Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0red
Apr 3, 2013

why are happy hacking keyboards so much muney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

the Poker keyboard people were gushing bout in this thread is on sale on massdrop
https://www1.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-poker-iii-compact-keyboard

i need some neat keycaps for my KB but i don't want to spend the crazy $$$ on those ones pram has

looks v nice. might pick one up

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kinda want a happy hacking. apparently torpe is real nice.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

but are they $200 nice. I would hope someone sells nice a travel case for them as well.

tbh gonna just stash $50 in a jar everytime i get paid than pick one up

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I've had a blue cooler master mech for awhile. $50, bouncy with poo poo fonts on the caps.

just waiting for a happy hacking v3. or maybe I'll just break down this summer and snag one. I look at everything else and torpe just seems right

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

a nice keyboard is good and all but it's not complete without a comfy desk/chair

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

face it. you'll never have a girl do this for you

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

thinking of replacing my 5-6 year old cmstorm with a pok3r. idk maybe i'll just be stupid af and get a hhkb 2

b0red fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 7, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

what do, thread

get dragon naturallyspeaking instead

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

well my hhkb2 came in. pbt keys feel great and the bounce of the topre is cool.

so far so good. probably post a real trip report after a week or two but i already like this way more than my cm quickfire that i've had for 5 years.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

that font jesus

soo hackerman.

can't get much worse than this though

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

faxlore posted:

I have a CM storm and I just got a different keycap set and it's a p. good keyboard all around

I've had my mx blue one for 5 years. Plus it's on the cheaper end.

great board for what it is.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dodoman posted:

the font on the logitech or the ducky?

it was the logitech one. it looks bad. i mostly just don't like any fonts that look like that and putting anything on the keyboard is bad.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

faxlore posted:

convince me not to blow money on topre switches because i used a topre keyboard recently and it made my blues feel like garbage, tia

went from mx blue to topre. it's a pretty nice change. not that loud either by comparison.

what board you getting?

also absolutely loving my hhkb2.

if they come out with a v3, i'll definitely pick one up after a year or so

b0red fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 14, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

lol nice 10keyless with missing windows key and hosed up control/alt

I use emacs so I've always had caps lock as control. There is also a Mac in the background if you didn't notice, it has the Mac layout.

anything else I want I've learned its function key + spot in a matter of days.

I don't game.

faxlore posted:

I tried out my buddies leopold ten keyless and I really liked it. I don't know if I could get the HHKB cause I don't really dig the layout that much.

I wouldn't have got it if I didn't live inside emacs and terminal for a living. my other choice was gonna be the Leopold FC660c, it looks pretty solid.

b0red fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 15, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

linux and linux text editors... have u no shame??

you like volume rollers, numpads, logitech and windows. could ask you the same thing

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

does that logitech need any special driver or is it plug and play

i don't think any keyboard in 2016 needs drivers to work

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

ArmZ posted:

lol if you don't need a numpad for your multitude of counterstirke binds

back when i played a lot of CS this was all i ever used my numpad for. easiest way to buy all your weapons/armor in a matter of seconds.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

even than if it does require some sort of drivers most keyboards/mice have onboard memory now and that software is just there to setup your initial macros/gamerz config. I that lovely logitech config thing back in 2009 for my g9, setup a few profiles, deleted it and have never had to touch it since.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

well, i'm asking because i want a better keyboard at work, and the computer is locked down so i can't install anything that's not on an approved list, which i doubt "logitech extreme gamer control center!!!!" or whatever is on.

Well it depends on what you're trying to spend. You either get the cheaper logitech and configure it at home or blow a bit more dosh for a mech that has programmable macros built straight into it which many do. pok3r can do it iirc but you seem like you want a full keyboard.

this das is fullsize and has macros
http://www.divisionzerogaming.com/x40/
althought it looks a bit extreme mtndew360 imo

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

i don't really care about macros. i just want a keyboard that's nicer to type on than this lovely dell special.

can't go wrong with the cmstorm family, wasd, or das.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

it has a card reader

ultra secure keyboard that only functions if your CAC card is innit

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

is there a mech keyboard worth buying that's $50 instead of $100

cmstorm quickfire is best bang for your buck imo. have had mine for 5 years and it's still working good as new. sometimes it goes on sale and is $50 instead of $80

loving topre tbh but i do miss the blues sometimes.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

having ctrl below tab is the best. who the hell even uses caps lock anymore

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

blank keys + function layers is ultimate hell

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

my current keyboard has function layer for numpad, try that (not my pic)

not bad. I'm sure I could get used to it in a week or so if I actually used the numpad. my hhkb's function layer took about a week to take to muscle memory.

function layers that are printed on the sides are the only way to have them

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

yeah im enjoying using my keyboard, but the only function thing i use, numpad every now and then, took a bit to use

what is that btw? my friend was looking for a tenkeyless v much like that

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

older generation noppo choc mini 84, non-backlit cherry mx black version. if your friend is on a mac, look for something else, since this has fancy nkro over usb stuff that has problems with macs

one complaint i have is that functional buttons are rub off over time. i have this keyboard since january 2015 and plenty of fn labels have partially or completely rubbed off. other than that's i like it a lot, mx black is nice switch for me, and it's built like a brick. i'd instantly buy another one if they rework it with better fn labels, and detachable cable (thought i havent had any problems with the cable insofar)

cheers and he's 100% windows so i don't think it'll be a problem.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

streetlamp posted:

warning my poker II is now v cute

(excuse the terrible photo)

does this have v subtle white on white lettering?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

i got a paracord usb cable for my keyboard

shame it didn't match the control key exactly.

b0red fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 6, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Hi im looking for a keyboard. it must be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more reberu (thats japanese for 2 layers) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 100-200 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching paracord. OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of ABS. It has to be made of PBT, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a keyboard similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was cherry MX, and i dont want my yubi (fingers) to touch an inferior keycap ( I need torpe made by superior japanese)

youre trying to hard. ineffective burn.

found your keyboard waifu anyway

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

lmao at paying $40+ for single bespoken keycaps

blowfish do look cool though

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

screw you b0red this is a great post

if it's from reddit/real i'd laugh but all the english translations are a bit much since no one would do that

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

it doesn't matter. props for even effortposting.

here are some unconventional setups

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is dope except look at the angle on that fuckin spacebar(s) wth

use both thumbs with nkey roll over for maximum s p a c e e f f i c i e n c y

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

do you seriously not recognize or know the source material

haven't ever heard that copypasta but i guess now i do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

I sold my HHKB2 pro because it hurts my wrists so badly but now I want to buy a 40% keyboard. I'm pretty sure this is a disease.

tenkeyless keyboards hurt your wrists? get a fat pad to keep'em straight

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

this keyboard has blues which i guess are 'the most clicky' ?

blues are a good place to start because they're the loudest and will annoy everyone

• Locked thread