Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh I read this the other day:
Don't Cry, Teacher!

webtoon about a teacher at a nursery school; there's just 4 chapters and it may or may not ever update again so this is probably all of it -- not a lot there but it's a cute quick read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

go read Spy X Family everyone

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new 100 Days

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
New Peerless Dad. This chapter is making me appreciate when anime characters have ridiculous designs, because the guy that appears at the end is the same person who gibbed the pros in the last chapter and I did not realize that until after I finished reading, which made his appearance lose its intended impact.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao I'm not sure I would have even noticed

I'm always looking for more dad manga content so I've been reading this Countless Swords Sorcerer isekai because he picks up two little kids and starts taking care of them. It has some pretty gross worldbuilding elements -- not only are there slaves but there are like...double extra slaves that get treated even worse and that's what the kids are. Since it wasn't really focusing on that I decide to give it a shot but it hasn't done much to redeem itself from that. The villains (and society at large in this world tbh) are cartoonishly sinister and it's spent way more time on how overpowered the hero and this lady who shows up and forces her way into being his servant (for some reason??? this was also very wtf) are, and the kids are mostly just being used as props to be threatened by the plot. I had hoped to find another one similar to Middle-Aged Adventurer but this one ain't it and I don't recommend it.

Something I look for in manga/anime featuring child characters is whether or not the kids are fully realized characters in their own right. Do they have distinctive personalities and their own conflicts to deal with? Not everything that I've read and enjoyed is long enough to completely develop them like that but in general that's something that stands out with the ones I think are top tier. Sometimes it feels like a kid only exists to be cute and move the plot along and I find that offputting and consider it a pretty major flaw; not always a fatal one but it factors into my overall opinion of the story.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 11, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the full title is "The Swordsman Called the Countless Swords Sorcerer". there was no way for something with such an awful title to be good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the full title is "The Swordsman Called the Countless Swords Sorcerer". there was no way for something with such an awful title to be good.

The full title of these are also completely ridiculous so I try not to hold stupid LN titles against them on principle:
I'm a Middle-Aged Man Who Got My Adventurer License Revoked, But I'm Enjoying a Carefree Lifestyle Because I Have an Adorable Daughter Now
My Daughter who Left for the Capital to Become an Adventurer Reached S Rank

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's awkward, overly long titles and then there's stringing together vaguely cool sounding words in a way that doesn't mean anything.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's literally his magic power in the story :v:

He makes swords and slings them around, as his magic. tbh if it was just about this overpowered guy with SWORD MAGIC having adventures it would be fine, it was all the other stuff that made me nope out of it lol

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm always looking for more dad manga content so I've been reading this Countless Swords Sorcerer isekai because he picks up two little kids and starts taking care of them.
On a similar note is The Population of the Frontier Owner Starts at 0. The initial premise sounds skeevy but the main character is very wholesome. The story is still setting things up so there's not much in actual dad content yet.

Also not sure if being a dad requires human children, but I am very fond of A Man and His Cat, the very fluffy story about a lonely old man who gets a cat and dotes on it (official translation out this month!!!)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't read the cat one yet but I really like that author's other story about a vampire who becomes a god so it's probably solid and I wanted to get the official release of it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

New Peerless Dad. This chapter is making me appreciate when anime characters have ridiculous designs, because the guy that appears at the end is the same person who gibbed the pros in the last chapter and I did not realize that until after I finished reading, which made his appearance lose its intended impact.

I actually pegged the guy because unassuming messenger was a very left field event. However it took me until I checked the comments to realize that our Noh's new lady friend is just Jeon. I thought she just wanted to get trained from Noh, so I assume this is all apart of whatever connections she needs before her parents ship her out to a convent.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That was a cute chapter. I'm rooting for Jeon!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Killer and Immortal Target
How do you kill a target that can't die?

Even worse, how can you possibly kill said target if they give you food, clothes and a hot shower?

Will Miss Killer be able to kill the mafia boss Leonard Amaretto? On top of that... will she be willing to, even when the old man asks her to do so after receiving the kindness he dispenses her?

could have potential, first chapter was cute

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of Middle-Aged Adventurer there's a lot of good dadfeels in the most recent update

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The Demon King’s Daughter is Too Kind! Is very, very, very good. Dunno if it fits better here or on the surreal manga thread.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's cute :3:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I just got to watching last season's Ascendance of a Bookworm and there're some great dads there. Well, one actual dad and a bunch of guys who absolutely do NOT have any sort of fatherly feelings for the mc and only care about her for purely PROFESSIONAL reasons and are ONLY willing to carry her around town because she's sick and it's just convenient this way.

Also, two of them are voiced by Takehito Koyasu and Sho Hayami. Somehow I've never imagined Dio Brando as a dad but now I know I need more.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a fun one:

Benjirou of the Attic
After his mother’s death, Kanji goes to live with her side of the family in the countryside. It’s hard enough having to adjust to a new environment, but Kanji can also see monsters and spirits, who are everywhere. To top it off, his eccentric uncle Benjirou—though prone to bouts of sickness—is always up to some shenanigans!

