Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Something that helped me when I was in ye early days of married budgeting was dividing stuff out to a daily level. People think about things a day at a time. You don't think on Sunday night "I will spend 40-50 hours in the next 5 days at work", you think "I'm working from 8 to 5 for the next five days, and will probably have 3-5 hours of leisure time each day after work". Thinking of big sums a month at a time can be abstract, and that's when the surprises hit you.

I divided up my income to a daily rate. I'm salaried, so that's easy to do. Prioritize them in order of "most necessary" to "least necessary"
OK, so out of the $150 of gross income today:
$24 goes away for taxes
$25 goes to rent
$18 goes to my car payments + registration/insurance (all of which are easy to estimate)
$6 goes to fuel for commute + whatever else
$4 goes to my student loan minimum payments
$9 goes to to health insurance/HSA
$20 goes to food
$20 goes to retirement & long term savings
$4 for phones and internet

I only have $20 left after everything else that MUST HAPPEN has been spoken for. (and I still haven't bought soap, laundry detergent, clothing, etc.)
So buying another Lord of the Rings LCG core set for $28 to get four more Gandalfs is a whole day and a half's worth of money. If I want to buy a GTX 970 for $340, that's 17 days of money if I'm spending money on literally nothing else besides my baseline expenses listed above during that time period.

Puts your income in a better perspective to look at your free cash flow. In the above example, yeah, I earn $55k/year, but I only control ~$7,300 a year. Spending $250 on a Steam sale means I've spent 3% of my annual income.:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

signalnoise posted:

RE: Internet

A deal has been made. Because we didn't want the phone service anyway, FIL will pay for the internet and phone in return for us continuing to be his on-call old man tech support.

Yayyyyyyyyyy

Do yourself a favor and set up Chrome Remote Desktop, it will make your life much much easier.

• Locked thread