Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

okay now do one with steve job's family walking on steve jobs dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

For many people, yes, gender identity is an emergent property of their neuroanatomy. To others, not so much. This is irrelevant, because even if the source of gender identity were the same for everybody it would have no bearing on whether we should or should not tear down gender-based norms, which are what cause people to have hassles with their identity.

Hypothetically this happens and like some people who advocate for it theorize, a large portion of the population develops a fluid nongender specific sexuality. Do you think such a society would be able to keep itself from dieing out? I don't. Societys with merely greater liberation for women seem to be enough to put the majority of them on a death spiral. While I agree with you that it is ultimately a greater moral good to do so and would definitely help keep children from developing painful gender dysphoria, ultimately you have to weigh the costs. A more just society Isn't worth it if it's going to die out in five generations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Hypothetically this happens and like some people who advocate for it theorize, a large portion of the population develops a fluid nongender specific sexuality. Do you think such a society would be able to keep itself from dieing out? I don't. Societys with merely greater liberation for women seem to be enough to put the majority of them on a death spiral. While I agree with you that it is ultimately a greater moral good to do so and would definitely help keep children from developing painful gender dysphoria, ultimately you have to weigh the costs. A more just society Isn't worth it if it's going to die out in five generations.

The desire to have children is not related to sexuality or gender identity, so unless a huge number of people choose to go on hormone treatments that render them infertile (which is really, really far-fetched), there will still be procreation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Population decrease would go a long way towards resolving many worldwide problems so that sounds like a bonus?

People can reproduce regardless of their gender identity.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Population decrease would go a long way towards resolving many worldwide problems so that sounds like a bonus?

People can reproduce regardless of their gender identity.

It will be a world population decrease, but it will be the hypothetical gender equal societys elimination. That doesn't seem very fare for any trans people born after it ends.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

It will be a world population decrease, but it will be the hypothetical gender equal societys elimination. That doesn't seem very fare for any trans people born after it ends.

Generally we resolve that sort of problem by creating an immigrant-heavy underclass to service the needs of a declining and ageing population :v:

Also if society wipes itself out, we presumably wouldn't have any trans people born? Or any other people? So that seems moot?

Besides, you haven't really demonstrated why gender roles are required for procreation.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

afeelgoodpoop posted:

1) Yes, I do think the human race will keep itself from dying out;
2) Even if I didn't, what future generations do or don't do as regards reproduction is none of my business and I don't particularly care;
3) Just lol at the idea that reproductive capacity is in any way going to be contingent on sex organs five generations from now;
4) This is a loving absurd concern.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Generally we resolve that sort of problem by creating an immigrant-heavy underclass to service the needs of a declining and ageing population :v:

Also if society wipes itself out, we presumably wouldn't have any trans people born? Or any other people? So that seems moot?

Besides, you haven't really demonstrated why gender roles are required for procreation.

Well, most children are created accidentally in youth based on heterosexual trysts. If you create this vacuum where up to half of these trysts are going to be samesex, you will ultimately be removing half of the children created in this manner. Which, again, are the majority.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the human race requires teen pregnancy to be sustainable then possibly threatening it with extinction may be considered a merited stern reprimand?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

If the human race requires teen pregnancy to be sustainable then possibly threatening it with extinction may be considered a merited stern reprimand?

This reminds me of some evangelicals reasoning for why AIDS was a gift from god.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Why would anybody living today care whether or not the species is going to fail adequately to breed in a hundred years' time? Either we'll have integrated ourselves with an artificial superintelligence and it'll be a totally moot point or we'll all be dead. What kind of a loving maniac worries about whether or not their great-great-great-great-grandkids will be too tumblr-y to breed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not entirely sure that people voluntarily not having children because they don't want them is quite the same as an AIDS epidemic?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why would anybody living today care whether or not the species is going to fail adequately to breed in a hundred years' time? Either we'll have integrated ourselves with an artificial superintelligence and it'll be a totally moot point or we'll all be dead. What kind of a loving maniac worries about whether or not their great-great-great-great-grandkids will be too tumblr-y to breed?

I care for individuals who are yet to be born, and would rather they be born in a functional supportive society and not some repressive hellhole. is that really so maniacal?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I care for individuals who are yet to be born, and would rather they be born in a functional supportive society and not some repressive hellhole. is that really so maniacal?

And you're arguing for the status quo?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

afeelgoodpoop posted:

...ergo gender norms are good?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

...ergo gender norms are good?

If the removal of them caused the masses to have fluid sexuality , and it lead to a very quick death spiral for that society, then I can't see how you'd say that some form of gender norms aren't good.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

afeelgoodpoop posted:

If the removal of them caused the masses to have fluid sexuality , and it lead to a very quick death spiral for that society, then I can't see how you'd say that some form of gender norms aren't good.

1) Why would it lead to a 'death spiral'?
2) What are you afraid this 'death spiral' would look like, aside from there being fewer humans?
3) Why don't you gently caress off and let my asexual great-great-great-grandkids do what the gently caress they like?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

If the removal of gender norms would destabilise the moon's orbit and send it crashing into the earth that would also be bad.

And I think that's a compelling argument.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Men who have sex with men, and women who have sex with women, and transgender/genderfluid people all manage to have children and/or care for children, so this is a ridiculous argument.

Further, there's still going to be loads and loads of people who are cis, straight and loving each other without protection. Do you think the sole reason that people aren't coming out as gay, bi, trans or genderfluid is because it's not socially acceptable? Why in god's name would you assume that a loosening or elimination of gender roles would lead people to stop trying to get it on with each other? It's ridiculous.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I use King of the Hill to determine what emotions are permissible to express as a man, and it's worked out surprisingly well so far.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I use King of the Hill to determine what emotions are permissible to express as a man, and it's worked out surprisingly well so far.

I use "sadness because I eat spaghetti over the kitchen sink" quite a bit.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Smudgie Buggler posted:

1) Why would it lead to a 'death spiral'?
2) What are you afraid this 'death spiral' would look like, aside from there being fewer humans?
3) Why don't you gently caress off and let my asexual great-great-great-grandkids do what the gently caress they like?

when everyone is 'genderfluid', there won't be any men or women left to have children.
its simple physics :eng99:

you guys are arguing with one of the more insane gamergate posters btw.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tokamak posted:

you guys are arguing with one of the more insane gamergate posters btw.

It's a mirror.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Personal emotions are dead weight, emotions are only useful to 1. express solitude with a group or 2. to fuel an ambition that serves a greater purpose to society.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

computer parts posted:

I use "sadness because I eat spaghetti over the kitchen sink" quite a bit.

It's Boomhauer that speaks to my soul.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Emotions are good actually.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

OwlFancier posted:

Emotions are good actually.
Are they good if they're not fulfilling a constructive purpose though?
I would argue that many men avoid emotions because they often find them to be annoying or obstacles.
Emotions that do not help bring you where you want to be in life are useless; I see nothing disagreeable with that assertion.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Hypothetically this happens and like some people who advocate for it theorize, a large portion of the population develops a fluid nongender specific sexuality. Do you think such a society would be able to keep itself from dieing out?
People in the developed world aren't having kids because they actually have a choice in the matter now, and having kids is super loving expensive. If you want population growth or population stability, that is what you attack, through subsidies or what not. It's not a breakdown in gender roles that's leading to pop-decline, it's a society where both parents have to work, or the transition of jobs from full-time to part-time (and the destruction of job/income stability that brings), or the expense of childcare.

Duckbag posted:

Also there's been a long and contentious debate over the role testosterone plays in male aggression and violence. Poor socialization and "boys don't cry" bullshit definitely has its role to play as well, but it's hardly the whole story. The ages at which men are most likely to commit violent crime have a startlingly close correlation with peak testosterone levels and I really don't think it's a coincidence. The phrase "testosterone poisoning" is still stupid and sexist, but the way we tend to ignore hormones and underlying genetic factors when comparing the sexes is somewhat bizarre.
Psychological studies have shown that, even from childhood, boys get less attention from their parents, and are seen as 'angrier'. This is spite of their actual behavioral differences from girls been marginal:

http://www.alternet.org/gender/masculinity-killing-men-roots-men-and-trauma posted:

Yet both mothers and fathers imagine inherent sex-related differences between baby girls and boys. Even when researchers controlled for babies’ “weight, length, alertness, and strength,” parents overwhelmingly reported that baby girls were more delicate and “softer” than baby boys; they imagined baby boys to be bigger and generally “stronger.” When a group of 204 adults was shown video of the same baby crying and given differing information about the baby’s sex, they judged the “female” baby to be scared, while the “male” baby was described as “angry.”

Intuitively, these differences in perception create correlating differences in the kind of parental caregiving newborn boys receive. In the words of the researchers themselves, “it would seem reasonable to assume that a child who is thought to be afraid is held and cuddled more than a child who is thought to be angry.” That theory is bolstered by other studies Real cites, which consistently find that “from the moment of birth, boys are spoken to less than girls, comforted less, nurtured less.” To put it bluntly, we begin emotionally shortchanging boys right out of the gate, at the most vulnerable point in their lives
Exactly how much a specific 'human nature' determines behavior is still up for debate, but the society we are in is demonstrably policing and conditioning behavior in a gendered way, creating artificial differences and expectations. People are social animals, and tend to want to meet the expectations of others. If people expect 'men' to be violent, then wouldn't young men, wanting to be acknowledged as adult, act violently in order to validate themselves? You can't discount these kinds of effects when discussing things such as crime.

