Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Welcome to Face Off.

Fresh off of winning best reality competition at the Critics Choice Awards, Face Off is… exactly that genre. Face Off is a competition where a group of artists compete in themed artistic challenges by making makeups that you would see in television, film, and other productions.

In its 10th season, Face Off now airs on Wednesdays at 9 EST starting JANUARY 13. SyFy in America, Space in Canada.

The Panel

McKenzie Westmore is the host of Face Off. She’s been in things like Star Trek, where she’s probably worn creature makeup before. She just launched her beauty makeup line cause that poo poo runs in the Westmore’s veins instead of blood.

Glenn Hetrick is a judge, and despite looking perpetually angry, he only really hates steampunk. He’s worked on Buffy, X-Files, Roswell, and CSI, among other things.

Ve Neill is a judge and has a pretty bitchin’ resume. She championed the makeup on the Hunger Games franchise and also worked on Edward Scissorhands, Mrs. Doubtfire, Beetlejuice, Batman and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Neville Page is a judge and more of a concept designer, though he did beat Glenn and Ve in the one and only judges challenge. He’s worked on Prometheus, Avatar, Super 8, Cloverfield and much more.

Michael Westmore is the mentor on Face Off. He comes in during the first day of a challenge and gives the artists advice. It’s probably best to listen to him because he practically owns this industry.

Cast of Season 10 (left to right)

Melissa Ebbe (36)
Job: Business Owner at Feral Works

Anna Cali (31)
Job: SFX Artist/Instructor

Walter Welsh (26)
Job: Freelance Artist

Yvonne Cox (28)
Job: Foam Sculptor
First Canadian? :holy:

Robert Lindsay (45)
Job: SFX Artist

Greg Schrantz (21)

Anthony Canonica Jr (21)
Job: SFX Artist/Wig Ventilator

Mel Licata (26)
Job: Esthetician and Freelance Makeup Artist

Njoroge Karumba (49)
Job: Makeup Artist

Katie Kinney (24)
Job: Freelance Artist/Prosthetics Fabricator

Kaleb Lewis (22)

Jennifer Bowden (36)
Job: Homemaker

Johnny Leftwich (28)
Job: SFX Artist/Actor

Rob Seal (20)
Job: Lab Intern at CMS

Anything else I might have mis-

Shneak fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Are you not hyped? Get some:

There'll be a twist this season called The Gauntlet. No idea what it is but it changes the format.

This season will also have the 100th episode and it sounds like fun

quote:

The contestants are asked to create “whimsical macabre” characters — in the vein of Beetlejuice — for couples who then will be married by host McKenzie Westmore. Westmore was recently ordained, so fantasy crosses over with the honest-to-goodness reality of actual weddings on the show.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
God, that spongebob clam was bad. It looked like painted curtains hanging off someone's flapping arms. And yet it wasn't the worst thing. The silver ant lady did have a nice paintjob but placing her on the shoulders of some dude in a morph suit is so :effort:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

KungFu Grip posted:

Most of the concept design images they showed were amazing and actually got me for a moment excited to see them. That geisha one tricked me the most.

I agree. I think all of the concepts were pretty unique, especially for some of the fish provided (box fish?) The geisha siren got me the most excited and then it flopped. It's not often that the concept art overshadows the actual makeups.

I think next week is the 100th episode and it would be great to see Missy Munster have a bigger meltdown for it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I liked both of the top looks a lot. The cat lady and yarn beast cat were adorable and a good concept considering "we like cats" is the only thing they had to work with. The electric couple looked like they would fit in Beetlejuice. Sucks that the heart prop didn't properly work.

:lol: at Missy Munster's death being prolonged.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Not sure how I feel about focus challenges. It seems like a mix between spotlight and foundation challenges. It's a full costume but they don't actually care about anything but the face. I suppose it forces them to be more careful with their applications and paint, but then we have people like Meg who had zero detail in the facial features and had sloppy prosthetics. I wish Stevie had won because I took her as meek elimination fodder and I didn't expect the scale details carved into the face to work well.

As for Missy Munster, she didn't even get the dignity to be eliminated in the 100th episode.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Missy can't say poo poo about this show shaming her appearance while it has Glenn walking around. Artists looks eccentric, news at 11.

I think that Mayan gatekeeper might be one of my favourite terrible makeups on the show. It looks like somebody crushed the head of a giant snake, mummified it, and it went to a costume party dressed as a 1920s flapper girl.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Jordan always had that deer in headlights look, which is fair. I can't remember him not being in bottom looks.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Coyote Ugly posted:

Last night's episode was an utter train wreck. I can't remember any episode from a past season where all the make-ups looked like utter garbage in my mind.

That seems to be the running theme with "focus challenges" based on the two that we've had. You need to do a good face and that's apparently too much pressure? Honestly, I'm surprised there weren't more that looked like drag queens like Ricky's.

Meg's was nice because it wasn't just male to female. Stevie's I didn't get. I guess it was female enough but the skin tone went from 'ethnic' to bronze loving statue.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I don't get how they like Stevie's paints jobs. This week the faces were too green while the exposed arms were a white skin tone. And last week her bronze skin tone was top looks but they don't like Jasmine's angel.

I like this change of challenge though.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I agree that if they do this again they need to fix the weighting (or at least reveal the numbers on-screen). Going from last to first for simply getting first doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's not simply 1st = 9 points and 9th = 1 point.

