Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ocrassus posted:

Perhaps you missed the reply where I said that suffering is not the end goal, empathy is? I'm only going off what I have observed here, and amongst my diverse set of friends, the people who have had to deal with these kind of problems in their own history are the first to pick up on and comfort others.

Humans are social creatures, and it isn't hard to imagine that we evolved specific emotional responses to illicit reactions from our fellow tribe. It has utility.

Ocrassus posted:

My experience: the people who have had the most poo poo happen to them in their lives and have had to experience the most pain, are also the most empathetic.

If you have been extremely low, and you know someone who is in a bad place, your experiences can help you to understand them, comfort them and to walk them back. I would never call that ability useless.

Yea my massive amount of personal experience with hosed up and broken people is unanimously the opposite. Suffering makes people callous and unemphatic, and tends to encourage worldviews that glorify enduring that suffering or that either the suffering or the source of it is "good for you". It also seems to encourage people to think "I dealt with it so stop being weak". I'm not talking strictly of battlefield trauma here either, there's lots of people I met with hosed up or sad backgrounds before they even get near a gun which exhibit the same sort of behavior.

This can also be seen in many progressive causes throughout history where some of the most fervent reactionaries are the previous generation's victims.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

rudatron posted:

The point about victims becoming oppressors is true, but I don't think that's particularly relevant to this kind of personal psychology, it just shows that the malicious corrupting effects of power are universal.

This is admittedly idle speculation on my part, but it always seemed to me that many times when the victims become the oppressors it seems to be based in large part on the fact they've internalized the original oppressors viewpoint on the abuse being good/necessary/justified. Hazing rituals are a good example of the phenomenon I'm talking about.

The reaction is certainly not universal, because like you said some people use suffering as motivation to keep others from feeling similar pain. But my personal experience, and I feel history as well, tend to indicate the other reaction is far more common.

• Locked thread