Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

theres also something interesting about the way it constantly increases the scale of the action while simultaneously downplaying its screentime in favor of a focus on the characters.

theres a progression from fighting a single space monster to using the entire earth as a kinetic battering ram, but in terms of actual focus the space monster beatdown had the most effort put into its production, being a really fluid yoshinari joint from end to end. instead they spent a lot of work animating subtleties in character animation you usually don't see, one of my favorites is how lal'c is trembling when she's telling nono they'll become stars together.

The attention to detail for the character expressions is probably one of my favorite things in the series. Just the little things, like Lal'c hugging the pillow for instance, communicate so much about what's going on in each character's head.

Unrelated, but the egg imagery of the comet seems so obvious looking back I'm kinda frustrated at not noticing it beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now here's a can for ya: did they HAVE to kill nono?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nono's not dead, she's inside an anomaly that's been moved somewhere else in the universe, so Aim for the Top 3 is going to end with her landing back on earth someday in the future.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aim for the top 3 is actually about noriko trying to adjust to an earth 12000 years in the future, slowly descending into a spiral of despair as she is unable to reconcile with the fact that everyone but one person she ever knew and loved is dust in the wind and forgotten, and she is deified by a planet who has advanced so far beyond her. She gets heavily into drinking her sorrows away as she knows nobody really needs a washed up, obsolete buster machine pilot anymore.

She begins working as an office lady and dyes her hair light brown. She travels around to various food and drink establishments alone, enjoying her last sanctuary. And so, wakako-zake 2 begins

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't want that to be the plot to Nutbuster

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I added a happier end just for you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really have anything to say about episode 5 and 6 that hasn't already been said, so

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Didn't get to watch it last night due to reasons. Show is so good. Thanks Srice.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

A neat detail I just remembered: When Nono awakened in Ep.4 two curved blades sprouted from the star in her pupils, making them now look like the emblem of the space fleet in Gunbuster.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Yeah the transforming pupils were cool.

Sharkopath, I enjoyed your analysis of all the bird symbolism, that's a nice layer of depth and makes all of those paper cranes that Nono tried to make even more meaningful.

I've had Groovin' Magic stuck in my head all day, and that's not a bad thing.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Did anyone else notice that Dix-Neuf only goes into lovely 3D mode when Lar'c isn't using her Topless powers/doesn't have a degeneracy reactor?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mentat Radnor posted:

I've had Groovin' Magic stuck in my head all day, and that's not a bad thing.

Both the Gunbuster and Diebuster OSTs are available on US iTunes, if that helps anyone.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Diebuster is insanely good. I think I like it more than Gunbuster, now, but both are really great anime! I also really like the cool posts everyone made about them!

Watching the series with the star symbolism in mind made it so much cooler, it made the fact they fight a black hole at the end way more significant. I'm not really sure how else to put it because it's still going through my mind right now and I'm still really excited because I watched a really good anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thank you Srice for making this all possible!!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Midjack posted:

Both the Gunbuster and Diebuster OSTs are available on US iTunes, if that helps anyone.

Neat!

GorfZaplen posted:

Thank you Srice for making this all possible!!

:agreed:

Today I realized that I have only seen FLCL poorly fansubbed on VHS on a tube TV in 2003. I'm rewatching it now in 1080 with much better subs and it's mindblowingly pretty. Diebuster's animation is such a nice mid-way-point between FLCL and TTGL.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

In Training posted:

(from the screenshot thread)

After the Diebuster simulwatch im going to host a Haruhi simulwatch because it seems a lot of people in this forum have lost respect for an all time great..

This is a great idea, but which order is best for S1&2 together?

I've only watched them through separately with S1 always in broadcaster order (best first episode and climax episode placement and such). But I'll defer to people who've watched both seasons through a few times.

As for Endless Eight, it would add to the appreciation of the movie, but probably generate dissent. Maybe best to have the bulk of E8 separate and voluntary from whatever official simulwatch calendar you come up with. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A Haruhi simulwatch without endless eight has no point or merit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kudos to everyone who participated. Lots of great words typed up in here, about the -Busters and it was fun to read it all :toot:

Ferretts posted:

This is a great idea, but which order is best for S1&2 together?

