Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i got some reds and their not stiff enough for me
like anytime i place my hands on the board i accidentally type a j because i guess i rest my index finger harder than the others, but goddamn everytime its a j

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

where do i buy cool keycaps.

i looked at some guide online and there are entirely too many words and charts and graphs and i really don't care that much

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

mad.radhu posted:

I have a mechanical keyboard but those dolche caps cost more than the keyboard itself

wtf

in that case ignore my previous post
i'm no longer interested

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

mad.radhu posted:

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-dolch-set-base-set-110-total-keys

otoh they look really nice, and come with stuff like F and J keys without finger-nubs

i don't really want the words PIMP MY KEYBOARD.COM to show up on my credit card statement

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

echinopsis posted:

banggood.com and they're poo poo

keycaps can be too thin and feel cheap. i thnk

but they're all just plastic???

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I don't get it. you can't just buy some keycaps like a normal person?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i use a password that is a combination of numbers and letters I can type with my left hand, so with a 10key i can punch in my password real fast without awkwardly using the top row.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i don't see any keyboard on this page

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

error1 posted:

You have to log in for that site to work correctly for some reason.

:pwn:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i picked up my board for 60 bux on sale from Monoprice when they still sold mechanical keyboards

its a shame they don't have them anymore because i can't imagine paying more than $100 for a keyboard and this thing is seriously ownage

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

the last two things on my desk to replace with Monoprice gear is my mouse and my speakers

no joke, my keyboard, monitor, mousepad, and even my iPhone case have a monoprice logo on them. Not to mention all the cables

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

surebet posted:

being tall sucks for a couple reasons like shopping for shoes and clothes, but you won't shame my freak hands :colbert:

on the topic of freaky things, rekey this and it's kinda hot, an extensible numpad with plenty of space for custom mapping

e: https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=72mshdu45hi092b0s9hjhmfog6n1pg4m&topic=43183.0

scroll lock dead center? are you kidding me??

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

why are there 3 page down keys????

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i don't think i could tell the difference between two types of plastic tbqh

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

people keep posting these assdrop links and i can't see any keyboards on them

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Raluek posted:

if you arent logged in (theres a login on bugmenot, if you care) just add
pre:
?mode=guest_open
to the yerl

i really like how when you do this and you click literally anywhere on the page it opens up a modal dialog that badgers you to login that you can't close

really makes me want to make an account... NOT

Baxate fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 2, 2015

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

pram posted:

jfc it isnt that bad you dorks

i have zero intention of spending $100 on keycaps, i just want to look at them, but i'm not interested enough to make an account or memorize one weird url trick

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

surebet posted:

dolch cap set back on assdrop

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dsa-do...uest%20Launched

they're made by sp but it's not the same set as the round 4/5/5a/whatevs so whoever got on those still retains nerd supremacy

seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on that one, any suggestion on a suitable 10key keyboard to go with that would enhance the vintage-isness?

cool but not 80 dollars cool

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ya i just dont get it

i paid 60 bucks for my mechanical board that came with perfectly acceptable keycaps, but that set of caps costs more than my entire keyboard for what amounts to basically little bits of lego

i guess thats not a good argument because legos are also ridiculously expensive because nerds gobble that poo poo up

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

or maybe a monoprice keyboard?? they come with reds or blues and have full n-key rollover

I use my numpad all the time so I want one anyway

ya this
but 2 of their 3 current models have the wrong enter key for some reason...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

is it possible to buy a mechanical board that doesn't have backlighting? ugh

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

surebet posted:

i've yet to see a kb with lights you couldn't toggle off if you prefer

ya I have the lights on mine toggled off but I feel like it just added to the already exorbitant price and because of it it has ugly semi translucent keycaps so the backlight I don't use can shine through

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

f and j have these lil nubs you can feel around for so you know where your index fingers go without looking

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

actually he is correct and smart

this

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Diabeesting posted:

I don't know why I actually read through 20 pages of this thread, It's like watching autism in its purest form manifest itself in keycaps. I can't look away. It's taken hold. I'm being drawn in.

Time to regale you all with a horror story that will make you clutch your beloved in terror. The best mechanical keyboard I ever used was the $60 monoprice brick with genuine cherry blues from before they switched to knockoffs and doubled the price. It wasn't terribly pretty, made entirely from shiny ABS plastic and weighed a hefty few pounds. everything was spaced perfectly for my gimp hands to reach, it had a wonderfully useful 10key (gently caress the haters, you're all monsters) and no gaudy backlighting.
Then my bird betrayed me in a way most foul. She was ill, with bird diarrhea, and for some reason I thought she would be okay if I left her alone while I took a shower... I was wrong. She climbed up onto my desk and laid a big watery poo poo right onto the WASD cluster and even the most thorough cleaning has left everything left of the F key unresponsive.

I replaced it with the cheapest mech I could find with genuine blue switches... A Logitech 710+. It's awful. There's like 2inches of wasted space on each side that serve no purpose except taking up even more of a footprint on a crowded desk, and I still haven't found a use for the difficult to hit G programmable keys to the left of tab. Even the blue switches dont feel as nice as the ones on the monoprice. I hate myself for not spending the extra 30bux and getting a WASD.

I too have an older Monoprice keyboard that I naively bought with reds. its really great though

looking for a new 'board to use at work but everything is riddled with gamer AIDS these days I don't know what to buy

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i found this website called mechanicalkeyboards.com and i bought a Ducky One with cherry mx browns and white & grey pbt 'caps and it looks classy and i really like it so far!!

don't care for the ducky logo on the meta keys but you can't win em all

Baxate fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 30, 2016

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

who'da thought you could still type in thing you want.com and find the actual thing you want in this day and age

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

dont buy reds hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

should have posted this earlier so you goons would have a chance at this daily deal

• Locked thread