Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

As a Millennial I posted:

here it is. a working man's keyboard

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

is there an ergonomic kb with mechanical keys or does such a thing not exist

just going to tell work to get me a ms natural 4000

matias makes one but i haven't tried it.

i'm using this thing, it's not mechanical but the keys feel much nicer than the natural 4000. no osx drivers though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hi keyboard thread,

i'm guessing the happy hacking keyboard isn't worth the ridiculous price to get it to canada, y/n?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

was actually thinking about getting a mini tactile pro, since i want a mac-friendly tenkeyless.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i like that the layout takes finger lengths into account, seems like it'd be more comfortable than curling your fingers up to sit on the home keys.

haven't used it though, same boat as you: looks cool, awful expensive to blind buy.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

pram posted:

for yr benefit

pure madness

my god that looks miserable.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i wound up going with a filco ninja with blues. it should be here tomorrow. welp that's my story.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

error1 posted:

Do you all live in tiny japanese apartments or the back seat of car or something? What valid reasons are there to want half a keyboard?

tenkeyless puts your mouse closer to your keyboard, so it's supposed to be better for ergonomics. that + never using a numpad anyway is why i went for one.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

surebet posted:

large hands supremacy, i'm an inch short of covering a full size keyboard from right ctrl to esc with a single hand

:stare:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

triple sulk posted:

ahahahah look @ this

i'm the hail satan keys.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

filco arrived today. it is very needs suiting, echinopsis is 100% right about blues god drat.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

the only feels i have going on is the silky smooth keyfeel of cherry blues :cool:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

how could you live without home, end, p-up, p-down, and delete?

lotta tenkeyless keyboards still have those, just no numpad.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i keep thinking about getting some fun keycaps for my filco but it seems silly to spend $50 for no reason.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

this is cool.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

yospos' love of ega colors knows no bounds

it's true.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i've only had my filco ping once, and it was the weirdest sound.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

so i got this one

unicomp ultra classic
it's supposed to be like Model M. i have no idea if that's the case, but it's very clicky and i am liking it a lot. also it was on massdrop and somehow i got it like 3 weeks earlier than they said it would ship. i'm a huge keyboard newb so i can't compare it to much, but it's 9000 times better than the old factory mush kb i had

hell yeah.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

aren't greens designed to feel like the buckling springs on a model m?

you can also just get a model m from unicomp, they still make them.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

echinopsis coined blues clues club before he betrayed us for clears.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i have a code at work and the keys went shiny immediately. clears are real good though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

surebet posted:

christ what even has greens anymore?

they're an option on wasd's boards.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Skim Milk posted:

code w/ clears ordered :feelsgood:

good board. get ready to buy replacement caps though, the stock ones get shiny and gross almost immediately.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

minivanmegafun posted:

MX brown? you could say they

don't really click

:smugdog:

dang.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

I definitely want to give Cherry Blue switches a try some day, now.

they're nice, but clears are nicer.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

my code w/ clears at work is making it so hard to come home to blues.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i really want to try one of these but i use the f-keys all the time, so i should probably stick to regular tenkeyless.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hnnnggghhh.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

:rip: das.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

maniacdevnull posted:

whats a good, quiet starter mech keyboard? are brown/clear switches the way to go for quiet typing?

i use clears at the office without o-rings and haven't had anyone mention it. i'm a light typist though, most of my coworkers using rubber dome keyboards are louder.

code with clears is good board, and just about everything else with clears seems to be out of stock everywhere. that's what i'd go with. the caps will get shiny and gross but you can always swap them out later.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i want to try a topre board but i don't know how much resistance to go for and that's a pretty expensive guessing game.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

guess i want 55g then, i prefer clears over blues.

thanks thread and :rip: wallet.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

had to go back to blues, clears started to murder my weak programmer hands.

sorry echi.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

crosspostin from greyforum keyboard thread. look at my beautiful monster baby

would.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

shouldn't have a numpad anyway.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

minivanmegafun posted:

also god blues are loud

are you bottoming them out? blues sound like a machine gun if you type too hard.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

keyboard autists keep going on about not bottoming out on mechanical boards or whatever the gently caress and i am absolutely convinced it is total loving bullshit

i slam on my keys and poo poo goes click-clack-slap and who gives a gently caress, the letters show up on the screen and im comfortable. why do you have to stop at the exact point the switch actuates? is there any proof of this being "proper" or in any way better?? i've tried not bottoming out and it just makes my wrists tense the gently caress up and hurts like hell. it's all a bunch of geekhack.org circle-jerking horseshit

if you have to consciously try to not slam the keys down, yeah your hands are gonna hurt. mine hurt if i bottom out a lot. imo you want switches that are stiff enough that you naturally stop before then. just a comfort thing, but ymmv.

(clears. you want clears).

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm thinking about getting a freestyle, but maybe i should just bite the bullet and go advantage.

:homebrew: though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

theyre more than just bad

they're backlit ABS keys that aren't doubleshot. The keys are clear and the black background & letter outline is basically painted on. It starts coming off almost immediately.

I know you can get WASD boards with no keycaps then buy your own doubleshots, but I don't know if they sell codes with no keycaps. Either way you're almost better just snagging something equivalent on assdrop that doesn't have stupid defects

mine aren't that bad yet but they're shiny and feel awful. they're easy enough to replace and i'm going to because SUNK COST, but the thing isn't really worth what it + pbts cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

AWWNAW posted:

how do clears feel compared to blues friends

stiff and heavy. they're pretty different

• Locked thread