Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Welcome to Face Off.

Fresh off of winning best reality competition at the Critics Choice Awards, Face Off is… exactly that genre. Face Off is a competition where a group of artists compete in themed artistic challenges by making makeups that you would see in television, film, and other productions.

In its 10th season, Face Off now airs on Wednesdays at 9 EST starting JANUARY 13. SyFy in America, Space in Canada.

The Panel

McKenzie Westmore is the host of Face Off. She’s been in things like Star Trek, where she’s probably worn creature makeup before. She just launched her beauty makeup line cause that poo poo runs in the Westmore’s veins instead of blood.

Glenn Hetrick is a judge, and despite looking perpetually angry, he only really hates steampunk. He’s worked on Buffy, X-Files, Roswell, and CSI, among other things.

Ve Neill is a judge and has a pretty bitchin’ resume. She championed the makeup on the Hunger Games franchise and also worked on Edward Scissorhands, Mrs. Doubtfire, Beetlejuice, Batman and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Neville Page is a judge and more of a concept designer, though he did beat Glenn and Ve in the one and only judges challenge. He’s worked on Prometheus, Avatar, Super 8, Cloverfield and much more.

Michael Westmore is the mentor on Face Off. He comes in during the first day of a challenge and gives the artists advice. It’s probably best to listen to him because he practically owns this industry.

Cast of Season 10 (left to right)

Melissa Ebbe (36)
Job: Business Owner at Feral Works

Anna Cali (31)
Job: SFX Artist/Instructor

Walter Welsh (26)
Job: Freelance Artist

Yvonne Cox (28)
Job: Foam Sculptor
First Canadian? :holy:

Robert Lindsay (45)
Job: SFX Artist

Greg Schrantz (21)

Anthony Canonica Jr (21)
Job: SFX Artist/Wig Ventilator

Mel Licata (26)
Job: Esthetician and Freelance Makeup Artist

Njoroge Karumba (49)
Job: Makeup Artist

Katie Kinney (24)
Job: Freelance Artist/Prosthetics Fabricator

Kaleb Lewis (22)

Jennifer Bowden (36)
Job: Homemaker

Johnny Leftwich (28)
Job: SFX Artist/Actor

Rob Seal (20)
Job: Lab Intern at CMS

Anything else I might have mis-

Shneak fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Are you not hyped? Get some:

There'll be a twist this season called The Gauntlet. No idea what it is but it changes the format.

This season will also have the 100th episode and it sounds like fun

quote:

The contestants are asked to create “whimsical macabre” characters — in the vein of Beetlejuice — for couples who then will be married by host McKenzie Westmore. Westmore was recently ordained, so fantasy crosses over with the honest-to-goodness reality of actual weddings on the show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha, I just thought to myself earlier today "I really should check when the next season of Face Off starts" and lo and behold it's just a few days away.

I've been a huge fan for ages but season 8 really seemed to drag, let's hope season 9 gets some of the old magic back.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Aspiring (beauty)MUA girlfriend and I are big fans of this show. I missed the first three seasons but have watched the rest with her. My favorite thing is how they will in every episode, without fail, describe the process for creating a mold of the headpiece because I literally forget how it's done as soon as the episode is over.

We usually DVR it and watch it the next day during dinner because we like to fast-forward between Mr. Westmore giving advice and the rear end end of Last Looks because it just seems like the same "Will A Tear In My Cowl Send Me Home" stuff every week.

And Laura was the best.

edit: also Glenn was a whole lot younger than I originally thought I could invent several drinking games based on his wardrobe

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i hope missy munster surprises us all. either with rad poo poo or something amazingly bad

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

Missed a few seasons of the show, I want to get back into it. I had no idea a season was starting til it popped up on my facebook today!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
So this is starting now... not sure about Neville's new glasses.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Spongebob the clam :colbert:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I was sort of impressed with a few of the designs. Thank god they didn't eliminate anyone because this challenge did seem a little unfair for the first one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha haaaa, that scared the crap out of them all. Awesome. :haw:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I loled at the vagina clam and the brown thing and the foreskin monsters. a good ol belly laugh. glad face off is back

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
God, that spongebob clam was bad. It looked like painted curtains hanging off someone's flapping arms. And yet it wasn't the worst thing. The silver ant lady did have a nice paintjob but placing her on the shoulders of some dude in a morph suit is so :effort:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
honestly surprised they didn't rip on the winning rock dino's purple robe. I thought the first bug and the rock dino were pretty great and liked that this was a challenge that was more than just humanoid characters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I really like how Neville and Mr Westmore just came out and said "You're loving up, rethink all this because you're missing the point of the challenge" to some of the teams right at the start. Hopefully they keep that up and we can avoid some of the trainwrecks we've seen in previous seasons.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

KungFu Grip posted:

honestly surprised they didn't rip on the winning rock dino's purple robe. I thought the first bug and the rock dino were pretty great and liked that this was a challenge that was more than just humanoid characters.

