Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the ending to diebuster is probably the best ending i've ever seen in an anime. its perfect in every way. it's the perfect connection to gunbuster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

the ending to diebuster is probably the best ending i've ever seen in an anime. its perfect in every way. it's the perfect connection to gunbuster

Yah i like that it also ends with an ambiguous distance instead of just rushing into having them cameo at the end.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think the ending is real good, it involves gunbuster but it uses it to close off the ideas diebuster has built up very well. sure, it's the same literal event as the ending to gunbuster, but the significance of this event is different in a way that's meaningful to what diebuster was doing

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I also like that the final episode plays around with time and framing a lot, there are many cuts both forward and backward fleshing out parts of their relationship.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i cried the first time i saw the diebuster ending, it's perfect

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anyway, i'm going to go watch the episodes, instead of posting about them

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i think the ending is real good, it involves gunbuster but it uses it to close off the ideas diebuster has built up very well. sure, it's the same literal event as the ending to gunbuster, but the significance of this event is different in a way that's meaningful to what diebuster was doing

Yeah basically this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also the final development of the bird symbology which I'll wrote a bigger thing about when im home.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the moment at the start of 5 where you get the noriko name drop in complete is good

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

the moment at the start of 5 where you get the noriko name drop in complete is good

Yeah, I was sure that's who she meant but actually hearing her say it was magical. Great scene.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I just finished, and I absolutely loved the ending. I loved the whole drat thing.

And by that I mean both Gunbuster and Diebuster. I can't tell you which one I liked better because, even though the two OVAs have a 16-year separation in animation and a 12,000-year separation in characters, I don't think I can consider them separately now that I've seen both. I bet it's because I just saw Gunbuster for the first time last week.

In any case, it feels like one grand story to me. The whole soundtrack was notably fantastic. I am probably in the honeymoon phase with this anime and will be able to nitpick stuff later, but right now I have no complaints, it double inazuma kicked me in the heart.

:krad:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I forgedlt how heartbreaking the scene where lalc resolves to de with Nono so she never had to be alone again and is instead rejected was though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
nono making all those paper cranes for Lal C :cry:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Now that's some good anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i love the Detective Lal'c look

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 5 is basically an inversion of Nono and Lal'c's relationship dynamic: Nono is now powerful and special while Lal'c has become powerless. The entire episode deals with her frustrations about her own powerlessness and the distance and jealousy she now feels towards Nono. It also reinforces an ongoing theme I've mentioned before: The topless have nothing without their powers. Tycho was the first to overcome this in episode 3 when she let go of the past, Nicola did not overcome it which led to his actions in the episode (while I do think that scene could have been done without the sexual assault and I have no intention to defend it I do understand what they were trying to do with it) and he ultimately became vitter and jaded, and Lal'c was able to overcome it at the end of the episode due to her friendship with Nono. Nono then unfortunately left, whuch leads into episode 6.

In episode 6 Lal'c has yet again regressed back to her earlier self due to Nono leaving and her new title as "The mover of planets". It's interesting that both Kasumi and Lal'c said that history would come to judge them (or something to that effect), but Kasumi is seen as in the right while Lal'c is seen as in the wrong. At the end when Nono finally returns she too is ineffectual at first, and it is only through them overcoming their mutual jealousy and pride and standing together as equals that they can finally achieve victory.

I really like the ending. It fits thematically into Nono and Lal'c's story and gives greater context to Gunbuster's ending. I also found it really cute that Lal'c used Nono's catchphrase in the final scene.

To the person wondering why the buster machines are named after french numbers: Although it being french specifically has no meaning, the change from normal numbers to french indicates that they stopped using degeneracy generators and instead used topless, Which is why why Nono is number seven instead of sept and Dix-Neuf became number 19 once he reaquired a degeneracy generator.

A final note about the music: Diebuster's music has quite a few nods to the music of Gunbuster. The most obvious example being the military march returning, but there were a few more subtle ones too. Noriko's theme is a leitmotif in all of the tracks associated with Nono, and the song that plays during the ending is a reimagining of the song that plays during Gunbuster's ending.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gun and Die are both great, and I have to agree that it's difficult to consider them separately now that I've seen them both. Stylistically, they're of course very different, but there's some great thematic similarities (as well as the call backs, of course). Both are heavily about determination and friendship, but Gun more the former and Die more the latter. I'm terrible at talking about these things in a way that makes sense, but I really feel that Diebuster takes ideas that were present in Gunbuster and brings them to completion. It's very much a sequel, just with new Gainax sensibilities.

I adore how the ending to both is the same scene, but it has very different meanings, both to the characters whose perspectives we see it from and to the audience fresh off the experience of each.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Lal'C ended up great, or rather, her journey was great. Nono was a ton of fun, but Lal'C is easily my favorite character from either 'buster.

