Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

As a Millennial I posted:

anyway, my keycaps are whatever keycaps are in an apple extended ii from 1990.

the best keycaps

mine is still working just fine, 25 years on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

triple sulk posted:

i guess mass drop is doing the code kb. i had gotten one off of amazon before but the space bar sounded like poo poo so i returned it. i type all day and don't have a mechanical kb but i haven't found one i really like

acquire an apple extended keyboard ii.

one of us.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

i`ve also got a northgate omnikey ultra which is Owns because it has a lot of keys. Also a bunch of apple extended keyboards II which is Fail because they don't work on modern computer.

Arduino Leonardo and a connector and some software will fix that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

that's totally just a cash register keyboard with different keycaps

right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

I still have the f-key overlay for mine even. it's p sweet.

sweeeeeeeet

bet you don't have the Symbolics MacIvory overlay though

(I don't either, that was from an eBay auction)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

I still want a keyboard with a headphone jack in it

no you don't

you want a USB stereo 24bit/192kHz DAC with tube amplifier to plug your headphones into

then you can choose the best possible mechanical keyboard without compromising either keyboard or audio quality

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Lone_Strider posted:

no problems here friend, to each his own board and switch. Enjoy your feeling :respek:

however filthy membrane lovers can get the gently caress out

why would you spoiler truth?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

surebet posted:

seeing all these 10keyless keyboards has given me an itch, and i need to replace my office one anyway

however it'd be batshit insane for me to work without a numpad

is there a cool couple independant numpads i should know about?

get an M0120 and use an Arduino Leonard to interface it to your system when you need it

you could also kick it truly old-school but interfacing will be more of a challenge

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

my $10 model f is good but my coworker found a fuckin Model M SSK someone recycled and bought it

:flashfap:

i sometimes wish I had a feed of what was coming through your shop

this is one of those times

model m on my bebox, I should see if I can post from it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

error1 posted:

I have a Logitech G910 Orion Spark, can I be pretentious with you guys or do I have to replace it with something using cherry mx switches?

you should replace it with something using ALPS or Matias ALPS-clone switches

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

are there any quiet mechanical keyboards other than Matias's? i really shouldn't be buying things like that but I miss having a mechanical keyboard at work. I just don't hate my coworkers enough to bring in my keyboard with Cherry MX Blues or my ancient Apple with Alps sliders

plus the apple doesn't have NKRO as far as I can tell and I typo on it constantly

get another ancient Apple keyboard and bring it to work, don't steal the one from your posting station

you should use a keyboard at work that will make your coworkers roll over and show you their membrane bellies

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

numpads are great

especially apple layout numpads with their clear and = keys

don't forget superior ALPS keyswitches

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

surebet posted:

as an accounting & management professional i can confirm

thought you were a boat

:toottoot:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

*leaning out manhattan apartment window* IT'S A PIECE OF poo poo!!

I'm tempted to get one purely for the wtf factor

put it on one of my systems at work then tell people I use a customized layout too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

why are there 3 page down keys????

should be a page down bar

NeXT ADB keyboards had a command bar under the space bar and it was p awesome

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

question for the 'boardheads:

is there a keyboard out there that has a key for teh poo emoji? must ship to NZ

you could get a Planck with custom keycaps with all emoji and program it to generate the Unicode values for all the emoji (at least on a sufficiently pro OS, you might have to write a driver on some)

then you could use it as an auxiliary emoji board for all your rebus posting needs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

kickstart it

hey I'm just the ideas guy

(also my employer would own it if I tried)

if someone made the keycaps and firmware for the Planck I'd totally buy a couple though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

error1 posted:

My entire desk is filled with stuff from http://nixiekits.eu/ and their STC power amp is especially awesome

but do they sell a USB DAC with a tube amp built in?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

wife's Matias Mini Tactile Pro arrived today

feels good to be a mechanical keyboard family

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ooo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

coz im fuckin around with things like blender so much, left hand is on modifiers and right hand is on ye old mouse. i am constantly changing variables n poo poo so having that keypad plus the enter key right next to my mouse - its extreme efficiency, some would even say it suits my needs

you could get one of those MMO mice that has a full keypad on the side

j/k

you should look into a SpacePilot Pro for your 3D needs, I've heard they're p awesome

