Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kit Walker posted:

Paul Ekman is a researcher who wrote a lot of fantastic books about emotions and how we express them, and it's pretty laughable to hear anyone talk about how we'd be better off without emotions or without expressing emotions. We'd never get anything done, and the people who are already at the bottom of the ladder would get hosed over even harder. Anger and sadness have done a great deal to get us where we are, socially. Every emotion has its place and use.
We would become a utopian society through the power of logic and rationality alone. :mitt:

Nobody would actually be happy though, because that is not a rational use of neurotransmitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Back when I was studying philosophy of Mind it was interesting moving from the analytic tradition, seeking to prove or quantify a Theory of Mind to trying to understand our ability to relate to other people to examining it from a phenomenological or emotional standpoint. Essentially it isn't that we have some set of beliefs regarding other people's having minds, etc. but seeing those we identify as 'others' triggers feelings in ourselves that mirror how we feel when we act. Essentially we can better understand the human experience by framing it in terms of emotional response than an accumulated set of analysable beliefs.

Emotions under that picture act as reasoning heuristics, our conscious mind only pays attention to certain objects and deals with a limited number of possible actions, what those are is determined in large part by our emotional situation. When we're anxious it can be difficult to, say, enjoy a meal because our mind is focused on the object of our anxiety even if it's not in the immediate vicinity. When we feel scared the things we pay attention to can shift radically (imagine a spy terrified of being caught walking down a crowded street versus someone window shopping). The possible interpretations and actions in response to objects and others are always there our mind simply doesn't waste time trying to process them. Removing emotions means we need to either have a vast increase in our own computing abilities to deal with near infinite possible actions (which would really become bounded only by what is physically possible) or create a whole new set of reasoning heuristics and another set to help determine when those heuristics should be applied, etc. Emotions can definitely go wrong but they're a fundamental aspect of how we're able to actually act rationally in the world. We only think of them as irrational because we notice instances of irrational behaviour when emotions are inappropriate. We're not thinking about all the times that someone smartly ran when faced with a dangerous situation because they were terrified of it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You could probably make a comparison to AI optimization stuff that attempts to maximize a 'fitness', where the fitness is some kind of emotional gratification. So harkening back to Freud, when he says that civilization and other social actions are a kind of suppressed sexual drive.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I don't think the maxim that says power is a universally (or even generally) corrupting force is one that should be as blindly accepted as it is.

People in positions with the kinds of power to which that saying usually refers (political, economic, bureaucratic etc.) tend to be viewed by those without those powers – and therefore the public at large – as being more morally corrupt than the norm in a given society. But that doesn't necessarily mean that their power corrupted them. I think it's fairly obvious that most people don't really know what their scruples truly are until they're placed in a position where the application of them might have some consequence. The kinds of powers with which we interact most frequently (pedagogical, pastoral, parental etc.) aren't really considered corruptive at all, if you think about it. Do we expect the near-absolute power parents have over their children to turn them callous and sadistic?
That's probably because the one's that aren't seen as corrupting are also incredibly limiting. Political/economic power is simply more absolute than parental or pastoral (it's notable that when pastoral power was a real thing, because it was deeply embedded into the political-economic system, it too was strongly associated with corruption).

I'm not sure whether the blind acceptance of anything is a good idea, but as far as ideas about politics go it seems pretty straight-forward. You can of course argue that ideology can make things worse (Nazism isn't just a matter of corruption, but also dehumanization), but I'd be incredibly skeptical of any ideology that says they can reduce that corrupting effect, if only because every one that's tried has failed (Theocracy has this kind of fantasy of moralistic-restraint as a counter to political corruption at its core, but surprise surprise its bullshit).