They never rip on the costumes, except for the times when they do. I've never understood that part of the show.

Welcome back Face Off and your weird season scheduling!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KungFu Grip posted:

i hope missy munster surprises us all. either with rad poo poo or something amazingly bad

Is that the Juggalo reject? I didn't catch her name but holy poo poo. She also has shown only lovely work so far. And for going into tears mode dramatically.

I really hope she's the first to go.

KungFu Grip posted:

I was sort of impressed with a few of the designs. Thank god they didn't eliminate anyone because this challenge did seem a little unfair for the first one.

Yeah, me too, because this challenge was absolutely loving nuts in terms of not just difficulty, but a COMPLETE random grab bag with the partners (it usually is random but people have a little time to get a handle on each other at least).

I'm actually shocked a few came out as good as they did, though there was some poo poo in there, too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 4, 2015

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Blazing Ownager posted:

Is that the Juggalo reject? I didn't catch her name but holy poo poo. She also has shown only lovely work so far. And for going into tears mode dramatically.

I really hope she's the first to go.

Every time she cries about being bullied growing up, I just want to bully her more.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

KungFu Grip posted:

honestly surprised they didn't rip on the winning rock dino's purple robe.

And the robe didn't make any sense, if was an animal with no real way of manipulating cloth, why and how was it wearing a robe? It just seemed like a cheap way to cover up a big mistake, and they got away with it.
Also the creature where you could clearly see the other person failing to swing a bunch of tentacles around was also kinda bad, and the judges just praised it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
You don't want a cabbage in a costume, unless it's a taco-dude or whatever

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Flourescent Bobcat Goldthwait is really annoying me now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I thought a majority of these characters were pretty great. I wish they didn't skip over talking about the blue sea slug and the blue ringed octopus though, I really liked those two. Another thing I liked was all the art for the sirens. Most of the concept design images they showed were amazing and actually got me for a moment excited to see them. That geisha one tricked me the most. Also I feel like Libby is the worst one on the the show, why would she black out the entire head piece when the body wasn't that dark anyway unless you are completely inept at your job.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I was shocked that mantis shrimp geisha made the cut, because it was honestly the shittiest makeup on stage.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I was shocked that mantis shrimp geisha made the cut, because it was honestly the shittiest makeup on stage.

This is one of the few times on Face/Off I've literally been like "WHAT THE gently caress?" at the people they sent home. I kind of understand their picking the bald dude, because he seemed to be kind of obnoxious. But the other guy had an impressive resume and they both had some talent.

Meanwhile, the M. Bison the Neon Juggalo continues onward. There is no justice in that. I really hope she's gone soon because I honestly can't remember a single contestant on the show I want gone so badly; she's a wonderful trifecta of being incredibly whiny and on the verge of tears all the time, absolute poo poo at her work and dare I say it, is utterly obnoxious to even look at. Like.. I can't even think of another person, let alone contestant, where even looking at them is hard to do.

I don't even know why exactly. Lots of people have had bright and eccentric looks, and it never bothes me. A lot of people aren't all that attractive, and that has never bothered me either. But she is like a singularity of poo poo, the worst of everything.

One Swell Foop posted:

Flourescent Bobcat Goldthwait is really annoying me now.

I suspect we might be talking about the same person.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Blazing Ownager posted:

Meanwhile, the M. Bison the Neon Juggalo continues onward. There is no justice in that. I really hope she's gone soon because I honestly can't remember a single contestant on the show I want gone so badly; she's a wonderful trifecta of being incredibly whiny and on the verge of tears all the time, absolute poo poo at her work and dare I say it, is utterly obnoxious to even look at. Like.. I can't even think of another person, let alone contestant, where even looking at them is hard to do.

I don't even know why exactly. Lots of people have had bright and eccentric looks, and it never bothes me. A lot of people aren't all that attractive, and that has never bothered me either. But she is like a singularity of poo poo, the worst of everything.

In terms of "worst contestant since..." I'd have to go back to that one black haired housewife during Anthony's season. The one who got Eric Z. eliminated, and when paired up with Anthony said, "Well, I've got Anthony, I'm set, I don't have to nuthin'!" Autumn? Amber? I can't remember and don't feel like she is worth looking up... but she lasted FOREVER.

As for Missy Munster... She's hard to look at and hard to listen to because she is so loving morbidly obese that it affects her voice. Her voice sounds like she's being strangled by her own fat. It's terrible. And she wears clothes so tight, that I'm pretty sure I saw the exposed bottom shelf of her gut at one point during last night's show. You walk around like that, and then you play the part of the put-upon bullying victim, "a-bloo-bloo, people are so mean to me!" and it's just the perfect concoction of genuine obnoxiousness and loathsomeness.