Rather than being looked after by his uncle, Kan has to look after his uncle who is kind of an idiot overly-enthusiastic about investigating the local occult legends. It also might scratch your horror itch a little bit, the third chapter had some genuinely tense and atmospheric moments but overall it seems to be more about Kan learning to accept both his situation of having to relocate to the country and his ability to see spooky stuff (and also keep his uncle from dying). Just one volume so if you don't want to jump on it right now it should be complete before too long.

I am 100% shipping the hot doctor with Benji

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's not really enough of this one to talk about and it may not ever get more chapters translated but...

BUNNY DAD

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 27, 2020

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
All the yes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

hell yeah

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
one to keep an eye out for: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-03-12/manga-creator-shigeyuki-fukumitsu-latest-manga-tackles-fatherhood/.157406

quote:

The first volume of Fukumitsu's Tsuma to Boku no Shōukibona Ikuji (My Wife and My Small Childcare) shows Fukumitsu's foray into fatherhood. Fukumitsu and his wife decided to become parents after his manga artist career took off and was able to support his family. After their first son is born, they are saddened to learn that he has hearing loss in both ears. Currently parents of two sons, the manga shows the family of four and their life together.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I'm actually losing interest in Noh's quest to clean up the underworld of the Dragon Pavilion because I seriously question why he doesn't just talk to any of the master's he knows by this point from within the pavilion about the obvious corruption? Like would the wisdom dragon not take some interest in this? And while I like brother Ak, it's clear he's just here to eventually go over the deep end and drag Noh into further shenanigans.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad the daughter got to do something. She's the most interesting character.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

I'm actually losing interest in Noh's quest to clean up the underworld of the Dragon Pavilion because I seriously question why he doesn't just talk to any of the master's he knows by this point from within the pavilion about the obvious corruption? Like would the wisdom dragon not take some interest in this? And while I like brother Ak, it's clear he's just here to eventually go over the deep end and drag Noh into further shenanigans.

yeah I kinda wish it would just move on to whatever it's been leading up to so we can get past this part. I did like the little glimpses of his pre-fatherhood lifestyle being a rowdy guy hanging with a bunch of other rowdy guys at least.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm just mad the underworld stuff is sidelining the love story.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Peerless Dad does seem to have the problem of starting an arc, but then interrupting the arc with another arc for long periods of time before it goes back to the original arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's based off a web novel or some poo poo and the current arc (and the new character) isn't in the original from what I've read (of the Korean comments, not the original web novel).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ohayou Toka Oyasumi Toka updated for anyone reading that (I'm not but spotted it in the update list :shobon: )

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

seems like a bad idea....

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
a new group picked up Nicoichi and it's getting new chapters after like 5 years.
This is a story about the love and hardships of a 29 year-old guy named Makoto Suda. Makoto is an ordinary office worker in every sense but one: in front of Takashi, his stepchild, he has disguised himself as a woman and played the role of a beautiful mother. While leading this life of a "fatherless family", he falls in love with a woman. One morning he happens to see her on a crowded train, but…

I don't read a lot of crossdressing or genderbend manga so I don't have any real strong opinions on this one since it's a little outside my taste but for its age it seems...relatively non-offensive? I had read part of it years ago and just now skimmed through about a dozen chapters but I'm not that interested in this one so I probably won't keep reading it but wanted to make sure folks knew about it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 18, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i could never get past the idiotic premise. oh no, a child is raised by a single father, what a fuckin' tragedy. better to engage in an elaborate deception so this child never has to face having a father who loves them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that was really hindering me from getting into it as well, along with what the MC being kind of an idiot although his dumbassery didn't seem that out of character for a seinen romcom :shrug: On the other hand I haven't run across many crossdressing parents in manga that the parent isn't treated as a complete joke of a character or used for mean-spirited gags and none of that is happening here in what I read of it so it may hit a niche for somebody.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so as someone who actually read it, does it turn out that he crossdresses because he likes it, with the lovely gender roles stuff being an excuse?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

lol, sounds like somebody made Mrs. Doubtfire the manga.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so as someone who actually read it, does it turn out that he crossdresses because he likes it, with the lovely gender roles stuff being an excuse?

That's what his mom claims and he doesn't dispute it, in the part I read. I don't know how or if it gets addressed in more detail later. My impression was that he does enjoy it (even though it makes his life more complicated and he's concerned about how and when to reveal that he's actually a man to his son and love interest) based on all the extra effort he puts in to be so put-together in lady mode.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new S-Rank Daughter

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
demon mom is updating again, and it looks like there is actually a fight scene for once. i guess we'll see how a mangaka who doesn't seem to have ever published a fight scene before does with this generally fluffy single mom 4-koma. here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
not an update of anything I just love this art

https://twitter.com/_elibaum/status/1259889342442504197?s=20