I've only watched them through separately with S1 always in broadcaster order (best first episode and climax episode placement and such). But I'll defer to people who've watched both seasons through a few times.

As for Endless Eight, it would add to the appreciation of the movie, but probably generate dissent. Maybe best to have the bulk of E8 separate and voluntary from whatever official simulwatch calendar you come up with. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Broadcast order or bust, imo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

A Haruhi simulwatch without endless eight has no point or merit.

Srice posted:

Broadcast order or bust, imo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Broadcast order + Endless Eight over the course of 2 months, obviously.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the show, another successful project from Srice. Thank you !!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I was just about to start watching Haruhi so I'm happy to hear a simul is coming up. Thanks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the show, another successful project from Srice. Thank you !!

It has been fun and it also lets me get around to stuff I want to watch or rewatch, so everyone wins!

Sometime later this year I want to do an Eva simulwatch, because I'm definitely going to be rewatching it once the blu-rays come out and it would be great to have a lot of people rewatch it at the same time.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Thank you Srice, I didn't post much about it but it was good motivation to rewatch stuff

Eva simul would be good with the BRs

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

It has been fun and it also lets me get around to stuff I want to watch or rewatch, so everyone wins!

Sometime later this year I want to do an Eva simulwatch, because I'm definitely going to be rewatching it once the blu-rays come out and it would be great to have a lot of people rewatch it at the same time.

I haven't rewatched Eva in over a decade, and it'd be great to do so with friends.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'd love to watch end of eva with goons.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

Hell yeah! I really hope we hear something on a U.S. release at some point...

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Srice posted:

Sounds great, I'll join you all for that. I haven't seen Eva since 2002, and that was awful divx compressed quality. BD quality should be a treat.

To my shame, I haven't seen any of the rebuild movies yet. Considering Eva is one of the series that intoduced me to anime, I should fix that. Would the simul just be the original series plus End?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

Sounds great, I'll join you all for that. I haven't seen Eva since 2002, and that was awful divx compressed quality. BD quality should be a treat.

To my shame, I haven't seen any of the rebuild movies yet. Considering Eva is one of the series that intoduced me to anime, I should fix that. Would the simul just be the original series plus End?

I'd definitely be down for making the Rebuilds part of the simul too, after the series + EoE.

I really hope those blu-rays get licensed but I'm sure it's gonna be a slow as hell process. The show itself is still in licensing limbo and out of print even though it would make everyone involved a nice chunk of cash.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Agh, I marathoned Haruhi today. Did not see In Training's post.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynx26LJ1YC4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EoE is so loving good, I want to watch it now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

When are the Eva blurays supposed to be out?

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

EoE is so loving good, I want to watch it now.

I watched this AMV probably 20 times before I first saw EoE way back when (uh, spoilers?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzP-shhaHw

I was so unbelievably pumped to see it by the time I eventually watched it I can't even describe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

End of the month, though it will take a decent amount of time for someone to get them encoded and such. I figure that as long as the series is in license limbo, I'll just wait until someone encodes the full series + EoE before starting up a simul.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

August 25 in Japan, last I checked.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CuLT posted:

I watched this AMV probably 20 times before I first saw EoE way back when (uh, spoilers?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzP-shhaHw

I was so unbelievably pumped to see it by the time I eventually watched it I can't even describe.

Goddamn, I remember that song. I remember the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

CuLT posted:

[Komm Susser Tod]

About ten years ago I burned this gem onto a mixed tape for my mom (in my ongoing effort to push stuff other than Cher).

Fast forward one car ride when the tape is playing on her iPod but skips that track as if deleted.

My mind begins processing why the best loving song I had to offer would be dropped... and then thinking of the tremendous regret she'd carried for years since leaving my dad, I played the lyrics back in my head.:gonk:

I received my Son-Of-The-Year award that December.

• Locked thread