Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Abominable Dr Phibes is amazing.
Not Hammer. But still a loving terrific movie.

Sentinel Red posted:

From Beyond The Grave
Not Hammer either.

Basebf555 posted:

Cushing definitely reaches peak rear end in a top hat in Frankenstein Created Woman. I was laughing my rear end off the whole time, he just fucks people over left and right.
I think he's even assholier in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The whole Dr. Frankenstein character arc, even in the lovely one where he gratuitously rapes a woman, is hilarious.
That's Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, most Hammer fans regard it as one of the better installments. Evil of Frankenstein and Horror of Frankenstein are much shittier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Unfortunately no, the films were sold to US distributors individually, so US rights are owned by several different studios and there's no way to compile them all into one set. They're all available in the states, but you'll have to hunt them down one by one.

Edit:

Curse of Frankenstein-- Warner
Revenge of Frankenstein-- Sony/Columbia
Evil of Frankenstein-- Universal
Frankenstein Created Woman-- not sure
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed-- Warner
Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell-- Paramount (but now controlled by Warner?)

Horror of Frankenstein-- not sure, but who cares, absolutely awful and not part of the official series (it's a semi-remake of Curse and does not have Cushing as the doc)

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 23, 2016

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

US theatrical version of Taste the Blood of Dracula was edited back in the day to get a PG, for the kids. Same version was on VHS. But DVD and blu ray are restored and have the uncut UK version which is rated R, for some additional adult content and brief flashes of nudity.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed was rated M upon release but that rating category no longer exists, so had to be resubmitted for home video release and got the PG-13.

But for rating categories back then that still exist now, no resubmission is required for the same edit of the film. So films like Planet of the Apes and Dracula Has Risen From The Grave retain their G rating they got in the late 60s, because the G rating still exists today. But of course nowadays the G rating is reserved for absolutely benign pap; if made today POTA and DHRFTG would surely get at least PG now... DHRFTG is, I guarantee, the most violent bloody G rated movie you will ever see.

Even so, you still would have totally dug it back when you were 8. *sigh* The ratings board back then seemed to better intuit how tough, resilient, and bloodthirsty kids actually are...

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 23, 2016

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

had they released the uncut version of Taste the Blood... with the original PG rating on it, they might've gotten in trouble, but releasing it unrated would have been totally fine (and is generally the option distributors go with in this type of situation)
Indeed, that's what happened with Swamp Thing and When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth; initial dvd releases had the original US ratings on it, but contained more explicit European versions of the films. There were complaints, and the dvds were quickly withdrawn. These are viewed as "kids' movies", and getting new ratings on the covers would protect them against this. "Hey, lady, the box cover warned you..."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

hell, Horror of Dracula and Dracula: Prince of Darkness are unrated in the US to this day
I think that's because those films predate the US ratings system.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What I'm curious about is why they went out of their way to resubmit the movies and get new ratings on them, when they could have simply released them as unrated and avoided the expense and hassle.

Ya got me there. :shrug: Maybe to avoid angry moms (see above).

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The only obvious answer would seem to be that they were doing a theatrical rerelease of the movies (the only situation in which they'd have to resubmit them, and even then not necessarily since most repertory theaters don't care), but Taste the Blood of Dracula and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed seem like pretty odd choices for that, particularly the former.

Well, TTBOD is now a truly different version of the film than what was seen here before, so it actually has some big changes and that seems to me to make it the least odd choice for a re-rating, to cover their rear end and avoid the Swamp Thing/Dinosaurs problem I mentioned above. Although, as I think about it, not all versions of FMBD have the rape scene; perhaps the reinstatement of that scene informed Warner's decision to resubmit it for rating as well.

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It sucks that they broke continuity with the third Cushing Frankenstein film.

Head canon: The continuity still sorta works for me, I consider everything that happens in the third film including the flashbacks as all happening after the events of the second movie, and Frankenstein is being selective in what he reveals to his assistant about his past adventures.

Remulak posted:

Isn't Theatre of Blood a Hammer? Picked it up recently and it's as much fun as I remember. Also picked up both Phibes, which are AIP I know but I think are awesome, my 12-yo self thought so, anyway.

Theatre of Blood is not Hammer. But yeah it's terrific.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

I've just now started collecting some of these on DVD/Blu-Ray, but I've hit a snag where it's hard to get a hold of DVDs for the Frankenstein series between "Revenge" and "Must be Destroyed." Are those movies essential viewing in terms of having to bridge gaps between the films? If so, can you point a poor colonial towards a place to obtain these pieces of high culture from the Mother Country?

Are you region-free? The US version of Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell is cut. You'll have to shop overseas to get it uncut. You can find stand-alone discs of Evil of Frankenstein overseas, too, if you don't want to get that US set. (Although, as Basebf555 said, it's a good set. It also contains the great Brides Of Dracula.)

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 12, 2017

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Pit is probably the best of the bunch, but the first two are still really good. I wouldn't call them insane, but they are cool. They're like 10 years older and the actor who plays Quatermass is very different in appearance and temperament than the actor in Pit, that might be a bit jarring for you.

If you wind up enjoying the first two Quatermass films, you should also check out X The Unknown which actually started out as a Quatermass film but then was reworked for legal reasons.

Quatermass Experiment reminds me of The Thing, Quatermass 2 is like Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, and X The Unknown is like The Blob.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Quatermass 2 is pretty amazing.

I got to see all three on the big screen- there's a theater in Independence MO that Wade Williams owns that used to just show old movies and it has/had a big 50 foot curved screen. I checked their listings obsessively for the sci fi double features.

Wow that's pretty cool, when was this? Williams is such an rear end in a top hat about his film holdings, but I didn't know he did things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Quatermass IV (actually titled simply "Quatermass") isn't Hammer. It's a BBC serial. All the Quatermass adventures were BBC serials, Hammer refilmed the first three as features. The fourth was not refilmed, but there is an edited-down version called "Quatermass Conclusion" that played in theaters. Avoid this version, find the full serial if you can. I got it from Netflix (dvd, not streaming).

• Locked thread