Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

surebet posted:

any suggestions for a mouse to pair it up with?

e: 3 button mouse preferred

you want an IBM M-SF15 or M-S30 PS/2 3-button mouse

it's the canonical mouse to pair with a Model M because it's what IBM shipped with the RS/6000

I'll post a pic tonight, I use one with the Model M on my BeBox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I was actually incorrect about the model though, here's mine:

it's an IBM M-SB9-6MD with a 3-4m cable

Apple Extended Keyboard II with ALPS cream keyswitches for scale

the mouse and its associated Model M keyboard used to plug into an early-1990s RS/6000 the size and shape of a two-drawer filing cabinet

I'm pretty sure that system ran Taligent since I scavenged a complete set of Taligent docs at the same time as the mouse & keyboard (alas I couldn't keep the system itself or find any CDs)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

if you ever come across a Taligent CD set I want it

also, according to people I know who have one, the CD set that employees got when IBM finally shipped the Taligent Application Environment 1.0 and developer tools for AIX (in like 1996, lol) wasn't actually a real CD set: the CDs were printed, but empty

IBM was worried about the software getting out without a properly executed license agreement and support contract or something

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

good keyboard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I had
to make a story for a family talent show for Xmas eve. I smoked a fat bowl and sat down and blasted it out on my mechanical keybapds. God it felt great

tell us the story

I can tell when my wife is dealing with a jackass on social media thanks to the Matais I got her, it sounds just beautiful as she pounds out a glorious point by point evisceration

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

tangent: i have a huge asus gamer laptop that i inherited from a friend. its insanely huge. but i want to put it on a little stand like i see ppl do so i can engage in keyboard fetishism at work and nto need to type on its little KB. any suggestions from The Pos? i think most stands are designed for little computers. but this computer is big. extremely big.

Massdrop has a Vivo stand drop right now that claims to work for portables up to 22 pounds

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

in the future, true pro keyboards will require a tube preamp for that rich full sound

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what about sun type 4

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

surebet posted:

not to mention the extra fucky tiny f keys

those have a particular, satisfying feel to them though

they just go click when you press them, exactly like you think they should

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

just picked up a Sun Type 7 because my officemate prefers quiet and Sun made the only deece feeling rubber dome keyboards

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

GameCube posted:

just chalked up another compliment on my Apple Extended II.

what model? (there's a handy guide on deskthority)

the made-in-Japan model from 1989 has Mitsumi, not ALPS, keyswitches—which I find superior are totally inferior and you should find an ALPS board and let me take your Mitsumi board and dispose of it properly if that's what you have

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

duckfarts posted:

try one of these:

is a good mouse

you can even get a non optical version

and it's very easy to interface, you can basically go straight through a 5V (not RS-232) USB serial adapter at 1200bps 8/N/1, or use the UART on an Arduino and also use it to present a USB HID to your system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

There Will Be Penalty posted:

hp mouse best mouse

I still haven't gotten my HP-HIL interface working :(

stupid 100kbps 12/O/1 serial protocol

seriously considering making a custom UART in a CPLD since nothing can do 12-bit serial

eschaton fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 17, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

new Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard

going to use it on a secondary system at work

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Marzzle posted:

are these the old timey alps switches? are you just using an ADB-USB adapter and if so does it work pretty well?

i have some old apple mech KBs but the ADB thing has sorta always turned me off from using them on a computer without the port.

the one I have is a new-label made-in-Japan so I'm pretty sure it's ALPS, there's also an SMK variant though

the Griffin iMate is $30 or on eBay and works well in my experience, no drivers necessary. if you have one that's dropping key presses you should open it and replace the battery (!) which can make it flaky when run down

the battery is really only used to make the power key actually start up an old system (original iMac or B&W G3) anyway

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Raluek posted:

the adapter i have is not an imate, it is something older than that i think, but ill look to see if it has a battery. that would explain the "am i that bad at keyboard all of a sudden???" moments

oh, I have no idea if the other couple common adapters are any good, or how they're put together, I've only ever used the iMate

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so, what is it ?

and ruin the adventure for the next person who wants one?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

please tell me someone has thrown some modern hardware and a HiDPI display in one of these

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

surebet posted:

it gets weirder, 3x1 monitor array in a box:

looks like the sort of thing you'd use to set up a temporary C&C

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

surebet posted:

at that point it's not really a portable thing anymore, it's more like a bunch of open frame monitors on admittedly neat folding mounts

back to keyboars, i've been looking for a solution for mac havers at the office that includes a cac style reader and cherry has a bunch, but a lot of them also have credit card readers and i don't even want to imagine the driver hell i'd jump into trying to implement that under osx

most USB card readers (and barcode readers) just pretend to be keyboards and send keystrokes

most will generate control characters before and after so you can filter the input, and let you customize that easily (a little coding to send packets to the device for card readers, barcode readers often just have a sheet you can scan to change things)

cherry should have technical info available on how their stuff is set up

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

:eyepop:

the Xeon version supports up to 512GB RAM

bound to be defense-procurement prices

too bad it doesn't have a mechanical keyboard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

surebet posted:

office just passed a ban on noisy boars and my model m was specifically cited (lol)

are mx clears the quietest ones in the cherry range? i forget

sounds like a hostile work environment that's not making reasonable accommodation for your wrist and finger pain and risk of carpal tunnel syndrome

you should bring this up with HR

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

FopeDush posted:

your life becomes miserable the second you sit down at any computer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

still disappointed nobody itt has fessed up to being mr data hands

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rotor posted:

i purchased one of these in a store and played a video game with it, it was great.

original Descent right?

we had a couple Spaceball protos around the office we tried with that

of course keyboard was supreme with MechWarrior 2, my Apple Extended served me well

eschaton fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 11, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

I always bought egg chairs in the sims

those were p sweet in real life with some good tunes piped through their speakers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Skim Milk posted:

:pusheen:

mechanical keyboards: im qwertin here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

guess what has a mechanical keyboard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

could you imagine a mechanical keyboard yostop?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

not authentic, has 1 and 0 keys

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

imagine the clicky click this thing makes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it is quite solidly built

it's also not something I'm using via USB, it's attached to a Symbolics console which is attached to a Symbolics XL400

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you have a working xl400? o_0

just got the XL400, don't know if it works. I need to pull the ESDI drives to ensure they don't eat themselves when I power it up, and the console definitely doesn't work right now (probably needs to be recapped).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I know him, it's on his advice I'm pulling the existing drives.

quote:

and if you actually have working symbolics hardware why the gently caress havent you posted about it before

I just got it yesterday

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

neat

make a big lispy effortpost when you get further along

I may even do that before I get it running, with OpenGenera (Symbolics emulator) and Meroko (TI Explorer)

OSI Bean Dip should also share how he's enjoying the TI Explorer that I sent him for yosmas 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I'm staying in SF during the conference and expected to do other work when I'm not helping developers in a lab or speaking

so I brought my laptop stand and external mouse and mechanical keyboard, the same setup I use at the office

so far it's p needs suiting

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

lol, actually has an LED for num-lock unlike every other single loving pos logitech keyboard. what loving reason would they remove the num-lock LED for why why why?

because using your number pad for anything but numbers is scrub

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

okay so thanks for posting this, i met thefinder/trinitron over the weekend and got to use that mac-hosted lisp machine too

real hard to get used to rubout being where ctrl should be

sweet, how was it? and the camp thing?

and how was the key feel?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it could have used an OS/2 logo instead of a Windows logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

which keyboard is best

Apple Extended Keyboard II with Mitsumi key switches

• Locked thread