Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
I felt bad for Megan, since she seemed so excited to be a cat, and it was just such a poor choice. Then again she seems excited by most things, such as doors opening.

I was kinda surprised they didn't do a genie style reveal with a poof of smoke or something. My litmus test for the makeups was "If this appeared in front of me in a puff of smoke, what would I think it was", and the winning look only read as sort of demonic to me... Probably because it sat in such a middle ground of lizard/dragon/witch/demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Robert humming Flight of the Valkyries. :stare:

Some weird decisions from that episode. Melissa's foundation makeup looked like trash but got her immunity. Rob's genie didn't look great either and it wasn't even completed but the judges loved it. Prior to the showcase I thought the episode was going to end with them saving him.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
What a boring episode with a boring result. The only part that rather surprised me was Melissa doubling down on the nerdery.

Next week ought to be more interesting, even though as a long time WoW player I know I'll be cringing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I had a feeling they'd rescue Mel like that.

Rob has really grown on me, especially since I realised how much he looks like Chris Griffin from Family Guy. He even sounds a little bit like him at times. :v:

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Shock Dog was one of the funniest make ups I've seen on this show. I don't begrudge the save at all, seemed to be a good use of it.

Mr. Owl posted:

Next week ought to be more interesting, even though as a long time WoW player I know I'll be cringing.

I've not even seen a video of someone playing WoW, let alone played it and I'm sure I'll be cringing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I had a feeling they'd rescue Mel like that.

Rob has really grown on me, especially since I realised how much he looks like Chris Griffin from Family Guy. He even sounds a little bit like him at times. :v:

What amazes me about Rob is he's only 20. Imagine what 10-20 years of experience will do.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, Rob's biggest problem is his lack of experience which feds his lack of confidence. He second guesses himself a lot when in actuality his poo poo looks better than what anyone else usually comes up with so far.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, Rob's biggest problem is his lack of experience which feds his lack of confidence. He second guesses himself a lot when in actuality his poo poo looks better than what anyone else usually comes up with so far.

Especially with tonight, where he was in full panic mode the entire challenge and pretty much described his look as "the worst case scenario," and yet it still looked really good. I did like how the biggest complaint was from the special guest judge who was pissy that it didn't look like the video game character at all.

I swear to god, if I was playing a drinking game using just the phrase "World of Warcraft," I would have been drunk by the first commercial break.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Calling a Walter, Rob and Mel finale unless somehow Melissa pulls something crazy and amazing out of her rear end during the King Kong: Skull Island challenge.

Miz Kriss posted:

Especially with tonight, where he was in full panic mode the entire challenge and pretty much described his look as "the worst case scenario," and yet it still looked really good. I did like how the biggest complaint was from the special guest judge who was pissy that it didn't look like the video game character at all.

Kind of agreed with the guest Judge, but Robs make up and face applications were on point. All it really needed was a nose ring.

That loving goblin that Yvonne made was a travesty but I think the dude from Blizzard kind of hosed her concept up when he directed her to make it more cute and less goblin and it ended up getting poo poo on for not being goblin enough on top of the makeup being dull as hell.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 24, 2016

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Rob deserves the overall win, he's very talented and miles ahead of the others.
Probably gonna get snapped up by one of the judges to work with them if he doesn't get a better job offer.
That said, the Tauren (?) did have a very particular profile with the humped back and he made a generic, if very cool looking, cow-man.

Man, was it wierd hearing WoW repped as a *cool* thing in all seriousness.

AndyElusive posted:

King Kong: Skull Island challenge.

I thought this was a joke. Wow, Face Off is getting subsidized hard by upcoming movies.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This episode threw me off. Yvonne getting a family confessional made me think it was a winner's edit but then at last looks she was suddenly unhappy with her makeup and then went out. Meanwhile Rob hated his for the entire episode and it looked good. Rob's won the most competitions so far and I'm not even sure he can blow it anymore.

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.

Miz Kriss posted:

I swear to god, if I was playing a drinking game using just the phrase "World of Warcraft," I would have been drunk by the first commercial break.

I did, and I was.

All Rob had to do was strap a pillow to the guy's back and pull his shirt down over it and it would have looked way better.

And as far as the nose ring, as a non-WoW-player I'll bet he had no idea Taurens even have nose rings.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Makes me happy/sad that he's so talented and seems like such a kid still. His "I hate it so much" at about ~14 minutes in was so amusing to me. At least his man bun doesn't really seem douchey, which is a feat unto itself.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Quisty posted:

All Rob had to do was strap a pillow to the guy's back and pull his shirt down over it and it would have looked way better.

