Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

Pain doesn't help anyone grow into a better person, it just wounds them and creates barriers to a healthy lifestyle.

If you could would you choose to never feel physical pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

Like dead nerves or the magical world where there is never anything that causes physical pain. If the latter hell yeah sign me up. The first though would suck because the problems you'd get from neglecting simple injuries would be way loving worse

Now let's draw a big analogy line from physical nerve responses to emotional ones.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

(I know, necro'ing a crap-rated thread, whatever)
Sometimes I feel like it would just be better to be a robot, to not feel anything. I don't mean this in some stupid autistic way. I have emotions and desires, I have empathy and I want to make people happy, I want to find someone to love and all that, but I feel like there is just this great distance between me and everyone else. I'm surrounded by people everyday and yet I feel alone.
I obsess over work and learning so that I can distract myself. People start to feel transient and only worthy of manipulation. I'm an amicable, social person yet I've never had anyone I would call a real friend. People often say I'm distant.
Maybe I don't try hard enough, maybe I'm just unfit in a Darwinian sense.
Start an en thread. Also therapy. People are awesome. Have you had many SOs?

• Locked thread