Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

My experience: the people who have had the most poo poo happen to them in their lives and have had to experience the most pain, are also the most empathetic.

If you have been extremely low, and you know someone who is in a bad place, your experiences can help you to understand them, comfort them and to walk them back. I would never call that ability useless.

The new Pixar film Inside Out comes to mind actually (it's awesome go see it): joy makes us love life, fear keeps us safe, disgust makes sure we fit in socially, anger keeps things fair, and sadness lets other people know that we need help from others.

'Emotions are useless' is a terrible statement, and one that I believe contributes to a drab and repressive social environment.

This is kind of the judeo-christian thing where you exalt suffering. Pain doesn't help anyone grow into a better person, it just wounds them and creates barriers to a healthy lifestyle. Suffering is way more likely to cause alienation and irrational feelings of fear or anger towards other people than compassion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

If you could would you choose to never feel physical pain?

Like dead nerves or the magical world where there is never anything that causes physical pain. If the latter hell yeah sign me up. The first though would suck because the problems you'd get from neglecting simple injuries would be way loving worse

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Now let's draw a big analogy line from physical nerve responses to emotional ones.

I dont follow

• Locked thread