Yeah, pillow down his shirt and a big rear end wig over that and he would have been done.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Rob's could have won with a little more time/fewer problems, but Walter crushed it pretty well this week.

n3wt posted:

I thought this was a joke. Wow, Face Off is getting subsidized hard by upcoming movies.

On the other hand it is a show basically about the movie production business sooo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Walter's really starting to get comfortable and come out of his shell as well, he was a silent nervous guy for the first few episodes but he's finally found his feet.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Rob has been my top pick, but Walter has been steadily getting better. I'd love to see both of them in the finale.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Face/Off Season 9: Cripple Fight

Seriously, never seen someone limp into the finale with a 50% done makeup.

ED: They better do another all-star season and not a poo poo load of 2-day challenges because I don't know if I can go another season with these lackluster line ups.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Blazing Ownager posted:

Face/Off Season 9: Cripple Fight

Seriously, never seen someone limp into the finale with a 50% done makeup.

ED: They better do another all-star season and not a poo poo load of 2-day challenges because I don't know if I can go another season with these lackluster line ups.

All I saw was this:

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
I really expected them to call out those horrible wings, or the terrible paint job on the lizard... But I saw that elimination coming a way off. I just wish it wasn't so obviously a matter of past performances/whoever is their favorite.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Owl posted:

I really expected them to call out those horrible wings, or the terrible paint job on the lizard... But I saw that elimination coming a way off. I just wish it wasn't so obviously a matter of past performances/whoever is their favorite.

Remember it's the last show before the finale. They are going to point out almost all the positives and hardly any of the negatives.

With that being said.

1. I take back all the bad things I've said about Glenn Hetrick. Dude was on point with his critic this week.
2. That sculpt that Rob did was wonderful, his paint job was meh, but the sculpt, the technical part, was wonderful.
3. Mel should be so loving proud of her work. She continuously put forth a standard that was wonderful.
4. Those loving horrible wings.... Christ.... The wings were bad awful, but the cowl and the facial piece, along with that paint job, were loving amazing. The wings were the worst part. He could have put the creature on stage, minus the wings, and probably won first looks.
5. Melissa has continuously produced some amazing work, week after week. if she wins the whole thing, I would not be surprised. I would be happy to photograph her work and present it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Mel's "best makeup" got her eliminated and Rob's worst got him to the finale. I can't really argue with the overall decision though.

I feel like it'll be Melissa winning, Rob the bridesmaid, and then Walter. Melissa got a family photo confessional in this episode and didn't get eliminated (Yvonne got one and lost in the same episode). Maybe I'm reading into the editing too much.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

When are people going to learn that they never have enough time to do wings. Has anyone ever pulled off open wings successfully?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

Melissa got a family photo confessional in this episode and didn't get eliminated (Yvonne got one and lost in the same episode). Maybe I'm reading into the editing too much.

Nah, I had the same reaction when they showed the photo of her kid. :v:

Factor Mystic posted:

When are people going to learn that they never have enough time to do wings. Has anyone ever pulled off open wings successfully?

Yeah there's been a few that at least had non-terrible wings. Logan's Dragon Archer superhero last year had decent wings because he was smart enough to keep them folded and not try and add working mechanisms or anything dumb

Edit: poo poo, I just did a GIS for '"face off" best makeups' and scrolled through a bunch of makeups from previous seasons, it's loving ridiculous how lovely the makeups have been these last few seasons compared to what they used to come up with.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 1, 2016

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
They're just not giving them enough time to make something stage-worthy with just one person doing all the work.
Is it me or are they doing individual challenges sooner in the competition than before?
You can tell that they're pretty talented but they get 5 hours to come up with a design and sculpt a face then 9 hours for the cowl + extras sculpting + molding + fabrication then 5 hours for finishing, applying and painting. That's an absurd turnaround time if you want a neat design, detailed sculpture, detailed painting and more than just a face.

IIRC it would take experienced makeup artists 2-4 hours to apply + blend the facial appliances on Star Trek for Worf and Garak with everything already designed and fitted. Makeup pallettes already chosen etc...

Shneak posted:

Melissa got a family photo confessional in this episode and didn't get eliminated (Yvonne got one and lost in the same episode). Maybe I'm reading into the editing too much.

Same, I was certain she was leaving from the way they edited it.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Would anyone really mind if they just gave points each week for top/bottom looks and wins and surfaced that to the audience because it's obvious the judges already do that internally based on Rob (deservedly) making the final with his worst make up? I have no issue with taking past work into account when choosing who to eliminate/move forward, but the way it appeared this week seemed really unfair to Mel.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mel needed to pull something great out of her rear end, and she did, but at the end of the day she got Robbed.

