Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bloody posted:

still disappointed nobody itt has fessed up to using data hands

when I have my own art studio someday that people will be interviewing me in and taking photos of, I'm definitely gonna hide my normal keyboards and have a pair of those and some esoteric mouse in front of my weird computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I use an IBM Model M because I'm not a loving scrub-tier typist. I'm considering buying a Soarer's Converter to upgrade to a Model F.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if you pay $500 for an egrodix you might as well pay $1000 for a datahand.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

evilcat posted:

Why does it have a return lever? Why does it have a feed roll and feed knobs? Why does it have a regular enter key if the return lever also does the enter and they're trying to pretend to be a typewriter? Why does it have 1 and 0 keys if it's pretending to be a typewriter? Are people who want to play at using old tech ironically without actually having to use old tech just that easily confused by the missing 1 and 0?
Also why are they using the really old style of typewriter key as those went obsolete long before typewriters did for good reasons.
The whole thing confuses me, especially the quotes about it. If someone wants to kick the nostalgia factor up or longs for the days of typewriters, they're still pretty cheap and ribbons can still be found for most of them and getting and fixing one up would cost less than buying that keyboard.

It's "qwerky" that's loving why

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

it's the buckling spring song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPqr1nw1imw

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ArmZ posted:

lol if you don't need a numpad for your multitude of counterstirke binds

i think you mean "HLSS"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

i found my old Model F 5150

not my pic, but this exact layout. mine looks great, practically new. wired it up to an ardunio for a q&d test and looks like it still works great.
what have you people done to me

probably going to write my own arduino code for this thing because i need a new nerd project.

you can hook it up to a modern computer with a Soarer's Converter

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

finaly found my modem l i n the storeage unit the other day ant ist hooked up and the hhksb lite is remove and it is so loving soft and click i love it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

wow thats pricey

i like the buckling springs in the model f i got up and running but it is loud af and either i keep it here and my family kills me or i take it to work and my coworkers kill me. also the weird layout is hard to get used to.

whats a good, quiet starter mech keyboard? are brown/clear switches the way to go for quiet typing?

IBM Model M with the Floss Mod

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

buckling spring is better than the other ones.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

now that i've said that, a cooler master cm storm quick fire rapid came into work. all the switches work and i bought it for $5

only issue is it doesn't have any keycaps but i can type alright without them

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

would i rather buy a keycap set, or a soarer's converter to use my model F??? hmmm

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

why would i want to do that

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

surebet posted:

not the same board obviously but pretty much the exact aesthetics i'm thinking of going for w/ a round 7

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

the keyboard collector fuccbois are taking them to harvest their key switches and keycaps

loving christ

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

someone recycled this, and i just found two more

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

three eleven-pound chunks of cast aluminum

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PBT tripleshots with orange APL legends, grey/white modifier keys, white alpha keys, 9-key-long PBT spacebar, and Attribute Select.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My keyboard has keys for both reverse video and blink.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

it's like if you combined a buckling spring switch and a topre switch, made it completely buttery smooth with almost no increase in force until actuation, and made it take only 55g of force

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

What does field mark do? Also the key below it?

My code with clears will arrive this week can't wait to be clackin

field mark marks a field (3270 terminals were significantly smarter than non-IBM terminals and worked with fields instead of just lines and poo poo)

for some reason this thing has the "INS" and "DEL" keys replaced with the equivalent proofreaders' marks. perhaps it was meant to be used by non-technical women and/or children.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Not only does the action of the beam spring provide a tactile pop that pushes against your finger on the upstroke... but the shape of the spring means that the key vibrates when it actuates, and you can feel it ringing under your finger.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

is the joke that i can only read this in patrick bateman's voice?

I've described this keyboard multiple times in multiple places and each time someone's said something about me sounding like Patrick Bateman.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/58u3ry/i_work_at_an_electronics_recycler_people_drop_off/d93kdtf/

quote:

I am so glad you chose to rescue it!
I've never had the privilege of using a beam spring keyboard.
As a form of voyeurism, could you please describe it?

me posted:

Heavy. Corporate. Industrial. Made for Data Entry, continuously and in perpetuity. Half of the interface between an IBM System/360 Computer and its users.

Having only used cylindrical caps before, it's hard to properly center my fingers on the keys while touch-typing, but I can still type quickly.

It's got the smoothest-rising force profile I've ever felt in a keyboard, and a break like crystal glass tapped with the point of a carbide punch. The keys have a little side-to-side play, but not too much. The click is restrained, subtle; entirely unlike a Model M's. The sections of the keyboard are segmented by tall, painted metal partitions, so that it is impossible to misplace your hands.

The cable is shielded, with the last few inches exposed, and a grounding strap attached to that so you can tie your hardware together as one shielded system to avoid RFI on long cable runs.

The palmrest pops open; it is spring-loaded, held by a latch. Inside is a troubleshooting guide; if your 3278 Color Display Terminal is functioning incorrectly, you consult that.

The base of the keyboard has substantial rubber feet, an inch across and a sixth thick, each installed in their own special location on the solid cast aluminum tub that makes up the keyboard's structure, and most of its eleven pounds.

A special plastic container flips open from the bottom of the keyboard; it contains the Device Log. These keyboards have never required service from an IBM engineer, and have no entries.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The F and J keys have a deeper depression, to encourage correct finger placement.

My god, it even has a solenoid.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

This post is cancer

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

waiting for the group buy of xwhatsit beam spring controllers and a solenoid driver to hurry up

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

surebet posted:

moved back to an open office space, coworkers vetoed the model m after 35 minutes and it has received an official eviction notice

at least i got bribed to ease the pain:

reqs:
- must be fairly silent
- vintage preferred, modern tolerated
- backlit not desired
- tenkey critical
- ps/2 preferred
- winkey optional, but appreciated

something with browns or clears should fit the bill nicely

model Fs and beam springs have a quieter click than a model M

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

b0red posted:

lol to anyone who shits on topre and hasn't spent a week or two on it

I've never used a Topre keyboard and I'm sure they feel like garbage compared to my 𝓑𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓢𝓹𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓼.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

there's apparently an analog keyboard coming out

at least some of the keys have continuous sensing as they travel and can interface with games like a controller?

the demo video had someone moving very slowly in overwatch by lightly touching the key

i'd like one of those but only the left-hand half of the keyboard because i already have a good board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't understand why there aren't more people making kinesis/maltron clones

once you go bowls you never go back

Some of us like to use our keyboards to do actual work (video gaming), thank you very much

• Locked thread