Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

that's pretty probe worthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you get probed for 10 seconds every time you post

pram
Jun 10, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you get probed for 10 seconds every time you post

deep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
woah

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no probe button on awful.apk .... Frig

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Does it include a permanent marker so you can draw lettering on all the keycaps, because I really get that urge from this picture

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i guess elite keyboards sells this version of that toupee one too. on my phone but it's white and gray

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se08t0

idk what to get

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what do you want out of your board

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if they are mx switches then new key caps are easy to get and supply huge amounts of pleasure

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

no pingy noise like the code made from the space bar. preferably red/clears as they're quieter. blues are too loud and actuate too easily. i write code and type all day so comfort is a must. right now i use the apple wireless for my rmbp and the comfort curve 2000 or whatever with my desktop machine.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

echinopsis posted:

if they are mx switches then new key caps are easy to get and supply huge amounts of pleasure

i love pleasure

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Note: At check-out, you have your choice of Cherry MX switches in Red, Blue, Brown, Green, Clear, or Black, Gateron switches Black, Red, Brown, Blue, Yellow, or Clear switches as well as your choice of Orange, White, Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green LED backlighting. You also have your choice of case color in either Black, Green, Grey, Silver, Blue, or Red.

white with red backlighting would be fully sick

or are they telling me that i can get a black aluminum kb frame cause holy poo poo that with black or white keys

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes. dont get the gaterons

also i have no experience with topres. but i can tell you, the KUL ES-87 owns

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

i kinda just want a red escape key

and maybe a red enter key that says ignition that would be rad

but all i see is a buncha videogame and comicbook bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive got a bunch of spare red escape keys. probably a different profile than the rest of your keys but i'll give it to you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Slippery Tilde
that'd be awesome but yea i suppose i should do some measuring first

i'm sure there's a keycap wiki someplace if nothing else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php

the OEM or cherry, or normal profile isnt there but the one I had is DSA which is almost certainly lower than what you have. you're still welcome to have one they are cool but are smaller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-UV-Printed-Cherry-MX-Esc-Keycap-Row-4-Size-1x1-/121266274962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3c088292

you can buy them from WASD with whatever you want on them and they sell those on ebay too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I watched "the firm" and tom cruise is on the island. i felt hard core nostalgia. never been to anytrhing like that till my 20s

nostalgia doesnt require actually visiting. idealisng perhsaps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

normal is the middle. SA is this one pram has gotten me into on the left. DSA is on the right. thats what my escape key is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Slippery Tilde
was lookin at those different profiles and now i wanna do a large order

thx for the headsup about WASD's customs i will have my ignition key yet

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
fun fact: IBM's beam spring keyboards from the 70s, in addition to apparently feeling The Best, have a solenoid in them that goes "clack" when you hit a key to make it louder

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK2cnxXauls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that sopunds like a real board

i love blues coz of the way they feel. the overall SPL output is ok but I dont really like the tinny click

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

echinopsis posted:

how much is that metal keybaors the massdrop site requires a login lame and I can't rmeber deets here on my phone

The login is 'ihaveaids@mailinator.com' and the password is 'qwerty'.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the it guy at work bitches and moans whenever we ask for good hardware because he can totally get amazon basic mice for like 2 bucks or whatever

it's not even his money so i don't know why he cares so much

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some people love to save the company money. in most cases, its a good thing

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

some people love to save the company money. in most cases, its a good thing

no its not

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

is there an ergonomic kb with mechanical keys or does such a thing not exist

just going to tell work to get me a ms natural 4000

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kinesis

pram
Jun 10, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yes it's called ergodox

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

matias makes one but i haven't tried it.

i'm using this thing, it's not mechanical but the keys feel much nicer than the natural 4000. no osx drivers though.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jony neuemonic posted:

matias makes one but i haven't tried it.

i'm using this thing, it's not mechanical but the keys feel much nicer than the natural 4000. no osx drivers though.

the sculpt looks alright but I can't use wireless

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that matias one looks great. I'm curious if the govt will spend that much though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

maybe things are different in massive companies idk but where I work the margins are kinda thin and u gotta think about the bottom line

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Which one of you is this?

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/meet-master-old-school-clicky-clacky-keyboard/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

quote:

“When I was a graduate student in neuroscience, I learned these very precise techniques in stereotactic surgery,” Ermita says. “One of them is the availability of using these surgical drills similar to a Dremel, and the ability that you can make very, very precise holes and drills with specialized tools and use micro-screws and special adhesives.” He cuts away the melted ends of broken and weak welds and uses small screws to remount the components in place. Once the keyboard is clean, repaired, and reassembled, he tests it using specialized software to ensure that every key functions with correct spring tension. It all takes 45 minutes to an hour.

quote:

“Computer manufacturers know how to play the number game and how to make a table focusing on the specs of the CPU cores, GPU speed, amount of RAM and screen DPI,” he says. “The human factors of keyboard ergonomics is something that is hard to quantify and has historically been hard to advertise.”

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

quote:

Apple’s Japanese Alps switches of the Model M era wobble like little drunks
:stonkhat:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i am offended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Brain Surgeon Washes Out To Collect, Refurbish, and Sell Keyboards Older Than Most Millennials. Have Techies Gone Too Far?

• Locked thread