Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

sweetness and lightning is fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Does Aishiteru Ze Baby count if the MC is still a high school student? I remember enjoying the anime version way back when.

I think it counts and is good. The manga's solid too, and continues a ways beyond where the anime leaves off, though the anime ending works pretty well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

Does Aishiteru Ze Baby count if the MC is still a high school student? I remember enjoying the anime version way back when.

I decided to track down the anime of that recently and it was more difficult than I'm used to nowadays, I got there in the end though. The manga has been in my backlog for a while too.
As well as being good I seem to remember the MC getting together with his girlfriend surprisingly quickly for anime too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Sorry, Sweetness and Lightning dad has dethroned Yotsuba dad as top tier manga dad.

TBH I like Sweetness & Lightning better than Yotsuba; I have read a good chunk but never could quite get into it like other people seem to.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

The manga has been in my backlog for a while too.

Same; I've had it bookmarked forever but haven't made time to read it yet.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

TBH I like Sweetness & Lightning better than Yotsuba; I have read a good chunk but never could quite get into it like other people seem to.
it's true. the dad is cooler, the daughter is cuter and the teenager that hangs out with them is funnier. sweetness & lightning ftw

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I'm gonna fall into a diabetic coma after I finish reading Gakuen Babysitters, jesus.

edit: Or I'll dehydrate.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 21, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the father and son dad is better because he has way more of a personality

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Where's Lone Wolf and Cub

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Smoking Crow posted:

Where's Lone Wolf and Cub

Holy poo poo can't believe I forgot a classic like that!

One of the first manga volumes I ever bought was Lone Wolf and Cub but I still don't have the whole run.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Single dads are the future. Even light novels are getting into it. https://natsutl.wordpress.com/projects/novel-tl/uchi-nara/

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007
I'm just after reading Oyaji, that was a real nice short read. I found it emotional, but real men don't show emotions! {my theory on the ending)I think he left at the end to go die in piece without upsetting his family

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Does Naruto count? It's about systematically -bad- dads but there sure are a lot of them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Sweetness and Lightning
Having lost his wife, math teacher Kouhei Inuzuka is doing his best to raise his young daughter Tsumugi as a single father. He's pretty bad at cooking and doesn't have a huge appetite to begin with, but chance brings his little family and one of his students, Kotori Iida, together for homemade adventures. With those three cooks in the kitchen, it's no wonder this dinner table drama is so delicious.

Ok, this is just weaponized cute. Even convinced me to get a crunchyroll sub.

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Badass dads you said?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

maybeflan posted:

Might be remembering this wrong, but I thought she wasn't the grandfather's child but just adopted? Still doesn't make it any better though.

Usagi Drop was the weird, weird as gently caress Japanese thing where a girl taken in by a much, much older father figure feels the need to stay by his side forever to "pay him back" for caring for her as a child. Doesn't matter if its blood or not, its a creepy as gently caress mentality that shows up in quite a few things.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

chumbler posted:

Sorry, Sweetness and Lightning dad has dethroned Yotsuba dad as top tier manga dad.

I find this highly unlikely, but am off to go read it myself to find out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Single dads are the future. Even light novels are getting into it. https://natsutl.wordpress.com/projects/novel-tl/uchi-nara/

“Because Latina is too cute, I don’t want to go to work.”

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

z0glin Warchief posted:

I find this highly unlikely, but am off to go read it myself to find out.

Trip report: Sweet and Lightning is good but it's not as funny or cute as Yotsuba. Maybe if you really like cooking manga?

Result: Yotsuba still #1

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

you want dad manga? here is some loving dad manga

Hanaotoko
Shigeo is a high strung elementary school student living with his mother. His only concern is getting ahead in life by doing well in school. He despises his father Hanao (who is separated from them), who's an idealistic free spirit and a kid at heart, infatuated with the sport of baseball. Shigeo's mother forces Shigeo to take time to visit his father, and so begins Shigeo's lessons that there's more to life than excelling academically (courtesy of his very childish father)

The Night The Stars Falls
Fukumoto one shot about a dad. Jut a regular dad. Not notable in anyway. It's not even 30 pages.

Seb posted:

Badass dads you said?

ohhhhhh nice call g

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Yeah I got some dad manga for you too:

Hotman is quite old but a very classic dad manga.

Kyouko to Tousan is a dad manga where the daughter is all grown up :sniff:

Sen to Man is another dad manga, except this time the daughter is a prickly teenager so it's a lot of them sniping at each other with varying degrees of affection.