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

want that Honeywell terminal keyboard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

whoa

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

error1 posted:

Why on earth did they put the index nubs on D and K ?

because that's where they belong, plebian

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Raluek posted:

since they just use alps switches, seems to me like a better (and less destructive) solution would be to either make a custom pcb or find a board that can be populated with alps that has the right layout. then stick the apple keycaps on it. i hate the idea of hacking up my nice old apple keyboards!

fortunately that's what the person who made that actually did

quote:

although im not sure what that pok3r-AEK does any better than a IIGS keyboard, except lacking a numpad

the Apple IIgs keyboard has a totally different feel, much more like the Apple //c

don't know what keyswitches it used but I do want to get my hands on one at some point

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 2, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

jfc it isnt that bad you dorks

and in addition to mechanical keyboards they also have knives

I think I even saw a grappling hook there once that fits on a utility belt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

surebet posted:

tkl is fine, but i'd like a model family that also has tenkey so people can go for what works best for them

Matias Tactile Pro

my wife’s new mini is nice and clacky, but they make a ”quiet“ version that’s supposed to have more the sound and feel of the Apple Extended Keyboard II

you should message several of the companies that make these and say you want to outfit your office with # desks, and see if you can get demo units on loan—some may oblige

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it turns out the key switches I love are not ALPS at all but Mitsumi, which are what the "Made in Japan" AEKII uses

and of course all my backup boards are Made in USA [S] models that have ALPS cream damped switches

need to find a source for more "Made in Japan" AEKIIs

maybe Matias will rescue my by cloning the Mitsumi switches too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maybe they have a keyboard museum

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

refleks posted:

please if i was norwegian i would be swiming in dat oil money...
stuck in less-rich denmark.

it's all really Denmark anyway isn't it?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

if you have access to real model Ms why would you care about what's close?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

indigi posted:

what's the cheapest good keyboard in your opinions

used Apple Extended Keyboard II via eBay or your local tech resale shop that carries old Mac stuff

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the once and future king, with a keyboard fit for one

wb rotor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

indigi posted:

all the Apple Extended IIs I can find are browned and dirty looking. what's another option

like most mechanical keyboards they can be disassembled and cleaned easily with soap & water

and with a little retr0brite and they can look as good as new

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

i wonder if theres some special nkro that makes it so if you rest your entire arm on the keyboard the numpad still works

arm detection like palm detection on a trackpad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm the neon genesis evangelion button

trap sprung

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

went to Weird Stuff after goonburger yesterday and acquired another Apple Extended Keyboard II

the last one I got there was $5, this one was $50, they're starting to recognize their value

but I'm so pleased, it's another made-in-Japan model with Mitsumi key switches so it has that perfect feel

not sure whether to use it as a backup for my work daily driver, or to switch from the USA/ALPS model I have at home (after cleaning it up, of course, it's pretty grimy)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

what if I want a CHEAP mechanical keyboard

you can find suckers selling an Apple Extended Keyboard II for under $50

then you just need to get a Griffin iMate ABB-USB adaptor, or make one with an Arduino Leonardo or other little USB HID microcontroller board that can deal with 5V (the software for them already exists, it's basically just a wiring job)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

i have an Apple Extended Keyboard I and I can't deal with the lack of NKRO or ghosting or whatever, it drives me nuts to the point I don't use it with my iMate

would building the leonardo hid board give me some tunables to work around that or is this just an issue inherent to the keyboard?

pretty sure it's an issue with the keyboard and not the iMate, probably related to how the matrix is scanned or the software on its controller or something, it's not a limit in the ADB protocol

in those days very few people did NKRO (though it did exist, Symbolics touted it, but on a Lisp machine you need NKRO just for the meta keys…)

if you wanted to really be creative you could see about replacing the low-level electronics in your AEKI with some of your own (like a Leonardo) to get NKRO, you probably wouldn't have to replace more than the controller since the key matrix should be just dumb plumbing, I doubt the key matrix itself would be a source of rollover issues since it did support several arbitrary keys at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

f and j have these lil nubs you can feel around for so you know where your index fingers go without looking

d and k on real keyboards

• Locked thread