Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The best RTS was this one, because by the time the expansion packs came out I knew virtually every other English-speaking person who played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought that game from $5 from K-mart from the discount bin. It was fun but I sucked rear end at it. Never played it online.

Dec 26, 2012

ah gently caress the battle realms remaster had someone leave in april

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I bought that game from $5 from K-mart from the discount bin. It was fun but I sucked rear end at it. Never played it online.

It was not well-balanced, IIRC anything anyone could do the robo-Americans could do better, but it was amazing if you liked micro

it had a button to turn your guy's headlights off so they could sneak up on people at night and you could dig tunnels underneath other players' bases and pop up behind them/get caught and have a WWI tunnel fight. hard to go back to Starcraft after that

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Real hurthling! posted:

myth is the best rts series imo. base building makes matches very samey feeling. in myth (and also ground control but nobody played that besides me afaik) you drop in with your chosen roster of troops and get into the nittygritty tactics

Myth was great but they're also not really RTS games because all the missions are just set pieces.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

one of the Blitzkrieg games didn't have bases and you got to order up reinforcements just by controlling the edges of the map, which was cool IMO

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

im gonna play some more AOEIIHD

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thug Lessons posted:

Myth was great but they're also not really RTS games because all the missions are just set pieces.

can you explain what you mean?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

I think he means that like in those DOW missions where you start with a bunch of troops, maybe picking up a few new ones as you go along, there's no building or resource management so not much in the way of strategy
iirc the last campaign in Warcraft 3 was like that too, you controlled one hero (the half orc guy with the bear) and just ran around doing quests or whatever

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Great Joe posted:

Why do people like Blizzard games again?

Because the c&c games were not very well thought out in terms of game balance and unit design. They pretty much skate on funny FMV movies and weird poo poo.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

there was a time people enjoyed playing rts games because they are fun with friends and didnt care if it was the next esport to play on a stage

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

id much rather play a dry blizzard game with memorable units such as lazer cannon or man with gun than red alert 2, the game with a tank that looks like a tree amd it makes my friend swear real loud

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Because the c&c games were not very well thought out in terms of game balance and unit design. They pretty much skate on funny FMV movies and weird poo poo.
If C&C hadn't come out, Warcraft 3 would still have two factions, and they'd be reskins of each other.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know but it's always refreshing to see a steam release that isn't early access.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Great Joe posted:

If C&C hadn't come out, Warcraft 3 would still have two factions, and they'd be reskins of each other.

nobody likes an idea guy champ

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Panzeh posted:

nobody likes an idea guy champ
but then westwood went and made several fun games so

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Generals felt more or less tightly balanced, IMO. You had the tanks and air power faction, the stealth and ambush faction, and the faction that had elements of both.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Panzeh posted:

you have aids

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This game basically skated by being insanely fun, unique, and genuinely humorous at times.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

original c&c is great because trapping the enemy in a sand bag prison and filling the map with infantry for an epic rush was very fun in middle school

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Larry Parrish posted:

Generals felt more or less tightly balanced, IMO. You had the tanks and air power faction, the stealth and ambush faction, and the faction that had elements of both.

Generals is the best C&C game, and act of aggression wishes it was half as good.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

red alert 2 is the best c&c game.. its been proven

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Generals is the best C&C game, and act of aggression wishes it was half as good.

Naming a non-Westwood game the best C&C.. you definitely have AIDS.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

trying to jack off posted:

red alert 2 is the best c&c game.. its been proven

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Generals isn't really a C&C game so it doesnt count. But it's a good RTS too

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Can we all take a moment to thank Frank Herbert and Westwood for creating the RTS genre.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Naming a non-Westwood game the best C&C.. you definitely have AIDS.

AIDS is better than trying to play RA2 while putting any kind of thought into it.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Panzeh posted:

AIDS is better than trying to play RA2 while putting any kind of thought into it.

what the hell kind of retard poo poo are you even trying to say here. durrrr

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Panzeh posted:

lmao, what?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Real hurthling! posted:

You don't build or manage resources or anything, you just get given a set of units to complete a level with no strategic element. It's a tactics game.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Real Time Strategy is a misleading name since strategy is long term planning for an entire war and logistics and boring poo poo, should be called Real Tactical poo poo instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thug Lessons posted:

You don't build or manage resources or anything, you just get given a set of units to complete a level with no strategic element. It's a tactics game.

thats too reductive imo. and the word tactics has a turn based connotation. if you want to call them rtt's thats fine but i think they're widely recognized as rts games and arguing the point is more bothersome than accepting that the genre has subgenres.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RA2 is better but Generals is an RTS where I can play as 9/11 terrorists with a suicide bomber unit that can hijack civilian cars on the map and car bomb the Chinese and for that it earns points in my book

Panzeh posted:

You are dumb

Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

and the word tactics has a turn based connotation.

not really

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

RA2 is better but Generals is an RTS where I can play as 9/11 terrorists with a suicide bomber unit that can hijack civilian cars on the map and car bomb the Chinese and for that it earns points in my book

You are dumb

RA2 has a better soundtrack overall but the GLA has such know kickass themes...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I liked to play Starcraft: Broodwar a lot, and I got pretty good at it.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
*clicks on the Terran academy*

*clicks on the zerg overlord*

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Rise of Nations is a very nice RTS because I am too dumb to scout for resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the only good thing about blizzard games are the custom maps people made and even then that stopped at warcraft 3

• Locked thread