I mean think about it this way: if difference is totally innate, then why would it ever be possible to call a man 'unmanly' or a woman 'unladylike'? Wouldn't any behavior they express already be within the spectrum of behaviors correlated with their gender, by the fact that is innate?

rudatron fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 20, 2015

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

If someone thinks that the only thing stopping everyone from turning into gay transsexual heathens are codified gender roles that may say more about the individual making the assertion than any supposed truths about society.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

People in the developed world aren't having kids because they actually have a choice in the matter now, and having kids is super loving expensive. If you want population growth or population stability, that is what you attack, through subsidies or what not. It's not a breakdown in gender roles that's leading to pop-decline, it's a society where both parents have to work, or the transition of jobs from full-time to part-time (and the destruction of job/income stability that brings), or the expense of childcare.

This seems like some what of an obvious reading to me. It is obvious that this is a major contributor. Their are also academics who push for gender norm elimination theorizing that it could cause fluid sexuality in the masses. Now your proposition is that these developed countries who are mostly influenced by their economys would then subsidize child rearing to encourage a stable population. Why do you think they would do this rather than use cheaper, less socially equal immigrants to supplement the host societys losses?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

If someone thinks that the only thing stopping everyone from turning into gay transsexual heathens are codified gender roles that may say more about the individual making the assertion than any supposed truths about society.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

rudatron posted:

It's not a breakdown in gender roles that's leading to pop-decline, it's a society where both parents have to work, or the transition of jobs from full-time to part-time (and the destruction of job/income stability that brings), or the expense of childcare.

That's exactly the kind of society feminists wanted, though- a world where white upper class women could pay working class minorities to raise their kids for them while they went to work and participate as consumers.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Job Truniht posted:

That's exactly the kind of society feminists wanted, though- a world where white upper class women could pay working class minorities to raise their kids for them while they went to work and participate as consumers.

Yeah feminism is an ideology renowned for its racism.

What the gently caress are you babbling about?

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Just going back to this for a second, it absolutely is maniacal, because what you're saying is that you don't trust Future People with their own future, one in which either a) you won't be present; or b) will be far beyond wringing its hands over everybody being too genderfluid to procreate because people are living for well in excess of a hundred years and have very plausibly transcended flesh altogether.

Get help.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 20, 2015

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Job Truniht posted:

Stop talking to the voices in your head.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Oh, I dunno, the intersectionality feminism arguments didn't occur in a vacuum.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Smudgie Buggler posted:

This isn't the same thing as the social reforms that the Soviets attempted to institute with the NEP. Modern feminism has a distinctly western and distinctly capitalist in thought and ideology, and that's why it managed to cement itself into western society. How would the US even function now without a huge pool of day cares, nannies, and lower income individuals that are always present to take care of the kids of the middle and upper classes?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Claverjoe posted:

Oh, I dunno, the intersectionality feminism arguments didn't occur in a vacuum.

Many feminists, being people who existed from the late 1800s to the present, were racist. That does not make it acceptable to generalise that "what feminists want" is white supremacy.

Job Truniht posted:

This isn't the same thing as the social reforms that the Soviets attempted to institute with the NEP. Modern feminism has a distinctly western and distinctly capitalist in thought and ideology, and that's why it managed to cement itself into western society. How would the US even function now without a huge pool of day cares, nannies, and lower income individuals that are always present to take care of the kids of the middle and upper classes?

Why are you equating feminism with the white privilege of the most prominent ideologues of the Second Wave, though? It sounds like you're saying feminism bad because white people bad.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 20, 2015

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why are you equating feminism with the white privilege of the most prominent ideologues of the Second Wave, though? It sounds like you're saying feminism bad because white people bad.

Because I think it is an ideology wholly owned and subsidized by the bourgeoise. Rarely does it permeate into where it is needed the most: households with high birth rates and huge amounts of poverty- both only possible because of traditional gender roles. Post gender equality will only happen after it does reach the proletariat.

e: and yeah, white people owning an ideology tends to make it suck

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 20, 2015

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Job Truniht posted:

Because I think it is an ideology wholly owned and subsidized by the bourgeoise. Rarely does it permeate into where it is needed the most: households with high birth rates and huge amounts of poverty- both only possible because of traditional gender roles. Post gender equality will only happen after it does reach the proletariat.

idk dude, I think feminism is a pretty good thing if it stops people from cutting their girl baby's vaginas because they believe that would make them less likely to be slutty later on in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Job Truniht posted:

Way not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

quote:

e: and yeah, white people owning an ideology tends to make it suck

Firstly, I don't think feminism in 2015 is predominantly a white people thing, and secondly, even if it were that wouldn't be an argument for it being bad, it'd be an argument for taking it off them.

• Locked thread