Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Duckbag posted:

Judging by the deliberately androgynous art style, I'd say our cartoonist is the sort of person who thinks that most differences between the genders are artificial (and typically oppressive) social constructs and we'd all be a lot happier if we tore the walls down.

they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

My main issue with claims that gender is 100% a social construct is that it has bad implications for trans people. If it's all social, then were trans people badly socialized? Should medical professionals try to 'resocialize' them?

Bruce Reimer's case presents another challenge to that view. His penis was obliterated by a surgical accident at the age of 6 months, and due to a prevailing belief in the socialization model, doctors decided that the easiest way forward was to remove the testes, reassign him as female and raise him accordingly.
Dr John Money, the presiding psychologist, declared the experiment a success and used it to forward his theories of gender identity, however that never happened and Reimer later in life said that he had always internally identified as male.

There are a lot of things in gender roles that are purely social or cultural, but gender identity itself seems to be something deeper and difficult to square with the idea of a purely social gender.

That's still a social construct, but humans are social creatures so that we have very integrated social tendencies isn't too surprising.

If you put a human in a complete vacuum I doubt they would have any concept of male or female, both are defined by socialization, in contrast to other humans around us. Without society there is no concept of gender because there is only you.

That doesn't really mean you have to make everyone one or the other or neither though or that you have to decide for other people which, if either, they want to be. But it does mean that "this is a prevalent social archetype therefore it has inherent value and people should aspire to fit it" is a stupid idea. Gender roles are as mutable as any other social concept and carry no moral obligation to either fit or not fit them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Hypothetically this happens and like some people who advocate for it theorize, a large portion of the population develops a fluid nongender specific sexuality. Do you think such a society would be able to keep itself from dieing out? I don't. Societys with merely greater liberation for women seem to be enough to put the majority of them on a death spiral. While I agree with you that it is ultimately a greater moral good to do so and would definitely help keep children from developing painful gender dysphoria, ultimately you have to weigh the costs. A more just society Isn't worth it if it's going to die out in five generations.

Population decrease would go a long way towards resolving many worldwide problems so that sounds like a bonus?

People can reproduce regardless of their gender identity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

It will be a world population decrease, but it will be the hypothetical gender equal societys elimination. That doesn't seem very fare for any trans people born after it ends.

Generally we resolve that sort of problem by creating an immigrant-heavy underclass to service the needs of a declining and ageing population :v:

Also if society wipes itself out, we presumably wouldn't have any trans people born? Or any other people? So that seems moot?

Besides, you haven't really demonstrated why gender roles are required for procreation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the human race requires teen pregnancy to be sustainable then possibly threatening it with extinction may be considered a merited stern reprimand?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not entirely sure that people voluntarily not having children because they don't want them is quite the same as an AIDS epidemic?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I care for individuals who are yet to be born, and would rather they be born in a functional supportive society and not some repressive hellhole. is that really so maniacal?

And you're arguing for the status quo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

afeelgoodpoop posted:

If the removal of them caused the masses to have fluid sexuality , and it lead to a very quick death spiral for that society, then I can't see how you'd say that some form of gender norms aren't good.

If the removal of gender norms would destabilise the moon's orbit and send it crashing into the earth that would also be bad.

And I think that's a compelling argument.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Emotions are good actually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Are they good if they're not fulfilling a constructive purpose though?
I would argue that many men avoid emotions because they often find them to be annoying or obstacles.
Emotions that do not help bring you where you want to be in life are useless; I see nothing disagreeable with that assertion.

If you only ever experience emotions you like you will have a rather skewed view of humanity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I don't reckon everyone should have a super lovely life so they can be empathetic because that wasn't pleasant, but to at least have a concept of suffering is pretty important for proper social awareness and interaction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I reckon that's got more to do with them all being rich twats who have no idea what being poor entails but yeah, similar idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As in, we live in a world where negative emotions are a thing, therefore to not experience them to the point of not comprehending them renders you somewhat unable to properly comprehend the experience of those around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A sense of alienation isn't terribly unusual I think but yeah therapy might help if you're bothered by it. You can learn to live with it as well.

• Locked thread