There have been over the top fashion people on Face Off, poo poo remember when people first saw Eric Fox? Everyone hated on him, but once you got to him, he was fan-loving-tastic. And there's been plenty of heavier people on Face Off, and no one's batted an eye. And honestly, if Missy Munster was an awesome person, we'd get over everything else.

But she's not. She's horrible in every freaking way.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

KungFu Grip posted:

Most of the concept design images they showed were amazing and actually got me for a moment excited to see them. That geisha one tricked me the most.

I agree. I think all of the concepts were pretty unique, especially for some of the fish provided (box fish?) The geisha siren got me the most excited and then it flopped. It's not often that the concept art overshadows the actual makeups.

I think next week is the 100th episode and it would be great to see Missy Munster have a bigger meltdown for it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You know perfectly well they're going to keep Missy for the "we didn't realize until now that you're bad" herd thinning elimination

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Gimme the solo challenges already so I can see who is actually poo poo and who is carrying the teams

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
I didn't really agree with the judging on this challenge, I thought the boxfish and sea slug were stronger looks than they placed at. The Flabellina Nudibranch look was killed by the ugly wig and didn't feel quite finished, and I didn't think there was even a trace of beauty makeup on the cone snail. Did anyone else catch the poor Surgeon fish model nearly putting her eye out on those random boob spikes? Frankly I feel like they kept Missy only because shes a time bomb of drama, but all I see when I look at her and Ben is Frank Oz and Miss Piggy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is one of the few times on Face/Off I've literally been like "WHAT THE gently caress?" at the people they sent home. I kind of understand their picking the bald dude, because he seemed to be kind of obnoxious. But the other guy had an impressive resume and they both had some talent.

Sidney annoyed me at first because he seemed to be a dumb goofus but he grew on me pretty quickly, I was sorry to see him go.

Something about Kevon really annoys me and I can't quite put my finger on it yet. I was disappointed when he won last night.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Sometimes i don't understand the judges, the Snail Siren was very well done, but it was in no way a beauty makeup, and it goes against everything they have previously said about this type of contest. I also don't understand the large fangs so many of the teams put on their sirens, yes it sort of fits in the theme of a siren, but there is not enough time to do it right so they just looked goofy.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
The Man O'War was really weak, but I don't think it was anywhere near bad as the surgeonfish. Or the geisha, which somehow ended up looking like a drag queen. There have been some rough paint jobs so far.

All I can think of when I see the guy who won the first challenge is The Yellow Bastard from Sin City.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Something about Kevon really annoys me and I can't quite put my finger on it yet. I was disappointed when he won last night.

When his makeup was being critiqued on the first episode, he had an expression that looked like he was thinking "You people don't know what the hell you're talking about." It put me right off.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

LabyaMynora posted:

In terms of "worst contestant since..." I'd have to go back to that one black haired housewife during Anthony's season. The one who got Eric Z. eliminated, and when paired up with Anthony said, "Well, I've got Anthony, I'm set, I don't have to nuthin'!" Autumn? Amber? I can't remember and don't feel like she is worth looking up... but she lasted FOREVER.

As for Missy Munster... She's hard to look at and hard to listen to because she is so loving morbidly obese that it affects her voice. Her voice sounds like she's being strangled by her own fat. It's terrible. And she wears clothes so tight, that I'm pretty sure I saw the exposed bottom shelf of her gut at one point during last night's show. You walk around like that, and then you play the part of the put-upon bullying victim, "a-bloo-bloo, people are so mean to me!" and it's just the perfect concoction of genuine obnoxiousness and loathsomeness.

There have been over the top fashion people on Face Off, poo poo remember when people first saw Eric Fox? Everyone hated on him, but once you got to him, he was fan-loving-tastic. And there's been plenty of heavier people on Face Off, and no one's batted an eye. And honestly, if Missy Munster was an awesome person, we'd get over everything else.

But she's not. She's horrible in every freaking way.

Missy Munster is like if Tumblr was somehow a real person.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I'm mad at Missy not because of her weight or appearance but because a guy from my hometown was eliminated and she wasn't :mad:

Optimist with doubt fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 11, 2015

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Just remember, if you gently caress up a challenge like this you don't just go home, you get beaten to death by an angry bride and groom tag-team for ruining what should be the best day of their lives :v:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
This is probably the scariest one. I'd hate to ruin someone's wedding.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Here's hoping missy is eliminated next week.
E: I hope these guys have another ceremony lined up, because I swear with the number of people there to witness, it was, like, two people each?

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 12, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

E: I hope these guys have another ceremony lined up, because I swear with the number of people there to witness, it was, like, two people each?

I can't imagine that would be their only ceremony. It just looked so impersonal.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
That dude with the puffy hair keeps sliding by even though he keeps loving up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noooo, she's the mold whisperer, they need her :ohdear:

• Locked thread