Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

If the dad isn't technically a dad (Just a semi 'fatherly figure') and in fact, neither human nor technically alive does it qualify as Dad Manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

As long as they're the protagonist there's no reason why lich dad wouldn't be dad manga.

Actually I was thinking Sword Dad (Tensei Shitara Ken deshita) but when I think about it deeper he's only acted like a father to Fran a couple times and might not be the best fit for this thread.

Still a fun manga though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm a bit annoyed with one of the series I read.

The MC has tremendous dad energy. He's an orphan and raised other orphaned kids. He's big, dumb, and lovable as gently caress (And an unimaginably strong badass). He picked up orphaned twins and cares for them as his own. He even supports his 'son' (quotations because it's actually an orphan he raised) when they turn out to be Trans and start wearing dresses and referring to themselves with feminine pronouns. Zero judgement, just acceptance and being totally cool about it. It's endearing and kind and heartwarming.

So why the gently caress did the author just HAVE to give him a 15-year-old wife. Goddamnit if not for that one detail the series would be perfect.

https://mangadex.org/title/fdb14889-59ef-48dd-a883-7558f04c2060/ryoumin-0-nin-start-no-henkyou-ryoushusama

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

Isn't that the one that had the main character take a deliberate stance that you shouldn't buy slaves because it encourages slavers, and then he immediately buys orphan twin slaves from a frog guy
Yes and no. He does buy the twins from a merchant, but they go out of their way to explain that it's not slavery because of a big convoluted explanation involving the twins parents dying and begging the merchant to find them a new family. The money was just because of the expenses the merchant accrued taking care of them until he could find them a new family . It's convoluted as hell and there's a million better ways they could have introduced the twins but whatever, it ends up with him being a super wholesome dad to them.

Basically the author was trying to make the Frog more into a one-time mobile orphanage to try and get all of the characters together, but it ends up feeling really awkward and contrived. The story moves past it pretty quickly though.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 17, 2021

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

that doesn't sound very supportive

He's supportive. He's just also dumb as a brick.

He does get better about it, it just takes him a while. (I don't know if he slips up after this instance, it's the most recent time they interact in the manga)