Jasmine was definitely a powerhouse. She reminded me a lot of Darla.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

AndyElusive posted:

Most of those concept art images you see before the big reveals on the first and second days aren't drawn by the contestants. :tinfoil:

They have artists behind the scenes that do the concept art for TV. If you notice them initially sketching there are some who can't draw to save their life.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was a fan of a lot of the makeups this week, perhaps because this theme is right up my ally. Definitely the strongest showcase so far though it's not saying much. It's nice to have the breakthrough.

Evan's War is my favourite makeup of the season. I'm so glad that the judges didn't rag on him for not being 100% anatomically accurate.
Nora's Famine was good but she could have matched skin tones more.
Scott's Death was a stellar looking mummy.
Meg's Pestilence was good.
Jordan's War's face sucker didn't really make sense conceptually but it was painted well. At least he got to fabricate!

I'm not getting what Ben did with his chest piece? He said it was a full body makeup but it looked like a vest? I'd say he was the worst but Kevon has justifiably been worse overall.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I liked Evan's? I mean, the concept wasn't great but I didn't mind the execution. I don't know how much more you can make a moon out of a person unless you're not doing it physically. The judges don't seem to like any moon ladies. I'd say Meg deserved to get booted (finally, apparently). Last week was a good place to pull ideas and execution techniques but her gore looked like wax or crystallized.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's Focus Challenge night! Let's see how many disastrous faces we can count.

Tonight's another SyFy synergy theme by promoting some show called The Expanse. Kind of like Defiance back in season five. I have no idea what happened to that show. Interestingly the challenge isn't "make an alien" but instead "make a human that evolved in the wrong natural disaster." Then again, that's wide open for aliens.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Based on that reddit post I don't think Ben's going to make the finale. It would be weird to have a winner not be happy with their work/consider it mediocre. Two people are eliminated tonight and he's been close recently, though he seemed to start the competition well and I considered him a candidate to win.

Evan's edit has picked up since the gauntlet and Nora's got the whole 'conceptual meltdown turned into top looks makeup' going. Jordan's a sleeper who's not bad but hasn't been considered amazing. Scott's the guy with experience and the resume to pull it off.

I'm predicting

1. Evan
2. Nora
3. Scott
4. Jordan
5. Ben

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
You might be right, the scale of the finale was pretty big. I liked the format though because we saw the artist's actually doing their desired jobs instead of just doing the makeups in a studio. Overall I like Nora's aesthetic in her makeups and I'm happy that she won, but I liked Evan's over Ben's. Evan's mutated characters were good but I didn't like the simpleness of the wanderer. I just didn't like Ben's character designs a lot.

Kind of disappointed the 10th season isn't another all-star roundup.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah this show needs to take some serious time off though.

—SEASON 10 AIRING JANUARY 13TH.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
There's a lot of young kids as well.

I've updated the OP with the cast since this thread's still small.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The losing makeup looked like a blob of mercury.

Robert, the German guy, definitely stands out the most so far because he's an actual Nazi mad scientist trope.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm surprised white lady with dreads got eliminated. "Board Game Man" was atrocious starting from the complete lack of concept. The crayon guy was really badly painted but they could have gotten away with a slightly better, textural paint job.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It was the neck because it looked like a wild animal ripped his throat open. Otherwise, crayons are textural, so they could have pitched it like that.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This challenge was cool and produced a majority of good makeups. It seems like a runaway though, Anna and Mel have been in the top looks all three times and Anna has won twice (tonight too, but Yvonne got the credit.)

Giant plastic eyes always look like its from a mask but the neon colours were worse. I'm not a fan of Robert's Mega Man roster either.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Focus challenges are hilarious because they get so panicked about painting and not showing edges that it makes it worse.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Now that's how The Gauntlet should be done. Last season's bizarre ranking system was shifty. Granting immunity in each round makes it more challenging throughout. The last challenge was good, and it produced probably the best makeup of the season so far.

I didn't realize how much I liked this cast until the final four. Kaleb deserved to go but I was worried for the three ladies.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Cavenagh posted:

their hideous real self should have been short fat aging goth trying to log on to livejournal.

Guest judge is Missy Munster.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Robert humming Flight of the Valkyries. :stare:

Some weird decisions from that episode. Melissa's foundation makeup looked like trash but got her immunity. Rob's genie didn't look great either and it wasn't even completed but the judges loved it. Prior to the showcase I thought the episode was going to end with them saving him.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This episode threw me off. Yvonne getting a family confessional made me think it was a winner's edit but then at last looks she was suddenly unhappy with her makeup and then went out. Meanwhile Rob hated his for the entire episode and it looked good. Rob's won the most competitions so far and I'm not even sure he can blow it anymore.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Mel's "best makeup" got her eliminated and Rob's worst got him to the finale. I can't really argue with the overall decision though.

I feel like it'll be Melissa winning, Rob the bridesmaid, and then Walter. Melissa got a family photo confessional in this episode and didn't get eliminated (Yvonne got one and lost in the same episode). Maybe I'm reading into the editing too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Thought Melissa would win, wanted Rob to win. His demon was more effective because it wasn't so huge. Its appearance in the short film was genuinely creepy. I'm glad Face Off finally found a finale format by doing these short films. They're amateurish but enjoyable to see in action.

• Locked thread