Walters Man-Bat really should have been eliminated this week instead of him getting by on essentially brownie points.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just checked the Wikipedia page and found out the finale will be split into two episodes

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Zaius posted:

Would anyone really mind if they just gave points each week for top/bottom looks and wins and surfaced that to the audience because it's obvious the judges already do that internally based on Rob (deservedly) making the final with his worst make up? I have no issue with taking past work into account when choosing who to eliminate/move forward, but the way it appeared this week seemed really unfair to Mel.

The scoring system has always been hosed up.

In the past it's been "Oh well, that's not so bad, I didn't want the good person to go home so a lucky poo poo person could stay," but now everyone is meh.

Seriously upper looks this season would have been struggling to be safe in past. I've never seen such an incomplete makeup limp into the final-3 slot in the show's entire run, though. Not even a good excuse for it (machine breaks, tech problems, etc).

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Whelp, that was a season of Face Off. My favorite part was at the end when it said the next season wouldn't be until 2017.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LabyaMynora posted:

Whelp, that was a season of Face Off.

Yeah when it came time to announce the winner I just didn't care. Whatevs.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I cared because Walter got robbed and the judges were trying to hitch on to a rising star with Rob. What crap.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was a pretty cool finale, but I thought Melissa should have won. Her possessed and demon were legit freaky especially in context of the short movie story.

Anyway it's not like all three wont get hired right away and Rob was the only one I could actually see driving around in a dumb Fiat 500, so ya, whatever.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Thought Melissa would win, wanted Rob to win. His demon was more effective because it wasn't so huge. Its appearance in the short film was genuinely creepy. I'm glad Face Off finally found a finale format by doing these short films. They're amateurish but enjoyable to see in action.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
That guy's laptop summoned a demon... And the pumpkin should have won. I really found it hard to care who did though, so I hope if they wanna keep making this series that they come up with some way to revitalize it.

Or you know, just bring back Jim Henson's Creature workshop challenge.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grem posted:

I cared because Walter got robbed and the judges were trying to hitch on to a rising star with Rob. What crap.

Walter got loving robbed. It was Walter, right? I gave such a little poo poo all season I didn't even remember.

His poo poo looked like it could walk into a movie, and his movie was by far the most competently shot. Rob winning was stupid as gently caress with that crusty-rear end piece of poo poo infected and subpar demon.

Are the ratings falling? These last couple seasons have been horse poo poo. Previous season only gave them 2 days for 80% of the competition and hosed them, this season the work ranged from meh to mehhhh and uugh. Really loving bad season, they better shake up the talent pool and challenges next season.

Get Roy back and hold some crazy rear end fabrication challenges. Let's do another all-stars season drat it. I want to see cool poo poo again!

Mr. Owl posted:

That guy's laptop summoned a demon... And the pumpkin should have won. I really found it hard to care who did though, so I hope if they wanna keep making this series that they come up with some way to revitalize it.

Or you know, just bring back Jim Henson's Creature workshop challenge.

Yep. That was the best short by a mile and one of the season's only really good designs.

Whole season was bullshit though. I could barely remember anyone's name. I feel bad for the show runners; the formula isn't broken, but the talent is awful. I've seen 4 makeups done by a team for the finale and they could barely handle 2 here, with results that would have gotten them knocked out 5 episodes in during the show's prime.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 15, 2016

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Blazing Ownager posted:

Whole season was bullshit though. I could barely remember anyone's name. I feel bad for the show runners; the formula isn't broken, but the talent is awful. I've seen 4 makeups done by a team for the finale and they could barely handle 2 here, with results that would have gotten them knocked out 5 episodes in during the show's prime.

Mostly agree. I was rooting for Walter.

With the name problem.. it didn't help that they had "Mel" & "Melissa" as well as "Robert" & "Rob". I think the difference with them doing less this time around is that they actually had to handle it being on film. They even have to be on standby whenever the director decides they wanna throw more dirt on it- or if Rob's guy decides everything is all wrong fix everything. I wonder if that played a part in his final score somehow.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mr. Owl posted:

just bring back Jim Henson's Creature workshop challenge.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Walter had the best makeup for the finale, but overall Rob was slightly stronger. Not really any duds in the finale for me, and I WAY prefer these little mini-movies they're doing now over like a still life art exhibit or whatever from previous seasons.

I am kind of wondering if they should adjust how much time is given. I get that time management is a huge part of the challenge, but also, maybe they should mix it up and say X hours for sculpting, Y hours for painting. Or something. Not sure. It'd be a better show with better contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I love the concept of the new finale challenge the last 2 seasons. Imagine past contestants like Tate, Conner, Laura, Anthony, Roy, etc... getting to do that. But I've been saying for years that Face Off is running out of talented contestants, especially when they were doing 2 seasons a year. This kind of make-up isn't like Top Chef or tattoo artists, there are far fewer people squirreled across the country doing this kind of thing.

• Locked thread