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It is quite beautiful that a mathematical construction could gain such a level of complexity that it becomes abstracted from and does not instinctively understand the root cause or reason for such fundamental aspects of its existence like emotions. Our emotions are borne, as you say, for practical reasons of evolution, but we place a meaning upon them that goes beyond that.
Mankind is the universe gazing upon itself, and contemplating and questioning the justification for its own existence in the mass hallucination that is civilization, culture, and society.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It's one level of understanding emotion but I think it's important to also emphasize that we can view emotions as heuristic devices, behavioural modifiers and even delve down to describing them as C-neurons firing at X time (or inconjunction with J-Neurons firing, etc. conditions) but these are also the experiences that give meaning to human experience.

I'm talking about them in the more scientific terms because I believe that's what most people engaging in the discussion from the position that emotions are pointless or extraneous will respond to and I don't think it's somehow a wrong way of understanding them. I don't agree that it's a primary way to do so, I wouldn't agree that we should understand emotions in art or as conjured by a novel or important shared experience firstly in terms of how they caused people to behave or shift their thought processes. That's something for later analysis and on a mass level, doing crowd psychology, it has value. In terms of understanding what it's actually like to live that experience or what that means to another human being? That's a totally different issue. Also they're not crazy irrational things.

You know all those stupid bits in ST:TNG where Data is acting like an idiot? That's probably a really, really generous picture of how an android devoid of emotions would behave in situations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

MrNemo posted:

It's one level of understanding emotion but I think it's important to also emphasize that we can view emotions as heuristic devices, behavioural modifiers and even delve down to describing them as C-neurons firing at X time (or inconjunction with J-Neurons firing, etc. conditions) but these are also the experiences that give meaning to human experience.

I'm talking about them in the more scientific terms because I believe that's what most people engaging in the discussion from the position that emotions are pointless or extraneous will respond to and I don't think it's somehow a wrong way of understanding them. I don't agree that it's a primary way to do so, I wouldn't agree that we should understand emotions in art or as conjured by a novel or important shared experience firstly in terms of how they caused people to behave or shift their thought processes. That's something for later analysis and on a mass level, doing crowd psychology, it has value. In terms of understanding what it's actually like to live that experience or what that means to another human being? That's a totally different issue. Also they're not crazy irrational things.

You know all those stupid bits in ST:TNG where Data is acting like an idiot? That's probably a really, really generous picture of how an android devoid of emotions would behave in situations.
(I know, necro'ing a crap-rated thread, whatever)
Sometimes I feel like it would just be better to be a robot, to not feel anything. I don't mean this in some stupid autistic way. I have emotions and desires, I have empathy and I want to make people happy, I want to find someone to love and all that, but I feel like there is just this great distance between me and everyone else. I'm surrounded by people everyday and yet I feel alone.
I obsess over work and learning so that I can distract myself. People start to feel transient and only worthy of manipulation. I'm an amicable, social person yet I've never had anyone I would call a real friend. People often say I'm distant.
Maybe I don't try hard enough, maybe I'm just unfit in a Darwinian sense.
When you think about it, becoming a machine would be Nirvana in the Buddhist sense, removing yourself totally from desire.
Eh, nobody cares anyway.
This is why we have these forums, to project our shadow into a virtual void instead of real life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

(I know, necro'ing a crap-rated thread, whatever)
Sometimes I feel like it would just be better to be a robot, to not feel anything. I don't mean this in some stupid autistic way. I have emotions and desires, I have empathy and I want to make people happy, I want to find someone to love and all that, but I feel like there is just this great distance between me and everyone else. I'm surrounded by people everyday and yet I feel alone.
I obsess over work and learning so that I can distract myself. People start to feel transient and only worthy of manipulation. I'm an amicable, social person yet I've never had anyone I would call a real friend. People often say I'm distant.
Maybe I don't try hard enough, maybe I'm just unfit in a Darwinian sense.
Start an en thread. Also therapy. People are awesome. Have you had many SOs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A sense of alienation isn't terribly unusual I think but yeah therapy might help if you're bothered by it. You can learn to live with it as well.

• Locked thread