Now to convince friends that I know would love this that they need to watch them. I will get in a rewatch at the same time, so it's win-win.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The sexual assault bothered me a lot less the second time so I ended up really liking the last two episodes. The first time I watched A Clockwork Orange I had a similar reaction (and it's one of my favorite movies now) but probably more so with Diebuster because honestly it was probably the last thing I would've guessed could happen in this anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the kaiju scream :woop:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The sexual assault bothered me a lot less the second time

In the Endorph voice: :catstare:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I read the assault scene as a continuation of the idea that one can eat a long-living Topless to retain one's Topless abilities for longer, but yeah, it didn't need to be sexual.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Diebuster: still good
i'm really glad some non-mech posters watched as well as people who just hadn't seen either buster

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i cried the first time i saw the diebuster ending, it's perfect

Not gonna lie, this just happened for me too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It kinda peaked at 4 for me tbh. Last two episodes I had that "ehhhh ready for this to be over now" feeling.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm crying

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

Episode 5 is basically an inversion of Nono and Lal'c's relationship dynamic: Nono is now powerful and special while Lal'c has become powerless. The entire episode deals with her frustrations about her own powerlessness and the distance and jealousy she now feels towards Nono. It also reinforces an ongoing theme I've mentioned before: The topless have nothing without their powers. Tycho was the first to overcome this in episode 3 when she let go of the past, Nicola did not overcome it which led to his actions in the episode (while I do think that scene could have been done without the sexual assault and I have no intention to defend it I do understand what they were trying to do with it) and he ultimately became vitter and jaded, and Lal'c was able to overcome it at the end of the episode due to her friendship with Nono. Nono then unfortunately left, whuch leads into episode 6.

In episode 6 Lal'c has yet again regressed back to her earlier self due to Nono leaving and her new title as "The mover of planets". It's interesting that both Kasumi and Lal'c said that history would come to judge them (or something to that effect), but Kasumi is seen as in the right while Lal'c is seen as in the wrong. At the end when Nono finally returns she too is ineffectual at first, and it is only through them overcoming their mutual jealousy and pride and standing together as equals that they can finally achieve victory.

I really like the ending. It fits thematically into Nono and Lal'c's story and gives greater context to Gunbuster's ending. I also found it really cute that Lal'c used Nono's catchphrase in the final scene.

To the person wondering why the buster machines are named after french numbers: Although it being french specifically has no meaning, the change from normal numbers to french indicates that they stopped using degeneracy generators and instead used topless, Which is why why Nono is number seven instead of sept and Dix-Neuf became number 19 once he reaquired a degeneracy generator.

A final note about the music: Diebuster's music has quite a few nods to the music of Gunbuster. The most obvious example being the military march returning, but there were a few more subtle ones too. Noriko's theme is a leitmotif in all of the tracks associated with Nono, and the song that plays during the ending is a reimagining of the song that plays during Gunbuster's ending.

I'd say Lal'c in six hasn't really regressed. She's showing coldness to the military bureaucracy that is actively isolating her from her friends and idolizing her simultaneously. She feels abandoned by Nono but is also tightly holding on to her memories of her, (DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR!!") and is actively seeking new information about her. She's showing more warmth and kindness to her Topless colleagues and the first military commander that seems to treat her with humanity and care. When she is smashing giant Nono she's not trying to brutalize her friend out of jealousy, she wants to break her out of her shell and have her talk back, trying to appeal to her emotions directly. it just doesn't succeed until she's able to speak to her with a clearer head. It's still a direct reversal of their roles though, Lal'c has to get a closed off Nono to acknowledge and respect her.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I'd say Lal'c in six hasn't really regressed. She's showing coldness to the military bureaucracy that is actively isolating her from her friends and idolizing her simultaneously. She feels abandoned by Nono but is also tightly holding on to her memories of her, (DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR!!") and is actively seeking new information about her. She's showing more warmth and kindness to her Topless colleagues and the first military commander that seems to treat her with humanity and care. When she is smashing giant Nono she's not trying to brutalize her friend out of jealousy, she wants to break her out of her shell and have her talk back, trying to appeal to her emotions directly. it just doesn't succeed until she's able to speak to her with a clearer head. It's still a direct reversal of their roles though, Lal'c has to get a closed off Nono to acknowledge and respect her.

Yeah, regressed might be a strong word, but her saying things like "I'm the mover of planets" reminds me of her pride in being the curve wrecker early on in the show.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Droyer posted:

Yeah, regressed might be a strong word, but her saying things like "I'm the mover of planets" reminds me of her pride in being the curve wrecker early on in the show.

It is a reminder of her former pride, but it seems like Lal'C isn't actually proud to be "mover of planets." She seems jaded, cynical, almost self-depricating whenever she claims that title because her power and accomplishment means far less to her now than the loss of her friend does.

