Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Narciss posted:

I'd be shocked if that's not pretty well accepted. Just ask anyone who has done anabolic steroids about the mood swings. The user will feel confident/happy/powerful during the main part of the cycle, and then possibly fall into depression/bitchiness/lethargy during the Estrogen Rebound phase. I imagine transpeople who use hormones experience similar effects, but more muted and longer lastling.

Hormones certainly do have an effect, however there is enough variation among individuals to make prescribing emotional behaviour based on sex foolish. You would be surprised by some of the in-jokes trans people have about the unexpected effects of hormones. "Testosterone makes you gay [i.e.attracted to men]" for ftms, people finding that their skin inexplicably gets worse with less of it in their system, etc.

Also to generalize, it's more like anger and depression are basically the same emotion but expressed differently because of the hormones, not that testosterone is a happy hormone and estrogen a bitch hormone. A person who is messing with their hormones who generally has a negative demeanor will be quick to anger when pumped full of testosterone and quick to tears when full of estrogen. Depending on the situation one or the other might be better. If you need to solve a problem anger is usually more helpful. If there's nothing you can do about a problem it makes sense to have a cry and move on rather than create pointless conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread