Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/the-media-mens-emotions/?utm_source=SocialWarfare&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare

I thought the notion that men only have the outlet for Anger and not much else was a particularly good observation and it would explain, in part, why men are more represented among people who commit violence. At the same time, while we are allowed to be sad, it comes with the label of being emotional. Being confident makes me a "bitch." Either way, it is toxic and we should as a society evolve on the matter and encourage the story telling arts to show the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genpj
Aug 11, 2012

I've read somewhere that in a past man crying were not only not considered weak, but crying was common even with strong men. Example would be Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar. It was just one accepted form of expressing emotion be at admiration of something beautiful or sad.

I've always found it sort of funny how things have changed.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
For I looked out and saw there were no more worlds to conquer, so I closed my door and cried like a bitch boy. - Alexander the Great

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Is this not all rather obvious and mundane?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Achilles and Priam cried together, masculine group tears are cool

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Webcomics aren't though why did you post a webcomic thread?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, this all basically Gender Studies 101 and the sort of thing that starts seeming simplistic and trite if you delve a little deeper.

From my own experience, sex and gender science is a particularly politicized field where the textbooks are frequently written by movement feminists and queer advocates. This is better than the old approach of leaving it up conventionally-minded old men and clueless neo-Freudians, but the current crop of authors does tend to overemphasize the social conflict perspective (IE, mentioning "patriarchy" on every single page) and sometimes have some pretty funny ideas about what true gender equality might look like.

Judging by the deliberately androgynous art style, I'd say our cartoonist is the sort of person who thinks that most differences between the genders are artificial (and typically oppressive) social constructs and we'd all be a lot happier if we tore the walls down. Interestingly, there's another (equally feminist) perspective that says that gender roles are informed by natural and immutable differences between the sexes and a truly egalitarian society would respect and celebrate those differences rather than trying to treat men and women as if they were the same. These two viewpoints have been clashing for years (sometimes in the same textbook), and the science is not nearly so settled as to establish which one is "right," even if such a thing were possible.

These are issues that a lot of people are incredibly invested in and even experts in the field can get things stupidly wrong or simply don't have enough to work with. I try not to put much stock in what people on the internet have to say about it, even if it's as innocuous and banal and this comic, because a lot of the things people think they know about sex and gender are based more on what sounds good than what's true.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa, that's so... so deep, man.

Just think about how we have.... gendered insults, man.

e: Seriously, why did you think a gender studies 101 webcomic, oh I'm sorry, a visual essay, was worth its own thread. It's tolerably insightful, but it's not exactly new.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 19, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Duckbag posted:

Interestingly, there's another (equally feminist) perspective that says that gender roles are informed by natural and immutable differences between the sexes and a truly egalitarian society would respect and celebrate those differences rather than trying to treat men and women as if they were the same.

What garbage.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Mostly but when trying to design an egalitarian society at some point you do have to acknowledge that, while gender roles are by and large just social constructs, people with an XY chromosome do not ever get pregnant (at least in my experience). Doesn't mean everyone with an XX chromosome will, just that absolutely nobody with an XY chromosome will. I mean if you don't cross that bridge you just look kind of ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as a webcomic about gender roles.

E: I shouldn't have to say this, but this observation is not meant to be prescriptive or say that people with different biology should or would act in a specific way or adhere to a specific identity.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 19, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duckbag posted:

Judging by the deliberately androgynous art style, I'd say our cartoonist is the sort of person who thinks that most differences between the genders are artificial (and typically oppressive) social constructs and we'd all be a lot happier if we tore the walls down. Interestingly, there's another (equally feminist) perspective that says that gender roles are informed by natural and immutable differences between the sexes and a truly egalitarian society would respect and celebrate those differences rather than trying to treat men and women as if they were the same.

so how do men and women biologically differ in the expression of emotion

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Duckbag posted:

Judging by the deliberately androgynous art style, I'd say our cartoonist is the sort of person who thinks that most differences between the genders are artificial (and typically oppressive) social constructs and we'd all be a lot happier if we tore the walls down.

they are

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so how do men and women biologically differ in the expression of emotion

hormones? which differ from person to person I guess so not really but is there a hormonal baseline difference between men and women? i know nothing about it

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Trans people don't exist? I disagree.

