Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Well this is a followup to my earlier thread about this game which ended in disaster. Maybe people can control their jackassery for this one. I don't blame anyone who doesn't believe this because they played the first two games, which are bad. But this one is good. Poland has finally learned to make good games what with Ronin and this one. Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Do you think the polish government but a lot of money into researching game development and that's what happened.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Cyberpunk 2077 is going to knock my socks off.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Poland has finally become win after only 1049 years.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
gently caress yeah

summon the bitches

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ragg posted:

I don't blame anyone who doesn't believe this because they played the first two games, which are bad. But this one is good.

You were right, I don't believe you.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I doubt it OP. But I respect your opinion.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Ragg posted:

I don't blame anyone who doesn't believe this because they played the first two games, which are bad. But this one is good.

Why did you think they were bad, I didn't like them either but maybe for different reasons. Combat bored the poo poo out of me, didn't like how the game made you run through the same zone over and over, and I hated the inventory management bullshit especially in 2 where you needed alchemy to win tough fights. Struggling with the laggy console UI to clear enough space so I can pick a flower just set me off the game completely, maybe that was just me obsessively picking up everything I could find though

really gonna have to get 3 at some point I guess

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

I doubt it OP. But I respect your opinion.

Well, I wouldn't have discovered it if I didn't get the game with my 960. So I can't blame anyone, for not trying this one.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Jerkops posted:

Why did you think they were bad, I didn't like them either but maybe for different reasons. Combat bored the poo poo out of me, didn't like how the game made you run through the same zone over and over, and I hated the inventory management bullshit especially in 2 where you needed alchemy to win tough fights. Struggling with the laggy console UI to clear enough space so I can pick a flower just set me off the game completely, maybe that was just me obsessively picking up everything I could find though

really gonna have to get 3 at some point I guess

The writing is whack, there's lots of places where it raelly feels written by polish fucktards, the combat in the first game is horrible and the combat in the 2nd one is pretty bad also. Things like doing random attack animations that have really different properties so maybe you're keeping a group of enemies in hit stun (with the whirl talent) andthen ssuddenly geralt starts doing a slow vertical atack and they all get out of hit stun and murk you. It's so bad. Not being able to predict what's going to happen when you press the button is a huge action game fail. Yeah the inventory and looting was a pain in the rear end.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The outskirts zone or whatever in witcher 1 is so awful, you have to run around this fairly big zone with nothing in it except a million herbs to loot. Kills the game for me every time.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Bunch of segments in 2 that also suck like any time you don't control geralt and you can't roll or use signs but you're still limited by geralt's talents, like you can't riposte unles you got that talent. So stupid.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

so 3 fixes all that? what did 3 do right that the other ones hosed up

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

and what are your complaints about 3 if any

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Jerkops posted:

so 3 fixes all that? what did 3 do right that the other ones hosed up

3 is better in every way except inventory management. They improved it in the latest patch though, added a stash and removed weight from consumables and crafting ingredients. I haven't really had much problems since inventory stuff since this patch even though I loot everything. Combat is improved, you have a dodge and roll now and they both have i-frames, which gives you more control in combat, and moves aren't like crazy different depending on distance and randomness. It's still a little janky and not as good as a proper action game. The WItcher Sense thing doesn't have a cooldown any more. There's cool investigation sequences and the writing in general is a lot better. It's a pretty good Open World with lots of stuff going on. Much more interesting world than other open world games imo. And better quests too.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
And it looks really good.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
And it makes things that should have been baseline in the previous games, baseline, like you can riposte without buying a talent. And riposte isn't an automatic super damage thing it just staggers the enemy so you can get a couple hits in. And you can ride around on your horse and cleave bandits in twain with a single sword strike which feels really good even if being on your horse is really OP vs human enemies.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
And instead of the previous crappy minigames it has a new collectible card game, Gwent, which is simple but kinda fun, and fistfights just use the regular combat system instead of being a crappy qte. And you can walk up to NPCs and press the attack button and geralt will raise his fist like he's gonna punch em and they'll cower in fear.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

post a pic of your geralt's haircut

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Realism.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Jerkops posted:

post a pic of your geralt's haircut

I just use the default one.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
There's some weird bugs and glitches, like dying instantly from falling from short heights (this only happens once in a blue moon since the patch) and one time I was gonna jump on the boat but geralt did the diving animation like I wa jumping into water and he liked dived onto the boat. It was funny.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Controlling the horse kinda sucks she keeps stopping randomly and crap. rear end!

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for answering my dumb questions that I could have googled OP, i watched a few gameplay videos but didn't want to spoil too much. gonna pick it up when there's a good deal on it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Bitcher: Wild oval office.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is lots of fun and I like hunting monster contracts.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i want to yank geralt's ponytail like i'm in a tug of war

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i would put one foot on each of his shoulderblades and push with my knees until something tore

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ragg posted:

Well this is a followup to my earlier thread about this game which ended in disaster. Maybe people can control their jackassery for this one. I don't blame anyone who doesn't believe this because they played the first two games, which are bad. But this one is good. Poland has finally learned to make good games what with Ronin and this one. Thanks for reading.

The Poles have actually been making good games for over a decade: see Painkiller and Bulletstorm for details.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's got a lot of polish :D

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Bitcher: Wild oval office.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
agreed, op. there are a lot of quests that were fun as far as their self contained story goes. the combat is still easy, but i prefer that to it being bad. i hear that bumping up the difficulty helps a lot.

did you do the lighthouse quest yet? that entire area was really fun. what about the quest where you trip with some vikings in a cave? that was fun, especially because it progresses from that first part interestingly.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

Controlling the horse kinda sucks she keeps stopping randomly and crap. rear end!

horses are insanely stupid so it should be cumbersome and bad, for an authentic experience.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Ragg posted:

Can you hack down shirtless peasants from horseback like in mount and blade, the gold standard of hacking down shirtless peasants from horseback?

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Jerkops posted:

Can you hack down shirtless peasants from horseback like in mount and blade, the gold standard of hacking down shirtless peasants from horseback?

you cant hurt peasants you sick gently caress

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

OP didn't mention this but the digital t&a is improved as well great game all around

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

hubris.height posted:

agreed, op. there are a lot of quests that were fun as far as their self contained story goes. the combat is still easy, but i prefer that to it being bad. i hear that bumping up the difficulty helps a lot.

did you do the lighthouse quest yet? that entire area was really fun. what about the quest where you trip with some vikings in a cave? that was fun, especially because it progresses from that first part interestingly.

I didnt do those yet.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

SM64Guy posted:

you cant hurt peasants you sick gently caress

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

mysterious loyall X posted:

horses are insanely stupid so it should be cumbersome and bad, for an authentic experience.

Didn't know your mom was the human girl in the you are a human girl yet you are giving birth to a horse, manga panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
You can however, hack down shirt-wearing bandits, from horseback.

• Locked thread