Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/the-media-mens-emotions/?utm_source=SocialWarfare&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare

I thought the notion that men only have the outlet for Anger and not much else was a particularly good observation and it would explain, in part, why men are more represented among people who commit violence. At the same time, while we are allowed to be sad, it comes with the label of being emotional. Being confident makes me a "bitch." Either way, it is toxic and we should as a society evolve on the matter and encourage the story telling arts to show the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

A big flaming stink posted:

This is kind of the judeo-christian thing where you exalt suffering. Pain doesn't help anyone grow into a better person, it just wounds them and creates barriers to a healthy lifestyle. Suffering is way more likely to cause alienation and irrational feelings of fear or anger towards other people than compassion

I think another point of the movie is that all of the emotions, including joy, taken to excess, can be a problem.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Personal emotions are dead weight, emotions are only useful to 1. express solitude with a group or 2. to fuel an ambition that serves a greater purpose to society.

If emotions had no purpose then why would we have evolved them?

• Locked thread