Dreylad posted:

hormones? which differ from person to person I guess so not really but is there a hormonal baseline difference between men and women? i know nothing about it

http://gpi.sagepub.com/content/11/2/143.abstract

Whether or not these neural differences are a result of years of socialization or not might be able to be argued? I dunno, not a brain doctor either. I would be surprised as well if hormones played no role.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 19, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My main issue with claims that gender is 100% a social construct is that it has bad implications for trans people. If it's all social, then were trans people badly socialized? Should medical professionals try to 'resocialize' them?

Bruce Reimer's case presents another challenge to that view. His penis was obliterated by a surgical accident at the age of 6 months, and due to a prevailing belief in the socialization model, doctors decided that the easiest way forward was to remove the testes, reassign him as female and raise him accordingly.
Dr John Money, the presiding psychologist, declared the experiment a success and used it to forward his theories of gender identity, however that never happened and Reimer later in life said that he had always internally identified as male.

There are a lot of things in gender roles that are purely social or cultural, but gender identity itself seems to be something deeper and difficult to square with the idea of a purely social gender.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
In general I doubt anything is purely nature or purely nurture; the default assumption should always be that underlying biology plays a role.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

My main issue with claims that gender is 100% a social construct is that it has bad implications for trans people. If it's all social, then were trans people badly socialized? Should medical professionals try to 'resocialize' them?

Bruce Reimer's case presents another challenge to that view. His penis was obliterated by a surgical accident at the age of 6 months, and due to a prevailing belief in the socialization model, doctors decided that the easiest way forward was to remove the testes, reassign him as female and raise him accordingly.
Dr John Money, the presiding psychologist, declared the experiment a success and used it to forward his theories of gender identity, however that never happened and Reimer later in life said that he had always internally identified as male.

There are a lot of things in gender roles that are purely social or cultural, but gender identity itself seems to be something deeper and difficult to square with the idea of a purely social gender.

That's still a social construct, but humans are social creatures so that we have very integrated social tendencies isn't too surprising.

If you put a human in a complete vacuum I doubt they would have any concept of male or female, both are defined by socialization, in contrast to other humans around us. Without society there is no concept of gender because there is only you.

That doesn't really mean you have to make everyone one or the other or neither though or that you have to decide for other people which, if either, they want to be. But it does mean that "this is a prevalent social archetype therefore it has inherent value and people should aspire to fit it" is a stupid idea. Gender roles are as mutable as any other social concept and carry no moral obligation to either fit or not fit them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

just because we don't have a social construct of gender that fits all cases, or is often incorrect, doesn't mean that the idea that gender is socially constructed is incorrect. it just means humans are imperfect and often wrong or express flawed ideas. your argument is like saying that science doesn't know everything yet, therefore science can't know anything

in a way, trans people are 'badly' socialized - they're forced to accept gender roles which are uncomfortable or inappropriate for them as individuals because society cannot or is not willing to permit them to express themselves as they are. there is a mismatch, and it's society's problem

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 19, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Popular Thug Drink posted:

just because we don't have a social construct of gender that fits all cases, or is often incorrect, doesn't mean that the idea that gender is socially constructed is incorrect. it just means humans are imperfect and often wrong or express flawed ideas. your argument is like saying that science doesn't know everything yet, therefore science can't know anything
Well, you could argue that, but you'd be arguing epistemology at that point. It's more like arguing that because a certain branch of science got some things badly wrong due to the prevailing theories of the time, they should revise their theories based on that data. Which is exactly what happened after Money/Reimer.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I really don't think the comic delves deep enough into feminist concepts for the fundamental differences between men and women to be particularly relevant. It only has the modest goal of discussing how social pressures guide the way we judge emotions.

Isotropic
Jan 6, 2013

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Mostly but when trying to design an egalitarian society at some point you do have to acknowledge that, while gender roles are by and large just social constructs, people with an XY chromosome do not ever get pregnant (at least in my experience). Doesn't mean everyone with an XX chromosome will, just that absolutely nobody with an XY chromosome will. I mean if you don't cross that bridge you just look kind of ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as a webcomic about gender roles.

E: I shouldn't have to say this, but this observation is not meant to be prescriptive or say that people with different biology should or would act in a specific way or adhere to a specific identity.

you're commenting on this post:

Duckbag posted:

[some feminists say] gender roles are informed by natural and immutable differences between the sexes [and that's ok]

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Another great thread by Mandy Thompson

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
More related to the thread responses than the comic, but I never got the argument that something can be dismissed because it's a basic analysis of the subject being discussed, especially when the general population (at best) barely acknowledges it. It would be one thing if it was used in an academic discussion among people who study these things as a career, but in a public discussion, especially on the internet, it's glib to invalidate something like this as too simplistic.

I'll give that this doesn't deserve it's own thread (assuming the feminism thread still exists), but my point still stands.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 19, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MizPiz posted:

More related to the thread responses than the comments, but I never got the argument that something can be dismissed because it's a basic analysis of the subject being discussed, especially when the general population (at best) barely acknowledges it. It would be one thing if it was used in an academic discussion among people who study these things as a career, but in a public discussion, especially on the internet, it's glib to invalidate something like this as too simplistic.

I'll give that this doesn't deserve it's own thread (assuming the feminism thread still exists), but my point still stands.

People are being glib because someone posted a new thread for a single subpar comic about some surface-deep philosophical argument. That doesn't mean the argument is bad, it's just that there's really nothing to talk about.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Its too bad bitch is gendered because there's something great about an insult that means two completely contradictory things

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I always imagine that first door says genocide.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bip Roberts posted:

I always imagine that first door says genocide.

lol, from now on, so do i

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Who keeps moving this poo poo to D&D? Haven't we suffered enough, we already read D&D.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Gas.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Haruhater
Oct 15, 2010

I AM UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF BASIC COGNITIVE FUNCTION

please donate to my gofundme

Duckbag posted:

Interestingly, there's another (equally feminist) perspective that says that gender roles are informed by natural and immutable differences between the sexes and a truly egalitarian society would respect and celebrate those differences rather than trying to treat men and women as if they were the same.

Well duh. Philosophy has known and understood this for a long time - I'd even go as far as to say since the dawn of philosophy itself.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Is this not all rather obvious and mundane?

Yeah this is kinda what I came into this reading this- all of this talks about are things you can figure out by the 6th grade. Also does anyone else just roll their eyes when "Problematic" is used to describe something?

What this doesn't say is things are getting better in the developed world at least. What would be unbelievable even only 20 years ago like stay at home dads are pretty common nowadays. People just see the negatives in their own lives.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah this is kinda what I came into this reading this- all of this talks about are things you can figure out by the 6th grade. Also does anyone else just roll their eyes when "Problematic" is used to describe something?

What this doesn't say is things are getting better in the developed world at least. What would be unbelievable even only 20 years ago like stay at home dads are pretty common nowadays. People just see the negatives in their own lives.

It's amazing much progress we have made with the pussification of America.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, "problematic" tends to be undergrad-speak for "it makes me uncomfortable, but I can't really articulate why." It's fine to say something is problematic if you actually say what the problem is, but too often people on the internet don't really know how to do that.

Haruhater posted:

Well duh. Philosophy has known and understood this for a long time - I'd even go as far as to say since the dawn of philosophy itself.

Maybe it's obvious to us, but like every other nature/nurture debate, people will probably be debating it long after we're dead.

People rarely admit it, but a lot of it's grounded in metaphysics and what they think a "soul" looks like. Some people (including many transfolk) believe that gender exists in the soul while others believe that souls are genderless. That's just religion at that point and it's sort of hard to argue with either way, but it often enters into how people present the scientific "facts."

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Dreylad posted:

Estrogen makes the intensity in which you feel emotions go up like woah compared to testosterone

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

none of these men are weeping

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Also there's been a long and contentious debate over the role testosterone plays in male aggression and violence. Poor socialization and "boys don't cry" bullshit definitely has its role to play as well, but it's hardly the whole story. The ages at which men are most likely to commit violent crime have a startlingly close correlation with peak testosterone levels and I really don't think it's a coincidence. The phrase "testosterone poisoning" is still stupid and sexist, but the way we tend to ignore hormones and underlying genetic factors when comparing the sexes is somewhat bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

For many people, yes, gender identity is an emergent property of their neuroanatomy. To others, not so much. This is irrelevant, because even if the source of gender identity were the same for everybody it would have no bearing on whether we should or should not tear down gender-based norms, which are what cause people to have hassles with their identity.

• Locked thread