devalued and easy to buy. It's more compulsive than learned bad behavior and it should be treated that way. Maybe a budget will help but I'm going to say it's going to take more change from mindset than learning to budget.

Hopefully budgeting works.

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm impressed and happy that you weathered your introduction to BFC in the newbie finance thread and have decided to come back and make your own. Looking forward to seeing you tackle all this.

I had no idea if you meant the first time, or the second time.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BossRighteous posted:

This is a really convenient way to continue to be sensational in every single BFC post, while also diminishing the importance of a budget you yourself never commit to.

poo poo you've got me, you're right, I've never committed to a budget before :jerkbag:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Do you have any advice other than seeing a therapist

Actually I'd recommend finding better hobbies that take you away from gaming in general and help contribute to a better lifestyle which includes spending way less money. I'd recommend diet and exercise in general on top of seeking out a therapist. I think it'd do more for you than something you've already tried once and didn't seem to get good results from. Either that or a combination of both including budgeting. I don't agree that budgeting is the end all be all of healthy financial growth and these I think are better ways of addressing compulsive behaviors.

Also to be a complete dick yes, you should also see a psychiatrist.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Can you come up with better challenges for yourself when trying to persuade yourself from not purchasing games? I think a good rule that would calm down your need to buy more would be something concrete and simple like only games on discount, and only after I've played a different game or am first experiencing a game for at least 15 hours. That way you have to face what you've bought also before moving forward to do more things. Games get discounted fairly quickly on steam too so it'll give you a time buffer to make better decisions.

Of course all of this on top of financial responsibility in general and whatnot.

signalnoise posted:

Fortunately I'm already seeing a mind doctor so I'm good there, though it's pretty expensive! :v:

Diet and exercise is definitely something I'm trying to get into, which will actually be a lot easier with the house. I'll be cooking at the very least. I think that as far as compulsive behaviors are concerned, the best thing I can do is cultivate a habit of doing. I tend to be a planner, not a doer, which is a big source of problems. I'll buy game stuff and not use it, I'll buy exercise equipment and not use it, hell I'll buy cooking poo poo and not use it. The best thing for me to do, on that end, is to actually start doing the things I plan.

But we'll see how this goes. I am accommodating to a fault, so I'm using this thread as a way to be obliged to something. My therapist likes to give me homework, and I do it because I'd rather do it than be nagged. And on that note, I still haven't done the mint poo poo.

So, OK thread, give me a deliverable to do. What exactly do you want out of mint? I also have YNAB already purchased. What do you want me to show you that I've done?

Diet and exercise is amazing and so is cooking. Those alone will save you more money, keep you occupied, and help you in being better. Also good since you are seeing brain doctors I'd also track your spending habits vs what different meds you've been on. It's super helpful in figuring out what helps!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

So you know, this is what I do. It's not video games that kill my wallet, it's miniatures and miniatures related stuff. I very rarely buy video games full price.

Then you can throw out the discount rule and employ a painting rule. 15 hours of painting before you spend 50 dollars on minis. It'll be near impossible to come over budget if you do something like that, and painting is where a lot of the rewarding fun of it all even comes from. My overall point is to try and come up with a way to take away the fun from buying the product and move it toward having fun using it. You'll lessen the spending the problems doing something like this.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How much time have you spent painting since I last posted?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

None because it's all in disarray from packing and I spent the last week in another state

Sounds like you have a no money fun activity planned for the weekend then right? :wink:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Cool, when are you going to start painting?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ONE HUNDRED FORTY THREE DOLLARS FOR INTERNET?!?!?!

:psyduck:

Did you skip like 5 bills or something?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Probly cause it's a business line. We made the decision that internet speed is more important to us than whatever else we'll have to sacrifice for that money.