At least that's just how I interpreted it, but I found it moving.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I think of other things that are comparable to the way Diebuster is a sequel, Earthbound/Mother 2 and Mother 3 immediately spring to my mind. Much like Diebuster, Mother 3 was made quite some time after its predecessor, and has a pretty different focus in its storytelling. And the way it ties back in to Earthbound at the end? Sorta reminds me of the way Diebuster handles that with Gunbuster.

I wish there were more sequels like that.

Even the sorts of sequels that take similar risks can wank about a bit too much with its canon, and it just creates a harsh blow that's tough to recover from. Diebuster gets it just right. There are reminders of what happened in Gunbuster but the show isn't taken over by it; in these last two episodes the show avoids being a retread of Gunbuster's finale despite making you think that's where it's going (Easiest example: Nono refusing the suicide mission. Compare that to how she refuses the duel in episode 3!).

A weaker writer probably would have decided that Nono needs to meet Noriko, or at the bare minimum we should see Noriko on screen. I'm real glad that wasn't the case since it would do a disservice to both of the 'Busters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also while it's certainly a common enough idea, the device on the topless that restricted their powers was a concept that was reused in Captain Earth, also written by Enokido. And in both cases they tie in to adolescence ideals.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also in thinking of other things Enokido has written and their reoccurring elements, it occurs to me that he likes dark skinned ladies :greencube:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

them not showing noriko at the end was genius. if they had some sappy ending showing noriko on earth it would have been so cheesy and dumb i would have beat up every person involved in the series. the feeling you get as you realize it's the final scene from gunbuster and then the two red lights in the sky...makes me cry every time

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Srice posted:

Also in thinking of other things Enokido has written and their reoccurring elements, it occurs to me that he likes dark skinned ladies :greencube:

the man has good taste.

Budget Prefuse posted:

them not showing noriko at the end was genius. if they had some sappy ending showing noriko on earth it would have been so cheesy and dumb i would have beat up every person involved in the series. the feeling you get as you realize it's the final scene from gunbuster and then the two red lights in the sky...makes me cry every time

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

I just finished, and I absolutely loved the ending. I loved the whole drat thing.

And by that I mean both Gunbuster and Diebuster. I can't tell you which one I liked better because, even though the two OVAs have a 16-year separation in animation and a 12,000-year separation in characters, I don't think I can consider them separately now that I've seen both. I bet it's because I just saw Gunbuster for the first time last week.

In any case, it feels like one grand story to me. The whole soundtrack was notably fantastic. I am probably in the honeymoon phase with this anime and will be able to nitpick stuff later, but right now I have no complaints, it double inazuma kicked me in the heart.

:krad:

I pretty much agree with this also.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

instead of a big smartly worded post heres this

nono identifies with birds because she sees herself as one in a bunch of ways: for the specific last bird of mars she draws reference to the idea that from her very creation she was isolated as the final line of defense against the enemies of earth, she considers her time spent in isolation frozen in a comet an egg she was hatched from, naked and blind except for the still remaining subconscious idea that she should be a hero. that situation in particular probably created her strongest driving motivations, a combination fear of both loneliness and being unloved.

what those fears create in her as a conflict of character, she is driven by her programming to protect the people, but more importantly her isolation has driven a need for companionship into her, she wants to be able to fly and live freely with other humans, a flock of her own.

to nono birds represent this unattainable ideal, that she might just be able to live naturally and peacefully with others and lal'c in particular. even more than her fear of loneliness she wants to be loved by others, if a buster machine is what she needs to be respected, she'll go the end of the solar system for it. her ultimate dream, that she shares with lal'c as a story told in the center of a spatial anomaly, is to live a simple life at home.

the real tragedy of the series is that even nono realizes all the birds, and by extension her dream, is out of reach, she doesn't have the wings to make it reality. even though she could ideally could never be alone again, trapped out of time with Lal'c forever she knows that the situation would be wrong, knows that love could fade in such impossible conditions. her fear of losing that love overcomes her fear of being alone and in her last act of bravery she boots Lal'c out to give her a chance of her own and closes the anomaly behind her, permanently. Her last act of kindness, (or cruelty from the perspective of the viewer) is giving lal'c a small window into what this impossible life with the birds would be like, together.

birds mean a lot of things to nono and diebuster together because of how pervasive a motif they are, it's a series about the importance of that friendship and companionship and reaching for what you can't do and that attempt to overcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

theres also something interesting about the way it constantly increases the scale of the action while simultaneously downplaying its screentime in favor of a focus on the characters.

theres a progression from fighting a single space monster to using the entire earth as a kinetic battering ram, but in terms of actual focus the space monster beatdown had the most effort put into its production, being a really fluid yoshinari joint from end to end. instead they spent a lot of work animating subtleties in character animation you usually don't see, one of my favorites is the entire unlocking scene.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 1, 2015

• Locked thread