Hirameki Hatsume-chan is about a dad, his daughter, and her crazy inventions.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sen to Man is the one I was trying to think of the other day and couldn't remember the title. Sucks it hasn't gotten an update lately :(

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Sen to Man's title always makes me think "Saint Man" -> "Saint Young Men"

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

z0glin Warchief posted:

Hirameki Hatsume-chan is about a dad, his daughter, and her crazy inventions.

Hirameki Hatsume is great. I remember doing a bunch of dopey rewrites of it ages ago. The whole thing is just strange, enjoyable fun and needs way more love. I love the box. It's so... cubic.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

warning: don't try to find of sen to man's author's other work

i finished father and son. really nice manga, its cute how everyone interacts with each other and all those connections start building up. also the tsundere in it probably is the funniest one in years, mainly because of how ineffective she is due to being a toddler (? not sure on their ages)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Leper Residue posted:

I'm gonna fall into a diabetic coma after I finish reading Gakuen Babysitters, jesus.

edit: Or I'll dehydrate.

This is a good manga. I'm sad that updates seem to have stopped, though. :(

For more single dad manga that'll make you cry, My Girl (listed in the OP) is another good bet. It's by the same author of Tetsugaku Letra as well!

e: also if it's okay to include manhwa on the list, The Children's Teacher Mr. Kwon is about a yakuza becoming an elementary school teacher out in the rural countryside. Batoto stopped carrying it, but you can probably find it on kissmanga or other sites.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 22, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gakuen gets regular updates on batoto, but you gotta be quick because anything that isn't like the last 5 chapters gets deleted by copyright lawyers or whatever

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

TheDead1 posted:

I'm just after reading Oyaji, that was a real nice short read. I found it emotional, but real men don't show emotions! {my theory on the ending)I think he left at the end to go die in piece without upsetting his family

Yeah, that what I thought happened as well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nondevor posted:

e: also if it's okay to include manhwa on the list, The Children's Teacher Mr. Kwon is about a yakuza becoming an elementary school teacher out in the rural countryside. Batoto stopped carrying it, but you can probably find it on kissmanga or other sites.

Seemed like it was almost over as of the last update I read but it's been a while since the last one. I'm worried about Mr. Kwon. I think the dog was going to be OK though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Davincie posted:

gakuen gets regular updates on batoto, but you gotta be quick because anything that isn't like the last 5 chapters gets deleted by copyright lawyers or whatever

ugh. I guess I'll just check on kissmanga for all the chapters then, thanks!

Seemed like it was almost over as of the last update I read but it's been a while since the last one. I'm worried about Mr. Kwon. I think the dog was going to be OK though.

Apparently the comic ended on Naver awhile ago, but nobody's gone and translated the rest. Mr. Kwon :smith: and yeah, I hope the dog is okay. Those last couple of chapters were rough.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie
A man comes home one day to have his wife give him divorce papers. A woman comes home to her apartment one day to find a woman she doesn’t know wrapped in a towel coming out of the shower. They both get conned by the same real estate conman on the same house, a 4LDK. So now the man, his two sons, the woman, and her two daughters live in the same house.

I've been reading this and while it's not so saccharine sweet as gakuen or love so life, it's really good. It's nice reading about a family starting together and staying together and what not.

The part I'm at now seems to have dropped the annoying 'love rivals' and is just them being an awesome family and it's really good. Like there is one, but it's so obvious she has no chance that you can't really hate her.

edit: Just caught up to the latest chapter on kissmanga, was totally a good read, and honestly if there weren't anymore updates it'd be a good ending.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 23, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

orange yano ended ages ago so 64 is the final chapter, if you read that, you're done

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Maybe more of a mom manga than a dad manga, but Yoningurashi is pretty good. It's about a cute family of four by the author of Usagi Drop, but without any of the stuff that makes people not want to recommend Usagi Drop. It's finished too!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yome ga Kore na Monde.
A sitcom about an ordinary man and his alien wife.

I'm glad that this man and his sexy alien wife are happy and in love. The kid seems alright too, but isn't really the focus as of yet.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, that was short. On to Ikumen After, then. Dad manga really is great.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
yeah can you post more like the alien one where its a couple and not a single dad

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Not sure if Shirogane no Nina counts as a dad manga. It has the whole worthless freeter put in a position of responsibility for a child thing, but it's more about the kid adapting to Japan and acting cute than anything else.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Which of these single dad manga involve a dad who eventually enters a relationship with a lady, who is preferably not 1. his daughter or 2. a student in his high-school class

(Nothing against a dad who eventually enters a relationship with a man, it's just not what I'm looking for)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I just read through 145 chapters of Hotman, and now I'm kind of pissed that I'm never going to get any resolution to it.