If it's a business line then why is it in your budget? Aren't your business finances separate from your personal ones? Also you really need to price out those internet speeds you're in way excess on your plan if it's that much.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 7, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That's extremely confusing. You should be spending 60-100 dollars a month less on internet you're going overboard with it for the sake of going overboard. You could easily be spending an extra 80 dollars for 10 mbps depending on the pricing plans, plus you don't even need the phone.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

We wanted the option of a land line, and business class has no data cap. We eat hella data and comcast data caps are super low at least in our area.

Something something moderation.

Go get the prices again along with the caps, I just don't believe 170 dollar internet is your only option.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Saying

signalnoise posted:

We made the decision that internet speed is more important to us than whatever else we'll have to sacrifice for that money.

Means that anything less isn't an option. Not in those exact words, but that's effectively what you're trying to get across. I'm saying you should research the amount of dollars per MB/cap you're getting because after 100 dollars a month (which is absurd already) there's no way you're getting any real value.

You're making a bad financial decision and sticking your heels in the ground over it because it's wahhh I want it. That's being childish and bad with money.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I'll eat this one then Veskit, I'm a child I guess. Sorry I don't want to pay for a data cap.

You're not being a child because you don't want to pay for a data cap, it's the fact that you're not exploring all of the residential options in your area before pulling the trigger on spending 140 dollars a month on internet and a phone you don't use. You could also go check your internet history and see how much data you actually use then price it accordingly. Are you sure you're going over the cap each month?

This is a huge luxury expense, and you could easily free up room in your budget for whatever the gently caress dumb table you want at some point but you're making an effort not to act on it because........ Reasons.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I'm sure I go over the data cap, and I did investigate options. Does the fact that I made this decision fully-informed of the options frustrate you more, or less?

You went over the options when?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Before buying the package we got. I shopped around for internet which is essentially you have the option of Comcast residential packages or Comcast business packages or satellite if you're even dumber.

When as in around what time. Month and year.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Also please consider that my wife and I just dropped a combined 800$/month in spending cash and we're switching from eating out to making our own food and you're giving me poo poo about a 50$/month difference and it's really making me not give a gently caress what you say Veskit. I would appreciate it if you dropped this particular point or take a different approach on it because it's taking a toll on my ability to listen to you. I signed a contract. It's not changing this month.

You didn't drop 800 dollars a month in spending, you labeled a budget with a drop of 800 dollars a month. cutting your internet is a tangible change to how much you're paying. Also you can cancel a contract if it makes sense or negotiate a better price. Also if you can't see the importance of saving 50-100 dollars a month at this point then.... :sigh:

Also what were you doing before you moved into the new house?

signalnoise posted:

I'm sure I go over the data cap, and I did investigate options. Does the fact that I made this decision fully-informed of the options frustrate you more, or less?

If this was a fully formed decision then you have problems with financial decision making, and if you got it without all the information then you have issues with information gathering. Both are real detriments to good financial decisions, but they're not the same thing.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 7, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

gariig posted:

I think what Veskit is getting at is Comcast isn't doing required data caps anymore. You can opt-in to a data cap for a savings on your internet. I have Comcast in Seattle and go way over the "soft data cap" of 250gb every month. You should call and ask. I pay ~$75/month for cable, HBO, and 100mbit cable per month.

I'm trying to explain how decision making works because everything signal talks about seems to be a lack of understanding or tools. If you come in and go i haven't seen a cap in a long time, or I pay 30 dollars for 40mbit internet and it's 100% fine with what i'm doing, that's an good decision based off my needs. Sig on the otherhand goes I NEED IT, pounds his foot on the ground and that's that. Which is a big problem when you're trying to learn how to be better with money.

Signal the answer is there's no way you're getting 140 dollar value out of your internet, and that's a budget issue. You can ignore it, whatever, but it's a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Your constant bullshit attribution of emotional outrage to my financial decisions is doing little to help your case. It's really pretty annoying. If you're not willing to engage me as an adult with money problems instead of as a spoiled child then please shut the gently caress up.

I'll say this as cold, and plain as I can put it.

Spending 140 dollars a month on internet is atrocious and you should fix it. Good luck Signal.

• Locked thread